Review: could Lamictal cause High blood sugar?
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 23, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.2/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 37,132 people who take Lamictal. Among them, 117 have High blood sugar. See who they are, when they have High blood sugar and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Lamictal (latest outcomes from 40,293 users) has active ingredients of lamotrigine. It is often used in bipolar disorder, epilepsy. Commonly reported side effects of Lamictal include rashes, convulsion prophylaxis, convulsion, fever, lyell's syndrome.
High blood sugar
High blood sugar (high blood sugar) (latest reports from 138,814 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, depression, bipolar disorder.
On Feb, 18, 2014: 35,946 people reported to have side effects when taking Lamictal. Among them, 110 people (0.31%) have High Blood Sugar.
Time on Lamictal when people have High blood sugar * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High blood sugar||15.00%||30.00%||10.00%||15.00%||10.00%||20.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have High blood sugar when taking Lamictal * :
|High blood sugar||0.00%||0.00%||6.60%||11.32%||15.09%||37.74%||23.58%||5.66% |
Severity of High blood sugar when taking Lamictal ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High blood sugar||0.00%||80.00%||20.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from High blood sugar ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High blood sugar||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Bipolar disorder (65 people, 59.09%)
- Depression (40 people, 36.36%)
- Anxiety (22 people, 20.00%)
- Insomnia (20 people, 18.18%)
- Sleep disorder (14 people, 12.73%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (76 people, 69.09%)
- Zyprexa (35 people, 31.82%)
- Lexapro (31 people, 28.18%)
- Risperdal (28 people, 25.45%)
- Abilify (28 people, 25.45%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Lamictal, High blood sugar
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Lamictal (lamotrigine) is often used for bipolar disorder. Find out below the conditions Lamictal is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Lamictal used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Lamictal side effects from A to Z:
Browse Lamictal drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (4 months ago):
I am experiencing intentional movements when going to sleep. The movements follow what I am dreaming about.
From this study (9 months ago):
Hoorppat on Jun, 21, 2013:
Profound Gloomy could be enduring objective been a bunch of chipboards and wires but they made it look fantastic.
It looked blood-curdling and electrifying - like something out of 2001, a humongous, raven, supercool hard compel
Abstruse Dismal could have well-grounded been a group of chipboards and wires but they made it look fantastic.
It looked spine-chilling and exciting - like something missing of 2001, a monstrous, negro, supercool severe pilot
From this study (2 years ago):
higher does of lamictal causes weight gain and increases my blood sugar levels
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Lamictal, High blood sugar
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Health issues and struggles
I have numerous health issues. Some I've lived with not realizing they were there. Others are caused by meds I've taken in the past or am still using now.
Lupus is the most recent and biggest trouble I have right now. It is caused by the one drug that finally gave me control of my seizures
Some o ...
- Fibromyalgia & related health issues
Fibromyalgia dx after pregnancy of only child at 42/other dx followed and seem to be in conjunction. heart issues did not appear until after the use of fibro meds- cymbalta, lyrica, neurontin, and more. had 1 seizure believed to be related to seretonin syndrome/years and years of mistreatment by doc ...
- Understanding and living with cancer
After having one treatment of Gemzar, I had a sever reaction, which caused me to have many seizures. This caused me to developed PRES, which in turn has caused me to have brain damage.When I came out of my induced coma I did not know where I was, nor did I know who my family members were. I could no ...
More reviews for: Lamictal, High blood sugar
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Zinc Sulfate, Selenium, Vitamin C, B Complex Vitamin, Omega-9 Fatty Acids, Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, Omega-3, Calcium-D-Glucarate, Vitamin D, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Glipizide, Lamotrigine, Novolog, Levemir, Ondansetron, Simvastatin, Lisinopril, Aggrenox, Synthroid, Januvia, Cymbalta, Lansoprazole, Ropinirole Hydrochloride for a patient with Hair Loss In Women, Heel Pain, Fatigue, Wine And Heart Health, Bone Density Increased, Vitamin D Deficiency, Rhabdomyolysis, Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Analgesic Supportive Therapy, Depression, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent, Bipolar 1, Nausea, Relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis, High Blood Pressure, Blood Thinner, Thyroid Disorder, Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy, Gerd, Restless Leg Syndrome. The patient has Nausea And Vomiting, Bipolar I Disorder, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides (High Blood Cholesterol), Depression, Reflux (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), Hypothyroidism, Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia), Myoclonic Jerks
- A study of drug interactions between Lamictal, Klonopin, Abilify, Aciphex, Topamax, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, B Complex Vitamin for a patient with Bipolar 2, Barrett's Esophagus, Complicated Migraine, Ibs, Stress. The patient has High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia)
- A study of drug interactions between Lithium Carbonate, Seroquel, Lamictal, Inderal, Cozaar, Hydrochlorothiazide, Pravastatin Sodium for a patient with Depression, Bipolar Affective Disorder Aggravated, Seizure Disorder, Tremor, Blood Pressure Decreased, Water Retention, Cholesterol. The patient has Bone Pain, Tongue Problems, Impaired Memory (Memory loss), High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia)
More related studies for: Lamictal, High blood sugar
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.