Review: could Iron dextran cause Anaphylactic shock (Anaphylaxis)?
Summary: Anaphylactic shock is found among people who take Iron dextran, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Azathioprine, and have Anaemia.
We study 614 people who have side effects while taking Iron dextran from FDA and social media. Among them, 33 have Anaphylactic shock. Find out below who they are, when they have Anaphylactic shock and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Iron dextran and have Anaphylactic shock >>>
Iron dextran has active ingredients of iron dextran. It is often used in anemia. (latest outcomes from Iron dextran 700 users)
Anaphylactic shock (severe and rapid and sometimes fatal hypersensitivity reaction to a substance) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, asthma, high blood pressure, premedication, pain.(latest reports from Anaphylactic shock 28,821 patients)
On Dec, 5, 2014: 614 people reported to have side effects when taking Iron dextran. Among them, 33 people (5.37%) have Anaphylactic Shock.
Time on Iron dextran when people have Anaphylactic shock * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Anaphylactic shock||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Anaphylactic shock when taking Iron dextran * :
|Anaphylactic shock||37.50%||62.50% |
Age of people who have Anaphylactic shock when taking Iron dextran * :
|Anaphylactic shock||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||10.34%||3.45%||17.24%||68.97% |
Severity of Anaphylactic shock when taking Iron dextran ** :
How people recovered from Anaphylactic shock ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Anaemia (11 people, 33.33%)
- Iron deficiency anaemia (4 people, 12.12%)
- Sinusitis (2 people, 6.06%)
- Crohn's disease (2 people, 6.06%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Azathioprine (2 people, 6.06%)
- Temazepam (2 people, 6.06%)
- Ranitidine (2 people, 6.06%)
- Paracetamol (2 people, 6.06%)
- Ergocalciferol (2 people, 6.06%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Anaphylactic Shock while taking Iron Dextran?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Iron dextran and have Anaphylactic Shock
- support group for people who take Iron dextran
- support group for people who have Anaphylactic Shock
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Seizure after an epipen injection (1 answer)
(Asked by a 35 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Reaction, and takes Epipen)
I am allergic to EVERYTHING, so I usually pre-game with benadryl and wait out the uncomfortable side effects, but this time my tongue started swelling up and I was having trouble breathing so I went to an ER. About 5-7 minutes after they injected me in the thigh with an epipen, I was in mid sentence ...
- Does bcaa cause migraines?
(Asked by a 40 year old woman who has CFS, Migraines , and takes Cod Liver Oil, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin C (ascorbic Acid), Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin B3, Selenium, Coenzyme Q10, Iron Dextran, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride)
I took 3 capsules of BCAA and within the next hour I developed a very aggressive migraine. Believing the migraine may have been separate to the tablets, I took another 3 capsules the next day and again within 1 hour I developed a very aggressive migraines. Has anyone had a similar adverse reactio ...
- Can thyroid problems bring on anaphylaxis often?
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Anaphylaxis)
70 yr old previously stong female: Suspicious of thyroid problems...family history. Fatigue, skin, hair changes, slightly swollen, tender tongue at all times. In the last 6 months I've developed food related anaphalaxis. Getting serious, 3 E.R. runs in last 3 months....packing 2 epipens at all tim ...
- Extremely swollen, red kidneys barely working, liver damage and heart damage she is taking oxgen to keep level at 98, otherwise it goes down to 89. we have been in hospital for 27 hours,
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Shock, and takes Cipro)
What are her chances of pulling out of this condition?
- After anaphylaxis from naglazyme ,how should we proceed ert?
(Asked by a 17 year old girl who has Anaphylaxis, and takes Naglazyme)
More questions for: Iron dextran, Anaphylactic shock
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Happened to me- allergic reaction to rogaine
(Posted by a 40 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Reaction, and takes Rogaine)
Within the first week of usage, I began to have leg cramps, facial swelling, tightness of breath, chest pain, anxiety, and chronic headaches. Even with allergy medicines and aspirin, nothing seemed to help. At first, I felt it was though it was just simple allergies until I woke up one morning with ...
