Review: could Imodium cause Renal failure (Acute kidney failure)?
Summary: Renal failure is found among people who take Imodium, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Ativan, and have Diarrhea.
We study 9,696 people who have side effects while taking Imodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 240 have Renal failure. Find out below who they are, when they have Renal failure and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Imodium and have Renal failure >>>
Imodium has active ingredients of loperamide hydrochloride. It is often used in diarrhea. (latest outcomes from 10,175 Imodium users)
Renal failure (kidney dysfunction) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, coronary artery bypass, diabetes, multiple myeloma, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 72,156 Renal failure patients)
On Apr, 15, 2015: 9,696 people reported to have side effects when taking Imodium. Among them, 240 people (2.48%) have Renal Failure.
Time on Imodium when people have Renal failure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Renal failure||56.00%||44.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Renal failure when taking Imodium * :
|Renal failure||51.60%||48.40% |
Age of people who have Renal failure when taking Imodium * :
|Renal failure||0.00%||0.00%||1.92%||1.44%||1.92%||13.94%||17.31%||63.46% |
Severity of Renal failure when taking Imodium ** :
How people recovered from Renal failure ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diarrhoea (52 people, 21.67%)
- Multiple myeloma (20 people, 8.33%)
- Hypertension (18 people, 7.50%)
- Renal failure (17 people, 7.08%)
- Hiv infection (15 people, 6.25%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ativan (46 people, 19.17%)
- Aspirin (44 people, 18.33%)
- Lasix (44 people, 18.33%)
- Nexium (42 people, 17.50%)
- Prilosec (36 people, 15.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of imodium and renal failure on
Do you have Renal Failure while taking Imodium?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Imodium and have Renal Failure
- support group for people who take Imodium
- support group for people who have Renal Failure
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Zopiclone for a 62-year old woman with Insomnia. The patient has Renal Failure
- A study of drug interactions between Loperamide Hydrochloride, Warfarin Sodium, Sotalol Hydrochloride for a 72-year old man with Diarrhoea, Atrial Fibrillation. The patient has Diarrhoea
- A study of drug interactions between Temazepam, Geodon for a 32-year old woman with Insomnia, Psychosis. The patient has Minor Cognitive Motor Disorder, Gait Abnormal, Dystonia, Dystonia, Tardive Dyskinesia, Acute Kidney Failure, Autonomic Nervous System Imbalance, Parkinsonism, Parkinsonian Crisis
- A study of side effects of Imodium for a 62-year old woman with Bowel Obstruction.
- A study of side effects of Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide for a 57-year old man with Hypertension. The patient has Renal Failure - Acute
Recent Imodium related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Carbidopa And Levodopa, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 82-year old man who has Parkinson's Disease And Diarrhea
- Comparions of Chloroquine Phosphate, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 45-year old woman who has Undefined
- Comparions of Acetazolamide, Dimenhydrinate, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 27-year old man who has Altitude Sickness
- Comparions of Imodium, Lomotil for a 93-year old woman who has Diarrhea,immediately, After Mostly Dinner,I, ,
- Comparions of Bupropion Hydrochloride, Benzphetamine Hydrochloride, Belviq, Phentermine for a 45-year old woman who has Weight Loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.