From FDA reports: Lamictal and Osteoporosis
This is a study of Osteoporosis among people who take Lamictal. The study analyzes: the time on Lamictal when people have Osteoporosis, age of these people, the severity of Osteoporosis, how they recovered, and common conditions and drugs used besides Lamictal. In total 33,726 Lamictal users are studied. The study is created by eHealthMe based on reports from FDA and is updated regularly.
Do you have a question? Healthcare is personal: one drug can work differently between women and men, or for people of different ages. How do you find patients like you to answer your question, and ensure only patients like you can answer it? Our Personalized Q&A can help. Start now
Lamictal has active ingredients of lamotrigine. It is used in bipolar disorder, epilepsy, bipolar i disorder, bipolar ii disorder, depression. Commonly reported side effects of Lamictal include rashes, convulsion, fever, lyell's syndrome, erythema multiforme.
Osteoporosis has been reported by people with osteopenia, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, multiple sclerosis.
On May, 26, 2013: 33,726 people reported to have side effects when taking Lamictal. Among them, 60 people (0.18%) have Osteoporosis.
Time on Lamictal when people have Osteoporosis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Osteoporosis when taking Lamictal * :
Severity of Osteoporosis when taking Lamictal ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Osteoporosis ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (15 people, 25.00%)
- Bipolar disorder (13 people, 21.67%)
- Convulsion (13 people, 21.67%)
- Partial seizures (9 people, 15.00%)
- Restless legs syndrome (8 people, 13.33%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prevacid (26 people, 43.33%)
- Aspirin (21 people, 35.00%)
- Flexeril (17 people, 28.33%)
- Xanax (15 people, 25.00%)
- Keppra (14 people, 23.33%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
(If the study does not answer your question, use Personalized Q&A)
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Next: check whether osteoporosis is from a drug or a condition
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Lamictal (lamotrigine) is often used for bipolar disorder. Find out below the conditions Lamictal is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Lamictal used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Lamictal side effects from A to Z:
Browse Lamictal drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Related personalized Q&As (what is this?):
- How did this effect me if it did at all?
(for a 37 year old woman who has Bipolar Disorder, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Hypothyroidism, and takes Lamictal Xr, Gemfibrozil, Levothyroxine Sodium, Phenytoin Sodium)
I have been taking the Lamictal for almost a year and the other meds I have been taking since January of 2006. At the end of April of 2013 had a disagreement with my boyfriend and left in the middle of the night. I came home early morning the following day with no sleep and could not remember if I ...
- Why does bipolar patient like me get more disturbed with drugs and are eager to discontinue when having side effects problem
(for a 49 year old man who has Bipolar Ii Disorder, Recurunt Depression, and takes Lamictal Odt)
i am taking lomotrigne 100 for bipolar 2 and i feel depressed always fearful of side effects and are experiencing some of those in only in three months. shifting to other drugs induce suicidal thoughts in first months. how can i cope my depression. please help me with some drug having least side ef ...
- Venlafaxine and lamictal - abnormal reaction
(for a 40 year old man who has Depression, and takes Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Lamotrigine)
Over the past month or more, I have been having episodes of severe tiredness and weakness. I notice it a lot a day or two after I have spent a period of time outside in the sun. I know both of the medications are photosensitive and reactions have occurred due to long periods of exposure to sun light ...
Recent related drug checks on eHealthMe:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent drug studies on eHealthMe:
- Gabapentin for a 67-year old man who has Lumbar Radiculopathy (5 minutes ago)
- Prednisone for a 40-year old woman who has Fertility Treatment (13 minutes ago)
- Ambien Cr, Lortab for a 70-year old woman who has Chronic Insomnia, Foot Pain (28 minutes ago)
- Levitra, Uroxatral, Androgel for a 58-year old man who has Erectile Dysfunction, BPH, Hypogonadism Male (34 minutes ago)
- Cymbalta for a 45-year old woman who has Small Fiber Neuropathy (37 minutes ago)
- Azathioprine for a 52-year old woman who has Ulcerative Colitis (55 minutes ago)
- Soma, Vyvanse for a 22-year old woman who has Chronic Pain, ADD (1 hour ago)
- Trileptal for a 33-year old woman who has Epilepsy (2 hours ago)
- Lantus for a 74-year old man who has Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control (2 hours ago)
- Chondroitin Sulphate A Sodium, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Meloxicam for a 59-year old man who has Cartilage Repair, Joint Pain (2 hours ago)