Review: could Lamotrigine cause Osteoporosis?
Summary: Osteoporosis is found among people who take Lamotrigine, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Simvastatin, and have Bipolar disorder.
We study 14,787 people who have side effects while taking Lamotrigine from FDA and social media. Among them, 35 have Osteoporosis. Find out below who they are, when they have Osteoporosis and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Osteoporosis >>>
Lamotrigine has active ingredients of lamotrigine. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from 15,835 Lamotrigine users)
Osteoporosis (bones weak and more likely to break) has been reported by people with osteopenia, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 112,596 Osteoporosis patients)
On Mar, 31, 2015: 14,787 people reported to have side effects when taking Lamotrigine. Among them, 35 people (0.24%) have Osteoporosis.
Time on Lamotrigine when people have Osteoporosis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Osteoporosis when taking Lamotrigine * :
Age of people who have Osteoporosis when taking Lamotrigine * :
Severity of Osteoporosis when taking Lamotrigine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Osteoporosis ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Bipolar disorder (12 people, 34.29%)
- Epilepsy (7 people, 20.00%)
- Sarcoidosis (7 people, 20.00%)
- Status epilepticus (5 people, 14.29%)
- Osteoporosis (5 people, 14.29%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Simvastatin (19 people, 54.29%)
- Lamictal (13 people, 37.14%)
- Xanax (12 people, 34.29%)
- Zoloft (12 people, 34.29%)
- Exercise (10 people, 28.57%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Lamotrigine and osteoporosis on
Do you have Osteoporosis while taking Lamotrigine?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Osteoporosis
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine
- support group for people who have Osteoporosis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Albuterol, Fluticasone Propionate, Soma, Simvastatin, Zetia, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Ultram, Lamictal, Quetiapine Fumarate for a 48-year old woman with COPD, Allergy, Fibromyalgia, Total Cholesterol, Low Thyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Bipolar. The patient has Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Back Stiffness, Pain - Knee, Shortness Of Breath, Burning Across The Kneecap
- A study of drug interactions between Tylenol, Excedrin, Sumatriptan, Lamictal, Depakote Er, Lexapro for a 62-year old woman with Frequent Headaches, Migraine - Classic, Seizure Disorder, Adjustment Disorder With Mixed Anxiety And Depressed Mood. The patient has Horner Syndrome
- A study of side effects of Lamictal for a 38-year old woman with Seizure Disorder. The patient has Night Sweats
- A study of drug interactions between Ambien, Nexium, Lamictal, Keppra for a 42-year old woman with Sleep Disorder, Acid Reflux, Trigeminal Neuralgia. The patient has Constipation, Insomnia, Blurred Vision, Pressure Of Speech
- A study of drug interactions between Aricept, Lamictal, Desipramine Hydrochloride, Klonopin, Abilify, Lopressor for a 55-year old man with Alzheimers, Anticonvulsant Drug Level Below Therapeutic, Chronic Depression, Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Ii Disorder, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Lightheadedness - Dizzy, Dizziness (excl Vertigo)
Recent Lamotrigine related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Topiramate, Lipitor, Lamictal for a 33-year old man who has Bipolar
- Comparions of Lexapro, Lamotrigine, Nexplanon, Adderall Xr 30 for a 20-year old woman who has Birth Control
- Comparions of Citalopram Hydrobromide, Mebeverine Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Omeprazole, Lamotrigine for a 41-year old woman who has Temporal Lobe Nocturnal Epilepsy, Underactive Thyroid, IBS,depression, GERD
- Comparions of Zoloft, Lamictal for a 37-year old woman who has Bipolar Disorder
- Comparions of Zyprexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Prozac, Mirtazapine for a 45-year old woman who has OCD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.