Review: could Imodium cause Diverticulitis?
Summary: Diverticulitis is found among people who take Imodium, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 9,693 people who have side effects while taking Imodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 69 have Diverticulitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Diverticulitis and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Imodium and have Diverticulitis >>>
Imodium has active ingredients of loperamide hydrochloride. It is often used in diarrhea. (latest outcomes from Imodium 10,171 users)
Diverticulitis (digestive disease which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) within the bowel wall) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, multiple myeloma.(latest reports from Diverticulitis 10,000 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 9,693 people reported to have side effects when taking Imodium. Among them, 69 people (0.71%) have Diverticulitis.
Time on Imodium when people have Diverticulitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Diverticulitis when taking Imodium * :
Age of people who have Diverticulitis when taking Imodium * :
Severity of Diverticulitis when taking Imodium ** :
How people recovered from Diverticulitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (14 people, 20.29%)
- Pain (12 people, 17.39%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (11 people, 15.94%)
- Diarrhoea (11 people, 15.94%)
- Prophylaxis (8 people, 11.59%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (17 people, 24.64%)
- Vancomycin (16 people, 23.19%)
- Multi-vitamins (15 people, 21.74%)
- Claritin (14 people, 20.29%)
- Xanax (14 people, 20.29%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Diverticulitis while taking Imodium?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Imodium and have Diverticulitis
- support group for people who take Imodium
- support group for people who have Diverticulitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Has remicaid caused flair ups with diverticulitis?
Just had 2 infusions and now having diverticulitis again.
- Alprazolam & amoxicillin
Have Diverticulitis from having Diverticulosis. Have had high blood pressure for
about 4 years and it is controlled with the Norvasc & Clonidine. Enlarged prostate is controlled with Flomax & Avodart. Meclizine is for vertigo, take 2 25mg per day, 1 Am & 1 PM. Take 1 Norvasc AM & 1 Flomax PM.
- Any success in treating symptoms of pmdd with wild yam root
Hi All. A little over a year and a half ago, I was dx with Pre Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)and was prescribed YASMIN (YAZ) to treat the severe mood changes and suicidal thoughts I was getting 2 weeks out of every 4. The YASMIN worked brilliantly for 9 months and all the PMDD symptoms vanished. Great - Not!
Month 10 on YASMIN saw me hospitalised from it with a DVT. I have since tested positive for the blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden which means I can no longer take any oestrogen based OCP. So my problem currently is that I have nightmarish PMDD and a Gynae/Shrink and GP all scratching their heads unable to find anything to treat me with. I should mention that I have been on all the SSRI's over the years for GAD so we know these prove ineffective for PMDD.
I came across a vitamin supplement called WILD YAM ROOT that may help PMDD symptoms. Its the psychological torment I want to treat mainly. Bloating, cramping etc I can deal with. The anger, the hysterical bouts of crying, the suicidal thoughts etc I can't deal with and I am very very scared.
I was wondering if anyone else out there suffering from PMDD has had any help by taking WILD YAM as I am at my wit's end with this disorder and would really appreciate replies from any ladies who have found WILD YAM worked for them or didn't work for them or any other drug/vitamin supplement that I could try. I am so scared of ending up in a Psych hospital for half of every month if this is left untreated. I'm sorry for writing so much and thank everyone who took the time to read this and offer any ideas. Kate
- I am taking prednislone for polymyalgia rhuematica and symbicourt and ventolin for copd are there any known reactions for taking these medications (1 answer)
since taking these 3 drugs,I am getting cramp in my fingers and also my legs, are these all side effects, sometimes I feel a little dizzy
- Bethanechol is helping my anxiety and stress and my doctor does not know why (1 answer)
Want to know why the bethanechol 25mg helps me so much in my anxiety both in bladder as well as my mood?
I have been using bethanechol 25mg the past few months and have developed diarrhea with no explanation why. I was taken off bethanechol chloride because they felt it may have been the reason for my diarrhea . I developed my lower belly anxiety again while off. Was put back on because they don't think it has been the cause of the diarrhea . I am again getting great relief from my anxiety. i now and the doctors dont understand why I am getting such good relief from it. I believe this is a clue to why I have to deal with such discomfort in my abdominal area both front and back. I currently have pain in lower back that keeps me from being active and possibly not sleeping correctly. I have had pain so bad it took over a day on an ice pack to get relief. I wake up with anxiety and back pain every morning and also when when I lay down at night it aggravates my lower back pain and get pressure on my belly area as well. I have had an mri and am set up for a consult for a cortizone shot into my spine. I do not know for sure if this a good idea to be done or not. I have not injured my back in that area unless it happened about 6 years ago and believe they are still missing something.
More questions for: Imodium, Diverticulitis
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Bone infections involving my teeth crohns and prednisone over the past 12 years
Dentist  tell me the abscesses are in the bones and I've had several root canals, bridges, bone surgeries that last 3 years, teeth became so mobile after the bone economy I had them pulled and now a partial one month ago. Bone loss etc. I don't have the ridges in my mouth that most Crohn patients have. Appears to affect the upper teeth.
Crohns diagnosed at the age of 39. Moderate to severe.
Dentists state the problem is the use of prednisone and having Crohn.
More reviews for: Imodium, Diverticulitis
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was on sulfasalazine but made me unwell...changed to methotrexate but stopped because of blood results. Have raised blood sugar from steroids.
Frequent urinary tract infections and self catheterisation. Retinal haemorrhage ( blots and dots) just discovered by optician with severe dry eyes
- I have osteoarthritis and am coeliac. I follow a gluten free diet. Recently I have developed severe stomach pain which comes on about 1 - 2 hours after eating. Ant acids and over the counter medicine such as Gaviscon don't seem to help. It goes away gradually on its own but the occasions are get ...
- I had laprascopici surgery for an inguinal hernia about fifteen months ago, since which time I have suffered bouts of diverticulitis, have developed a midline abdominal hernia adjacent to the site of entry of the laparoscope. Symptoms seem more severe when I am also suffering most from sinus pain a ...
- Alcohol withdrawal was almost complete when the doc decided to order my first Revia pill. The reaction was almost immediately after I swallowed it. What I couldn't find a word for in the adverse outcome drop-down list was a feeling of heat or acid burn starting in my midsection then radiating out ...
- I recovered from hepatitis c some years back, and have loose bowels, and fibromyalgia since. My symptoms wax and wane, but wonder if I could have encephalopathy. I use a fair amount, 7, sometimes more a day.
More related studies for: Imodium, Diverticulitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.