Review: could Implanon cause Osteoporosis?
Summary: Osteoporosis is reported only by a few people who take Implanon.
We study 2,956 people who have side effects while taking Implanon from FDA and social media. Among them, 5 have Osteoporosis. Find out below who they are, when they have Osteoporosis and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Implanon and have Osteoporosis >>>
Implanon has active ingredients of etonogestrel. It is often used in birth control. (latest outcomes from Implanon 3,178 users)
Osteoporosis (bones weak and more likely to break) has been reported by people with osteopenia, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Osteoporosis 112,545 patients)
On Dec, 17, 2014: 2,956 people reported to have side effects when taking Implanon. Among them, 5 people (0.17%) have Osteoporosis.
Time on Implanon when people have Osteoporosis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Osteoporosis when taking Implanon * :
Severity of Osteoporosis when taking Implanon ** :
How people recovered from Osteoporosis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (2 people, 40.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Depo-provera (2 people, 40.00%)
- Mirena (1 people, 20.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Osteoporosis while taking Implanon?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Implanon and have Osteoporosis
- support group for people who take Implanon
- support group for people who have Osteoporosis
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Implanon, Osteoporosis
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Transition from mirtazapine to cymbalta (bipolar ii) 6 week duration taken in conjunction with seroquel, propranalol and implanon
In early September I approached my Psychiatrist to report that I was having sleep paralysis episodes as well as insatiable appetite. I had put on about 20lb in the space of 6 months since the sleep paralysis started.
My Psychiatrist opted to wean me off the Mirtazapine and onto Cymbalta. I have now been on 60mg of Cymbalta for about 4 weeks and completely titrated off the Mirtazapine.
I have noted that since switching to Cymbalta that I no longer have the insatiable appetite, nor have I had any further sleep paralysis episodes (though I have had a brain MRI to rule out any physiological issues - yet to receive results).
I have noticed that I have had mild to moderate rolling nausea with the Cymbalta and that I now have food aversions. Food does not interest me as much anymore and I find that certain foods (mostly processed snacks) are no longer palatable. I also find that I become full after much smaller meal portions.
I have found that I can no longer drink wine or spirits because they now taste awful however I can still tolerate certain brands of beer. I also no longer enjoy drinking cola.
I am also on the Implanon Implant. I have had this implant inserted for about 12 months and my cycles have been rather regular. Since starting the Cymbalta I have had some breakthrough bleeding yet my periods have not been as painful, though they have been heavier and longer.
My Psychiatrist will commence titrating me off the Seroquel in about two weeks and onto Topamax as it is his belief it will be less sedating than the Seroquel and that it will hopefully help as a mood stabiliser, treat my migraines and allow me to come off the Propranolol. he also hopes that I am able to loose some of the weight gained since the sleep paralysis episodes started.
As a side note regarding the Propranolol, I have naturally low blood pressure and I find while Propranalol is generally an effective migraine prophylactic, (I do get some breakthrough migraines) it does make my blood pressure even lower which leads to dizziness and faintness when I stand up too quickly from a recumbent position.
- Fosamax causes numerous problems (1 response)
I took Fosamax for 7 years. In the last two years my bone decreased, where as it had been 28% loss in the spine it went to 31% loss. For the first 5 years it did stop any bone loss but later seemed to stop working. I was very lucky with this drug as others have numerous problems. one lady I know was developing sclerosis of the liver with this drug. There are numerous problems people can have.
- Paxil cause osteoporosis?
I had OCD since age 8. At 42 I was finally diagnosed and put on Paxil. When I reached 40 mgs and after 2 months on 40 mgs i was completely cured of OCD. I stayed on Paxil for the next 15 years. I no longer take any SSRI as they were causing severe lethargy that last few years of use. When I was around 47 I broke my wrist and then learned I was close to full blown osteoporosis. Five years ago I broke my humerus and then found that not only did I have osteoporosis but to a degree of a woman of 80. I had Prolia infusion 2 years ago and it reversed my bone loss. Last year my density test showed I was losing bone again and I had a Reclast infusion. I will not know if this has helped until next year. I am fairly sure that the Paxil had some fault in my osteoporosis although I know that my vitamin D levels are very low even after 50,000 units a week. I am not sure if is a combination effect of Paxil and low vitamin D that caused premature osteoporosis. No one in my family has had osteoporosis and no one that I am aware of has taken a SSRI.
- Implanon removal and the side effects of it
After removing implanon I had no menstrual cycle and a lot of pain. Found out I have cyst on my ovaries.
- Pain in the neck and arthritis after taking generic fosamax
I started taking Generic Fosamax about six months ago and last week i had a terrible neck pain and spasm. I went to my accupunturist and he did accupunture and massage, but the pain did not go away. Later that week, I noticed that I had a lot of pain every time I flexed my left knee, and later that same day it started to sweell, like in people who have rheumatoid arthritis. I took my last dose of Generic Fosamax last Fryday, and I am wondering if it is the cause of my ailments. I am a healthy person, I exercise regularly and always eat healthy. I wwent again to my accupunturist yesterday and he ordered an Xray of my knee. I would like to know if somebody has had my problems while taking Fosamax and how they got cured. Excuse my English, it is not my main language. Thank you.
More reviews for: Implanon, Osteoporosis
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have had the Nexplanon implant for 6 weeks; prior to the implant i had been taking oral birth control pills for 7 years with perfectly clear skin. I had a mild reaction on my face within the first 4 days of having the implant but it went away after 7 days. For the next 2 1/2 weeks my skin was be ...
- My celiac panel was very abnormal except for IGA which was normal. However I do not have GI symptoms. I have dizziness and light- headed ness. When I eliminated topamax the symptoms resolved. I wonder if topamax caused the blood work abnormality? I have taken it for 10 years?
- Been on period almost 2 weeks. Bleeding been normal. However yesterday cramps were intolerable. Had baby 5 months ago. Got implanon implanted at 6 weeks ck up. First time ive had problems. Started yesterday. Hurting, cant get enough water to drink. Headache will not go away. Feel hot then cold. ...
- I am epileptic or was as a child. I have not had a seizure in about 3 - 4 years now. I recently went to have my implant changed. This is my third one. All of a suddeni am experiencing frequent déjà vus, headaches and my anxiety is growing.
I eat incredibly healthily and exercise most days. No dr ...
- Eyes would begin watering within ten minutes of standing after waking up. They would water to the point where tears would stream down my face for 10-20 minutes; once this stopped, the symptom wouldn't return again until the next morning. Eyes would rarely begin watering before standing or sitting. S ...
More related studies for: Implanon, Osteoporosis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.