Review: could Keppra cause Depression?
Summary: Depression is found among people who take Keppra, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lamictal, and have Convulsion.
We study 19,920 people who have side effects while taking Keppra from FDA and social media. Among them, 613 have Depression. Find out below who they are, when they have Depression and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Keppra and have Depression >>>
Keppra has active ingredients of levetiracetam. It is often used in epilepsy. (latest outcomes from 21,256 Keppra users)
Depression has been reported by people with quit smoking, multiple sclerosis, pain, osteoporosis, acne. (latest reports from 277,750 Depression patients)
On Apr, 8, 2015: 19,913 people reported to have side effects when taking Keppra. Among them, 665 people (3.34%) have Depression.
Time on Keppra when people have Depression * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Depression when taking Keppra * :
Age of people who have Depression when taking Keppra * :
Severity of Depression when taking Keppra ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Depression ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Convulsion (218 people, 32.78%)
- Epilepsy (214 people, 32.18%)
- Pain (52 people, 7.82%)
- Multiple sclerosis (49 people, 7.37%)
- Depression (43 people, 6.47%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lamictal (143 people, 21.50%)
- Neurontin (108 people, 16.24%)
- Tegretol (94 people, 14.14%)
- Dilantin (81 people, 12.18%)
- Topamax (81 people, 12.18%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of keppra and depression on
Do you have Depression while taking Keppra?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Keppra and have Depression
- support group for people who take Keppra
- support group for people who have Depression
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Zyrtec Allergy, Levetiracetam for a 54-year old man with Aneurysm - Aortic, Allergy, Post Procedural Haemorrhage.
- A study of side effects of Arixtra for a 69-year old man with DVT. The patient has Depression
- A study of drug interactions between Trazodone Hydrochloride, Valium, Cymbalta, Prozac for a 42-year old woman with Sleepy, Anxiety, Depression, Panic Disorder. The patient has Anhedonia, Depression
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Keppra for a 19-year old boy with Sleep Disorder, Hyperactivity, Seizure - Grand Mal. The patient has Insomnia, Hyperactivity, Erythromelalgia
- A study of side effects of Keppra for a 40-year old woman with Epilepsy. The patient has Vasculitis
Recent Keppra related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.