Review: could Lamotrigine cause Heart palpitations?
Summary: Heart palpitations is found among people who take Lamotrigine, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Flupentixol, and have Depression.
We study 14,751 people who have side effects while taking Lamotrigine from FDA and social media. Among them, 46 have Heart palpitations. Find out below who they are, when they have Heart palpitations and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Heart palpitations >>>
Lamotrigine has active ingredients of lamotrigine. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (view latest outcomes from 15,797 users)
Heart palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, pain.(latest reports from Heart palpitations 50,967 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 14,735 people reported to have side effects when taking Lamotrigine. Among them, 46 people (0.31%) have Heart Palpitations.
Time on Lamotrigine when people have Heart palpitations * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Heart palpitations||35.71%||21.43%||7.14%||7.14%||21.43%||7.14%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Heart palpitations when taking Lamotrigine * :
|Heart palpitations||80.77%||19.23% |
Age of people who have Heart palpitations when taking Lamotrigine * :
|Heart palpitations||0.00%||0.00%||4.44%||11.11%||35.56%||22.22%||6.67%||20.00% |
Severity of Heart palpitations when taking Lamotrigine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Heart palpitations||11.11%||77.78%||11.11%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Heart palpitations ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Heart palpitations||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (8 people, 17.39%)
- Affective disorder (7 people, 15.22%)
- Bipolar disorder (6 people, 13.04%)
- Schizophrenia (5 people, 10.87%)
- Anxiety (4 people, 8.70%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Flupentixol (4 people, 8.70%)
- Olanzapine (4 people, 8.70%)
- Cymbalta (4 people, 8.70%)
- Lithium (4 people, 8.70%)
- Topamax (4 people, 8.70%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Heart Palpitations while taking Lamotrigine?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Heart Palpitations
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine
- support group for people who have Heart Palpitations
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can my wife who is on seizure medication lamictal take moringa oleifera?
(Asked by a 34 year old woman who has Seizures, and takes Lamictal)
I also take methadone was wondering if a I could use morning a oleifera
- Biotin and heart races? connection?
(Asked by a 66 year old man who has Heart Pounding Or Racing, and takes Biotin)
About 2 weeks ago I started on 3mg of Biotin a day. After about 4 days my heart started racing for period. It was uncomfortable and distracting. It's been nearly 2 weeks now and it's settled some but in the evening it comes back. Occassionaly during the day. Maybe at night I just notice it more but I don't think I notice it during the day, possible a little but at night it escalates. Is it possible that Biotin can cause damage. Why hasn't it gone away after near 2 weeks? I had no racing before starting Biotin. I've had a regularly scheduled checked about 4 days after stopping taking the Biotin. I didn't mention anything to the doc but he noticed nothing about my heartbeat or deep breathing. It's distracts and I wish it would subside! Any clues here? Thanks, jack
- Can biotin cause prolonged heart racing?
(Asked by a 66 year old man who has Heart Pounding Or Racing, and takes Biotin)
I started taking 3mg of biotin a day for about 3 or 4 days. I noticed my heart racing which was unusual for me. None before starting biotin. I've stopped over a week ago, going on 2 weeks and my heart still races. More at night or maybe I notice it more at night. No, I would notice it during the day. But when I sit down to relax at night it begins to flip and flop. Why is this persisting after near 2 weeks of stopping. By the way, I had a regular checkup about 4 or 5 days after stopping and the physician didn't say anything about what he heard in my heart and deep breathing. I have no pain but the palpitations are distracting and somewhat worrisome. Is there any cases of biotin doing damage to the heart?
- Can lamictal cause false positive pcp drug screen (1 answer)
(Asked by a 42 year old woman who has Epilepsy, and takes Lamictal Xr)
I had a rapid urine drug screen for new employment and it shows positive for PCP. I have never taken or even seen PCP. I am so embarrassed and mortified. Needless to say my urine has been sent to a lab to see if it can rule out false positive results. I called my neurologist and my Pharmacist and both say Lamictal cannot cause false positive. So I searched internet and have found it can cause false positive PCP results? I know I have never taken PCP.
- Does it produce vitamin k
(Asked by a 70 year old man who has Sintrom, Irregular Heartbeat)
he had stroke 5 years ago, he is taking sintrom, irregular heart beat
More questions for: Lamotrigine, Heart palpitations
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Irregular heatbeat and prilosec
(Posted by a 65 year old man who has Irritablilty, Irregular Heartbeat, and takes Prilosec)
I am 65 M and a long history of Moderate hypertension. I am overweight, out of shape. 15-20 years ago when I didn't take BP medicine I had occasional PVCs, heart skips a beat.
