Review: could Imodium cause Withdrawal syndrome?
Summary: Withdrawal syndrome is found among people who take Imodium, especially for people who are male, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Lorazepam, and have Gastrooesophageal reflux disease.
We study 9,693 people who have side effects while taking Imodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 7 have Withdrawal syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Withdrawal syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Imodium and have Withdrawal syndrome >>>
Imodium has active ingredients of loperamide hydrochloride. It is often used in diarrhea. (latest outcomes from Imodium 10,171 users)
Withdrawal syndrome (a discontinuation syndrome is a set of symptoms occurred due to discontinuation of substance) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, muscle spasticity, back pain.(latest reports from Withdrawal syndrome 9,186 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 9,693 people reported to have side effects when taking Imodium. Among them, 7 people (0.07%) have Withdrawal Syndrome.
Time on Imodium when people have Withdrawal syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Withdrawal syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Withdrawal syndrome when taking Imodium * :
|Withdrawal syndrome||9.09%||90.91% |
Age of people who have Withdrawal syndrome when taking Imodium * :
|Withdrawal syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||63.64%||9.09%||9.09%||18.18% |
Severity of Withdrawal syndrome when taking Imodium ** :
How people recovered from Withdrawal syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (6 people, 85.71%)
- Arrhythmia (6 people, 85.71%)
- Anxiety (6 people, 85.71%)
- Prophylaxis (6 people, 85.71%)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (4 people, 57.14%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lorazepam (7 people, 100.00%)
- Imodium a-d (7 people, 100.00%)
- Toprol-xl (6 people, 85.71%)
- Generic imodium (6 people, 85.71%)
- Prilosec (6 people, 85.71%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Withdrawal Syndrome while taking Imodium?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Imodium and have Withdrawal Syndrome
- support group for people who take Imodium
- support group for people who have Withdrawal Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I am taking prednislone for polymyalgia rhuematica and symbicourt and ventolin for copd are there any known reactions for taking these medications (1 answer)
since taking these 3 drugs,I am getting cramp in my fingers and also my legs, are these all side effects, sometimes I feel a little dizzy
- I am trying to decide cold turkey or what type of medication will help with withdrawal from fioricet
I have insomnia, violent culvusions and vomiting. Insomnia has lasted 3 days. Body jerks, anxiety and more. What can I do at home to relieve some of these
- Have you heard of people taking large amounts of imodium to get "opiod" feeling and death due to amount taken? (3 answers)
My 21 year old son passed away unexpectedly due to large amount of Imodium taken. As I have found out he had been taking this OTC medication to get the same feeling as pain medication(opioids). This medication showed up in his toxicology report. Can anyone help me understand how this could cause death? Should this medication be OTC? Is this something his generation is doing? His death was accidental. Has there been other young adults that have taken this medication to get a buzz? He did have Restoril also in report--which was within normal value. He did not do any other drugs. Please help me understand this dangerous drug that is available OTC for our young children/adults.
- Can being hiv positive and diabetic cause false postive drug screens for amphetamines and thc? (1 answer)
I am constantly throwing positive drug tests for Marijuana and Amphetamines. My pain management doctor is the only one that has told me of this. I am wondering if my medical conditions or medications could cause false positives. I have not done either of those drugs since I was 20 and I will be 50 this September.
- What does a methotrexate rash look like? a cytarabine rash? if either of these chemos is responsible for my rash, what does it indicate about appropriate therapies going forward?
Treated for Stage 1 Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma in 2009 and had only 4 courses of Chemo vs the usual 6 due to a rash that showed up on Day 14 of the 4th cycle. At end of treatment and 1 year following PET scan was negative.
Diagnosed in April 2013 with Burkitt Lymphoma. Negative for HIV-AIDS, Epstein-Barr, liver disease. Active nodes on both sides of diaphragm but brain MRI and bone marrow negative. Have received HYPER-CVAD therapy courses 1A, 1B, 2A, and 2B. On day 4 of 2B course showed a flat rash mostly on forearms & lower abdomen with some involvement of chest, neck, and back. Not really itchy but sensitive if rubbed by clothing. No fever. Diarrhea, but diarrhea has followed every chemo course usually starting Day 5 and continuing for 2 or 3 days. So far, doctor has not commented on whether methotrexate, cytarabine, or something else used to treat side effects might be causing the rash, but does say it looks like a drug rash.
On Day 11 of this chemo course my platelets & hemoglobin were low enough to require transfusions of platelets and 2 units of blood. WBC and ANC profoundly low despite having had a Neulasta shot on Day 4.
More questions for: Imodium, Withdrawal syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lorazepam nearly killed me during cancer treatment
Day 31 of cold turkey and I want to die. It is a roller coaster from body tics and sweats to rage and crying in one day. I felt so good the 4h day of c/t. It was like before my cancer diagnosis. My bowels are better off Lorazepam. I threw up during bowel movements from the pain. Off Lorazepam first normal bowel movement in over 2 years. Stomach so damaged by Lorazepam that I have absolutely no appetite. I force myself to eat. Neuropathy in hands nearly gone. Feet are better but slower. Lymphedema that appeared after one year on Lorazepam is now gone. I have full range of motion.
More reviews for: Imodium, Withdrawal syndrome
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was on sulfasalazine but made me unwell...changed to methotrexate but stopped because of blood results. Have raised blood sugar from steroids.
Frequent urinary tract infections and self catheterisation. Retinal haemorrhage ( blots and dots) just discovered by optician with severe dry eyes
- I have osteoarthritis and am coeliac. I follow a gluten free diet. Recently I have developed severe stomach pain which comes on about 1 - 2 hours after eating. Ant acids and over the counter medicine such as Gaviscon don't seem to help. It goes away gradually on its own but the occasions are get ...
- Alcohol withdrawal was almost complete when the doc decided to order my first Revia pill. The reaction was almost immediately after I swallowed it. What I couldn't find a word for in the adverse outcome drop-down list was a feeling of heat or acid burn starting in my midsection then radiating out ...
- Stopped the use of Axiron approximately 10 days ago. Have had two episodes of dizziness, rapid heat-beat and severe sweating lasting approximately 30 minutes each time. Heart rate returned to normal pattern after each episode. Stopped using Axiron because of the negative publicity by the parasite l ...
- I recovered from hepatitis c some years back, and have loose bowels, and fibromyalgia since. My symptoms wax and wane, but wonder if I could have encephalopathy. I use a fair amount, 7, sometimes more a day.
More related studies for: Imodium, Withdrawal syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.