Review: could Imodium cause Diverticulitis?
Summary: Diverticulitis is found among people who take Imodium, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 9,696 people who have side effects while taking Imodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 69 have Diverticulitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Diverticulitis and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Imodium and have Diverticulitis >>>
Imodium has active ingredients of loperamide hydrochloride. It is often used in diarrhea. (latest outcomes from 10,175 Imodium users)
Diverticulitis (digestive disease which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) within the bowel wall) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 10,152 Diverticulitis patients)
On Mar, 31, 2015: 9,696 people reported to have side effects when taking Imodium. Among them, 69 people (0.71%) have Diverticulitis.
Time on Imodium when people have Diverticulitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Diverticulitis when taking Imodium * :
Age of people who have Diverticulitis when taking Imodium * :
Severity of Diverticulitis when taking Imodium ** :
How people recovered from Diverticulitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (14 people, 20.29%)
- Pain (12 people, 17.39%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (11 people, 15.94%)
- Diarrhoea (11 people, 15.94%)
- Prophylaxis (8 people, 11.59%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (17 people, 24.64%)
- Vancomycin (16 people, 23.19%)
- Multi-vitamins (15 people, 21.74%)
- Claritin (14 people, 20.29%)
- Xanax (14 people, 20.29%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of imodium and diverticulitis on
Do you have Diverticulitis while taking Imodium?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Imodium and have Diverticulitis
- support group for people who take Imodium
- support group for people who have Diverticulitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Escitalopram for a 55-year old woman with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. The patient has Diverticulitis, Severe Back Pain Radiating Down Leg Back And Front
- A study of drug interactions between Loperamide Hydrochloride, Warfarin Sodium, Sotalol Hydrochloride for a 72-year old man with Diarrhoea, Atrial Fibrillation. The patient has Diarrhoea
- A study of side effects of Imodium for a 62-year old woman with Bowel Obstruction.
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metoprolol Succinate, Flomax, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Hydrodiuril, Finasteride, Imodium for a 75-year old man with Hypercholesterolaemia, Hypertension - Essential, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Anxiety, Fluid Retention, Diarrhea. The patient has Urinary Retention
- A study of drug interactions between Metronidazole, Ciprofloxacin, Nasonex, Losartan Potassium for a 56-year old woman with Infection, Allergies, Hbp. The patient has Diverticulitis
Recent Imodium related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Carbidopa And Levodopa, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 82-year old man who has Parkinson's Disease And Diarrhea
- Comparions of Chloroquine Phosphate, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 45-year old woman who has Undefined
- Comparions of Acetazolamide, Dimenhydrinate, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 27-year old man who has Altitude Sickness
- Comparions of Imodium, Lomotil for a 93-year old woman who has Diarrhea,immediately, After Mostly Dinner,I, ,
- Comparions of Bupropion Hydrochloride, Benzphetamine Hydrochloride, Belviq, Phentermine for a 45-year old woman who has Weight Loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.