Review: could Keppra cause Mood swings?
Summary: Mood swings is found among people who take Keppra, especially for people who are female, 20-29 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lamictal, and have Epilepsy.
We study 19,909 people who have side effects while taking Keppra from FDA and social media. Among them, 197 have Mood swings. Find out below who they are, when they have Mood swings and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Keppra and have Mood swings >>>
Keppra has active ingredients of levetiracetam. It is often used in epilepsy. (latest outcomes from 21,243 Keppra users)
Mood swings (an extreme or rapid change in mood) has been reported by people with quit smoking, depression, birth control, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 24,771 Mood swings patients)
On Feb, 27, 2015: 19,909 people reported to have side effects when taking Keppra. Among them, 197 people (0.99%) have Mood Swings.
Time on Keppra when people have Mood swings * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Mood swings||46.15%||23.08%||6.15%||12.31%||0.00%||10.77%||1.54% |
Gender of people who have Mood swings when taking Keppra * :
|Mood swings||77.30%||22.70% |
Age of people who have Mood swings when taking Keppra * :
|Mood swings||0.00%||2.64%||14.85%||22.77%||19.80%||20.13%||7.92%||11.88% |
Severity of Mood swings when taking Keppra ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Mood swings||11.11%||22.22%||33.33%||33.33% |
How people recovered from Mood swings ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Mood swings||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Epilepsy (124 people, 62.94%)
- Convulsion (56 people, 28.43%)
- Petit mal epilepsy (34 people, 17.26%)
- Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (23 people, 11.68%)
- Idiopathic generalised epilepsy (19 people, 9.64%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lamictal (65 people, 32.99%)
- Lamotrigine (50 people, 25.38%)
- Klonopin (47 people, 23.86%)
- Topamax (46 people, 23.35%)
- Lexapro (35 people, 17.77%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of keppra and mood swings on
Do you have Mood Swings while taking Keppra?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Keppra and have Mood Swings
- support group for people who take Keppra
- support group for people who have Mood swings
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Vyvanse for a 47-year old woman with ADD. The patient has Mood Swings (an extreme or rapid change in mood)
- A study of side effects of Levothyroxine Sodium for a 28-year old woman with Hypothyroidism. The patient has Change In Appetite, Mood Swings (an extreme or rapid change in mood), Change In Mentrual Cycle, Headache (pain in head), Fatigue (feeling of tiredness), Anxiety
- A study of drug interactions between Trazodone Hydrochloride, Clonazepam, Gabapentin for a 26-year old man with Initial Insomnia, Anxiety And Stress, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Heart Palpitations, Chest Pain, Confusion, Fear, Irritability, Mood Swings, Paranoia, Electric Shock
- A study of side effects of Keppra for a 21-year old man with Epilepsy. The patient has Abdominal Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Vimpat, Keppra for a 19-year old girl with Temporal Lobe Seizure. The patient has Tiredness
Recent Keppra related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Levothyroxine Sodium, Omeprazole, Keppra for a 68-year old woman who has Confusion, Barrett's Esophagus
- Comparions of Keppra, Depakote, Mysoline for a 56-year old man who has Focal Epilepsy
- Comparions of Lamictal, Keppra for a 57-year old woman who has Epilepsy
- Comparions of Depakote Er, Keppra, Lamictal for a 50-year old woman who has Epilepsy
- Comparions of Keppra, Ritalin, Lyrica for a 35-year old woman who has Cavernous Hemangioma
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.