- Cephalexin 500 mg caused allergic reaction (1 response)
(Posted by a 66 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Reaction, and takes Cephalexin)
I developed a rash that quickly turned to painful, itchy blistering after taking cephalexin 500mg capsules for only 2 days (the prescription was for 10 days). The rash was on my hands, legs, back, & arms. I was sent by my doctor to the hospital emergency room. diagnosed as an allergic reaction to c ...
- Anaphylactic shock from fish oil
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Shock, and takes Fish Oil)
Yes I went into Anaphylactic shock after taking fish oil. It was just a matter of a few minutes when my hands and feet started itching and then my throat closed up. I could not breathe and 911 was called. I spent 4 nights in the hospital, the first 24 hours vomiting and loose bowels. It was the ...
More reviews for: Iron dextran, Anaphylactic shock
- A study of side effects of Cymbalta for a patient with Depression. The patient has Anaphylactic Shock (severe and rapid and sometimes fatal hypersensitivity reaction to a substance)
Comments: Was on Cymbalta 30mg for around 3 weeks and was increased to 60mg. Three days after beginning 60mg dosage, I went into Anaphylactic Shock. First my eyes were sensitive to light and I had brain fog. The following day, I thought I was beginning to feel better and in the middle of a store, the right si ...
- A study of drug interactions between Fish Liver Oil, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin B3, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Riboflavin, Selenium, Coenzyme Q10, Iron Dextran, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, BCAA for a patient with Migraines And Chronicc Fatigue Syndrome, Cfs, Low Iron Level, Migraine.
Comments: I took 3 capsules of BCAA (EQUIVALENT TO 750 L-LEUCINE, 375 L-ISOLEUCINE AND 375 L-VALINE)and developed a very aggressive migraine in the hour after I took them. Believing it may have been irrelevant, I took again 3 capsules the next day and again about 1 hour later I developed a very aggressive m ...
- A study of drug interactions between Clindamycin Hydrochloride, Cipro for a patient with Facial Swelling (lower Right Side, Next To Chin For An Unknown Reason Thought To Be A Blocked Salivary Gland). The patient has Itching, Itching, Abdominal Pain, Abdominal Cramps, Swollen Face, Swollen Lips, Swollen Tongue, Swollen Eyelid, Hives, Anaphylactic Shock
Comments: I went to the emergency room because I noticed that the bottom of my face was swollen on the right side next to my chin. I was not in any pain, but thought it was strange and because I had never noticed anything like that before. The doctor was not sure what was wrong with me, said he thought it was ...
- A study of side effects of Rituxan for a patient with Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinaemia. The patient has Hypotension (abnormally low blood pressure), Embolism (obstruction of an artery, typically by a clot of blood or an air bubble), Anaphylactic Shock (severe and rapid and sometimes fatal hypersensitivity reaction to a substance)
Comments: Anaphylactic shock upon first and second infusions. Crash team intervention required
Bilateral Pulmonary embolisms at 4th week of treatment
Chronic and multiple episodes of accute Hypotension started during Rituximab treatments. No hypoentention problems prior to Rituximab treatments.
- A study of drug interactions between Iron Dextran, Symbicort, Calcium, Multivitamin, Magnesium Sulfate In Plastic Container, Bactrim, Levothyroxine Thyroid for a patient with Iron Metabolism Disorder, Asthma, General Well Being, Cramps - Leg, Sinus Infection, Low Thyroid. The patient has Rls And Night Time Foot And Leg Cramps
Comments: Prior to taking Symbicort for asthma, I was on Advair and have been for as long as its been around. 10+years? Is Symbicort attributable to RLS? I am currently doing iron infusions x 5 over a 2 week period for low level iron @40. I was down to low level 5 in Oct, hospitalized with iron infusions. ...
More related studies for: Iron dextran, Anaphylactic shock
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.