Review: could Lamotrigine cause Renal failure (Acute kidney failure)?
Summary: Renal failure is found among people who take Lamotrigine, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Phenytoin, and have Epilepsy.
We study 14,797 people who have side effects while taking Lamotrigine from FDA and social media. Among them, 119 have Renal failure. Find out below who they are, when they have Renal failure and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Renal failure >>>
Lamotrigine has active ingredients of lamotrigine. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from 15,841 Lamotrigine users)
Renal failure (kidney dysfunction) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, coronary artery bypass, diabetes, multiple myeloma, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 72,156 Renal failure patients)
On Apr, 25, 2015: 14,797 people reported to have side effects when taking Lamotrigine. Among them, 129 people (0.87%) have Renal Failure.
Time on Lamotrigine when people have Renal failure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Renal failure||66.67%||11.11%||22.22%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Renal failure when taking Lamotrigine * :
|Renal failure||43.36%||56.64% |
Age of people who have Renal failure when taking Lamotrigine * :
|Renal failure||0.00%||0.00%||20.83%||6.67%||3.33%||28.33%||6.67%||34.17% |
Severity of Renal failure when taking Lamotrigine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Renal failure||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Renal failure ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Renal failure||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Epilepsy (35 people, 27.13%)
- Bipolar disorder (17 people, 13.18%)
- Convulsion (16 people, 12.40%)
- Grand mal convulsion (10 people, 7.75%)
- Peritoneal dialysis (8 people, 6.20%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Phenytoin (26 people, 20.16%)
- Valproate sodium (21 people, 16.28%)
- Valproic acid (18 people, 13.95%)
- Topiramate (18 people, 13.95%)
- Zofran (15 people, 11.63%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Lamotrigine and renal failure on
Do you have Renal Failure while taking Lamotrigine?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Renal Failure
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine
- support group for people who have Renal Failure
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Albuterol Sulfate, Singulair, Advair Diskus 500/50, Cetirizine Hydrochloride, Clonidine, Lamictal, Prozac, Imipramine Hydrochloride, Klonopin, Ambien for a 28-year old woman with Asthma, Allergy To Animal, Depression - Chronic, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Gad, Insomnia.
- A study of drug interactions between Glucosamine, Ativan, Synthroid, Seroquel, Abilify, Lamictal, Viibryd for a 72-year old woman with Health, Anxiety, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar. The patient has Muscle Rigidity
- A study of drug interactions between Polyethylene Glycol 3350; Sodium Sulfate; Sodium Chloride; Potassium Chloride; Sodium Ascorbate; Ascorbic Acid, Lamotrigine, Topamax, Keppra for a 5-year old boy with Constipation, Epilepsy. The patient has Urine Potassium Decreased, Sleepy, Mental Retardation, Leg Cramping, Fever, Leg Cramps, High-pitched Crying
- A study of drug interactions between Effexor Xr, Klonopin, Lamictal, Seroquel Xr, Adderall 20 for a 40-year old man with Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Adhd.
- A study of drug interactions between Gemfibrozil, Ditropan, Synthroid, Topamax, Lamictal, Risperdal for a 46-year old woman with Blood Triglycerides, Enlarged Liver, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Nose Bleeds
Recent Lamotrigine related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Neurontin, Topamax, Lyrica, Lamictal for a 64-year old man who has Anticonvulsant Drug Level Abnormal
- Comparions of Latuda, Abilify, Lamictal, Seroquel Xr for a 40-year old man who has Bipolar Disorder
- Comparions of Fluoxetine, Lamictal for a 48-year old woman who has Depression
- Comparions of Topiramate, Lamictal, Latuda for a 33-year old man who has Bipolar Ii Disorder
- Comparions of Lexapro, Lamotrigine, Nexplanon, Adderall Xr 30 for a 20-year old woman who has Birth Control
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.