Review: could Lamotrigine cause Heart palpitations?
Summary: Heart palpitations is found among people who take Lamotrigine, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Flupentixol, and have Depression.
We study 14,787 people who have side effects while taking Lamotrigine from FDA and social media. Among them, 46 have Heart palpitations. Find out below who they are, when they have Heart palpitations and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Heart palpitations >>>
Lamotrigine has active ingredients of lamotrigine. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from 15,829 Lamotrigine users)
Heart palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, pain. (latest reports from 52,154 Heart palpitations patients)
On Feb, 28, 2015: 14,787 people reported to have side effects when taking Lamotrigine. Among them, 46 people (0.31%) have Heart Palpitations.
Time on Lamotrigine when people have Heart palpitations * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Heart palpitations||35.71%||21.43%||7.14%||7.14%||21.43%||7.14%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Heart palpitations when taking Lamotrigine * :
|Heart palpitations||80.77%||19.23% |
Age of people who have Heart palpitations when taking Lamotrigine * :
|Heart palpitations||0.00%||0.00%||4.44%||11.11%||35.56%||22.22%||6.67%||20.00% |
Severity of Heart palpitations when taking Lamotrigine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Heart palpitations||11.11%||77.78%||11.11%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Heart palpitations ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Heart palpitations||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (8 people, 17.39%)
- Affective disorder (7 people, 15.22%)
- Bipolar disorder (6 people, 13.04%)
- Schizophrenia (5 people, 10.87%)
- Anxiety (4 people, 8.70%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Flupentixol (4 people, 8.70%)
- Olanzapine (4 people, 8.70%)
- Cymbalta (4 people, 8.70%)
- Lithium (4 people, 8.70%)
- Topamax (4 people, 8.70%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of lamotrigine and heart palpitations on
Do you have Heart Palpitations while taking Lamotrigine?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Heart Palpitations
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine
- support group for people who have Heart Palpitations
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Unisom for a 60-year old man with Initial Insomnia. The patient has Heart Palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing)
- A study of side effects of Lamictal Xr for a 43-year old woman with Bipolar I Disorder. The patient has Ocular Migraine
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Iron Dextran, B-12, Calcium Citrate, Minocycline Hydrochloride, Oxybutynin Chloride, Invega, Lamictal for a 46-year old woman with Protein Malnutrition, Cystic Acne, Overactive Bladder, Bipolar 2. The patient has Musculoskeletal Pain, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Musculoskeletal Stiffness
- A study of side effects of Lamictal for a 20-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Swollen Gums (swelling of gums)
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Valium for a 57-year old man with Pain - Shoulder, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Heart Palpitations
Recent Lamotrigine related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Zyprexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Prozac, Mirtazapine for a 45-year old woman who has OCD
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Lamotrigine for a 27-year old man who has Epilepsy
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Celexa for a 41-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Lamictal, Abilify, Latuda for a 41-year old woman who has Bipolar
- Comparions of Dexilant, Aldactone, Lamictal, Viibryd, Synthroid for a 33-year old woman who has Weight Loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.