Review: could Imodium cause Withdrawal syndrome?
Summary: Withdrawal syndrome is found among people who take Imodium, especially for people who are male, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Lorazepam, and have Gastrooesophageal reflux disease.
We study 9,696 people who have side effects while taking Imodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 7 have Withdrawal syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Withdrawal syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Imodium and have Withdrawal syndrome >>>
Imodium has active ingredients of loperamide hydrochloride. It is often used in diarrhea. (latest outcomes from 10,175 Imodium users)
Withdrawal syndrome (a discontinuation syndrome is a set of symptoms occurred due to discontinuation of substance) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, muscle spasticity, back pain. (latest reports from 9,229 Withdrawal syndrome patients)
On Apr, 3, 2015: 9,696 people reported to have side effects when taking Imodium. Among them, 7 people (0.07%) have Withdrawal Syndrome.
Time on Imodium when people have Withdrawal syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Withdrawal syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Withdrawal syndrome when taking Imodium * :
|Withdrawal syndrome||9.09%||90.91% |
Age of people who have Withdrawal syndrome when taking Imodium * :
|Withdrawal syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||63.64%||9.09%||9.09%||18.18% |
Severity of Withdrawal syndrome when taking Imodium ** :
How people recovered from Withdrawal syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (6 people, 85.71%)
- Arrhythmia (6 people, 85.71%)
- Anxiety (6 people, 85.71%)
- Prophylaxis (6 people, 85.71%)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (4 people, 57.14%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lorazepam (7 people, 100.00%)
- Imodium a-d (7 people, 100.00%)
- Toprol-xl (6 people, 85.71%)
- Generic imodium (6 people, 85.71%)
- Prilosec (6 people, 85.71%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of imodium and withdrawal syndrome on
Do you have Withdrawal Syndrome while taking Imodium?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Imodium and have Withdrawal Syndrome
- support group for people who take Imodium
- support group for people who have Withdrawal Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Loperamide Hydrochloride, Warfarin Sodium, Sotalol Hydrochloride for a 72-year old man with Diarrhoea, Atrial Fibrillation. The patient has Diarrhoea
- A study of side effects of Imodium for a 62-year old woman with Bowel Obstruction.
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metoprolol Succinate, Flomax, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Hydrodiuril, Finasteride, Imodium for a 75-year old man with Hypercholesterolaemia, Hypertension - Essential, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Anxiety, Fluid Retention, Diarrhea. The patient has Urinary Retention
- A study of drug interactions between Loperamide Hydrochloride, Ventolin, Co-codamol for a 36-year old woman with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Asthma, Sciatica. The patient has Abdominal Tenderness, Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Clonidine, Lamotrigine, Gabapentin, Suboxone for a 38-year old man with Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Depressed Mood, Withdrawal Syndrome, Mood Stabilizer, Opiate Withdrawal. The patient has Abdominal Pain Aggravated, Anxiety, Depression Suicidal, Lightheadedness - Dizzy, Disturbance In Social Behaviour, Withdrawal Syndrome, Pain In Jaw, Dizziness
Recent Imodium related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Carbidopa And Levodopa, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 82-year old man who has Parkinson's Disease And Diarrhea
- Comparions of Chloroquine Phosphate, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 45-year old woman who has Undefined
- Comparions of Acetazolamide, Dimenhydrinate, Loperamide Hydrochloride for a 27-year old man who has Altitude Sickness
- Comparions of Imodium, Lomotil for a 93-year old woman who has Diarrhea,immediately, After Mostly Dinner,I, ,
- Comparions of Bupropion Hydrochloride, Benzphetamine Hydrochloride, Belviq, Phentermine for a 45-year old woman who has Weight Loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.