Since I have been on Metoprolol (beta blocker) and Cozaar my BP is normal and heartbeat normal.
I have been on that regimen 15-20 years.
Now or in the last weeks or 2 I notice skipped beats and irregular, fast to slow and back on occasion
Recently It was suggested I may have sleep apnea and was definitely diagnosed with bad acid reflux by an Ear nose and throat specialist.
I was told to go on 2 OTC Prevacid/day for 3 months. I instead, since I had them, went on Prilosec-- slightly different.
I have been on Prilosec 2 or so weeks maybe 3.
It clicked in my mind today that maybe there is a connection.
I have a pretty expensive pulse oximeter (electronic finger thingy) and I can actually see flat lines and skipped beats and strength of pulse. Oxygen is 90 to 94. Also I started taking aspirin out of fear
- A life of depression and fatigue
(Posted by a 70 year old man who has COPD, PTSD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Dysthymia, and takes Simvastatin, Daytrana, Klonopin, Concerta, Lamictal Xr, Prozac)
1) Family history of depression, 2) Diagnosed depression 1964-not treated until 1973, 3) Worked in medical field 35 years, 4) Emergency on-call 24/7, 5) Hospital 15 times major depression, 6) Tried nearly all MAOI, TCA, SSRI, SNRI, and ECT. 7) 100% Disability in 1998 for depression. Now at age 70 I have dysthymia, chronic fatigue, COPD, and PTSD. My recommendation to younger people - do not over stress,
do not smoke, avoid horrific or traumatic situations and try to find some enjoyment in life. If you have symptoms like mine seek early treatment put balance in your life. The often heard recommendations - get plenty of sleep, eat properly, learn to relax and avoid bad habits should not be ignored, they are critical to good physical and mental health.
- Lamictal and eyes being gooey.
(Posted by a 39 year old woman who has Eye Discharge, and takes Lamictal)
While taking this medication, I experienced eye goo, sometimes stringing across my eye. Occasionally it would dry overnight and becoming crusty. I took this medication for over a year and the doctor kept prescribing me medication for conjunctivitis.
When I finally stopped taking this medication, the eye irritation went away.
- Lamotrigine and indigestion
(Posted by a 54 year old woman who has Indigestion,constipation, and takes Lamotrigine)
I started taking Lamotrigine about a month or two ago. I think it has alleviated my depression somewhat but it has also been causing me pretty severe gastric and intestinal problems. I wake up every morning with indigestion/ and pressure in my stomach, I also have constipation I have gone several days with very little to no movement, before I started taking Lamorigine I did not have either of these issues.
- Palpitations when eating raw garlic
(Posted by a 35 year old woman who has Heartburn, Nausea, Heart Palpitations)
After symptoms of a cold, I've been drinking the famous "garlic honey lemon" mixture to try to get rid of the cold and it actually worked pretty well.
The first morning it didn't feel very nice to drink but I was ok.
From day 2, I started to feel heartburn and heart palpitations, with a sort of headache as soon as I drank the mixture. Symptoms then disappear within a couple of minutes and I was fine for the rest of the day.
This has been getting worse every morning, until this morning (day 5) where I had to kneel down and focus on breathing.
I can't drink it anymore, my chest hurts and it gets quite scary.
I usually don't eat a lot of garlic anyway, I don't really like it. I'm assuming it's the garlic creating the reaction, as lemon and honey are part of my daily diet.
More reviews for: Lamotrigine, Heart palpitations
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I take it with celexa to even out my highs and lows. Unfortunately, I have memory problems,(200 mg daily), mostly short term. I didn't have this problem before I started taking the medications. My wife is on it also, (100 mg daily). She experiences the same. She is taking effexor.
- I am a 48 yr old female diagnosed with PTSD, bipolar 2, BPD, histrionic suicidal idealation and a mess!!!
Things were going well in therapy and with my Dr. over the past 2 years on the above "cocktail" MINUS the Latuda and Lexapro.
I have had 3 very serious suicide attempts, all prior to the T ...
- I have been having these palpitations for this phase since August 2014 although I have had them before, whilst on Ramipril. Had an ECG and other than I have been diagnosed with ectopic heartbeats the heart looks healthy enough, yet I am getting severe palpitations daily, to the point they do put me ...
- I have been experiencing symptoms of dry eye, stinging and burning and dryness in my eyes for 10 years shortly after being put on lamictal. I'm trying to see if there is anyone else who has experienced this.
- Only happens occasionally. More when I am active. But sometimes just sitting. All the time when using computer or watching television. There are just days where I cannot even look at a computer screen for even 1 minute. Very frustrating. Palpitations are annoying and inconvenient.
More related studies for: Lamotrigine, Heart palpitations
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.