Home > Lamotrigine > Renal failure > Lamotrigine and Renal failure
Review: could Lamotrigine cause Renal failure (Acute kidney failure)?
Summary: Renal failure is found among people who take Lamotrigine, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Phenytoin, and have Epilepsy.
We study 14,735 people who have side effects while taking Lamotrigine from FDA and social media. Among them, 119 have Renal failure. Find out below who they are, when they have Renal failure and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Renal failure >>>
Lamotrigine (latest outcomes from 15,786 users) has active ingredients of lamotrigine. It is often used in bipolar disorder.
Renal failure (kidney dysfunction) (latest reports from 434,588 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, coronary artery bypass, diabetes, multiple myeloma, pain.
On Oct, 31, 2014: 14,735 people reported to have side effects when taking Lamotrigine. Among them, 129 people (0.88%) have Renal Failure.
Time on Lamotrigine when people have Renal failure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Renal failure||66.67%||11.11%||22.22%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Renal failure when taking Lamotrigine * :
|Renal failure||43.36%||56.64% |
Age of people who have Renal failure when taking Lamotrigine * :
|Renal failure||0.00%||0.00%||20.83%||6.67%||3.33%||28.33%||6.67%||34.17% |
Severity of Renal failure when taking Lamotrigine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Renal failure||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Renal failure ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Renal failure||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Epilepsy (35 people, 27.13%)
- Bipolar disorder (17 people, 13.18%)
- Convulsion (16 people, 12.40%)
- Grand mal convulsion (10 people, 7.75%)
- Peritoneal dialysis (8 people, 6.20%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Phenytoin (26 people, 20.16%)
- Valproate sodium (21 people, 16.28%)
- Valproic acid (18 people, 13.95%)
- Topiramate (18 people, 13.95%)
- Zofran (15 people, 11.63%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Renal Failure while taking Lamotrigine?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine and have Renal Failure
- support group for people who take Lamotrigine
- support group for people who have Renal Failure
Latest outcomes in real world:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can lamictal cause false positive pcp drug screen
(Asked by a 42 year old woman who has Epilepsy, and takes Lamictal Xr)
I had a rapid urine drug screen for new employment and it shows positive for PCP. I have never taken or even seen PCP. I am so embarrassed and mortified. Needless to say my urine has been sent to a lab to see if it can rule out false positive results. I called my neurologist and my Pharmacist an ...
- Effects taking lamictal abilify and pristiq
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has Blackouts Seizure, Bipolar Disorder, and takes Abilify, Lamictal, Pristiq)
Although I take these three drugs I am still experiencing symptoms of lethargy, lack of appetite Are these symptoms perhaps side effects of these grubs?
- I'm on 1 1/12 mg of suboxone. would i have to go off of it if i need major surgery?
(Asked by a 72 year old woman who takes Wellbutrin, Synthroid, Seroquel, Neurontin, Nexium, Losartan, Lamictal, Cardizem La)
I was taking about 5 to 15 mg of Percocet a day and wanted to get off them. If I don't take suboxone at night I get EXTREME discomfort down my left leg & can not sleep due to pressure on my lower back (that's why I had to take Percocet). I have tried NUMEROUS meds over the past 20 yrs & nothing work ...
- Creatinine rising on crestor & causing kidney failure
(Asked by a 64 year old man who has Kidney Failure, and takes Crestor)
Husband been on Crestor for 3 years...Creatinine been increasing and he already is a diabetic and been watching his kidney function. Everything I read online points to the Crestor causing Kidney Failure but the doctors REFUSE to listen too us and now he is heading toward dialysis or a Kidney Transpl ...
- Lamicta side effect nausa and vomiting after years of takin it for bi-polar
(Asked by a 65 year old woman who has Vomiting, Nausea, and takes Lamictal)
I been taking Lamictal for a couple of years. With no side effects. Presently I starter having nausea, and dry heaves ,
I went to the specialist they run test for stomach hernia, etc etc. they did not find any thing wrong. Today I noatice I experience nausea after taking Lamictal I experience ...
More questions for: Lamotrigine, Renal failure
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lamictal and eyes being gooey.
(Posted by a 39 year old woman who has Eye Discharge, and takes Lamictal)
While taking this medication, I experienced eye goo, sometimes stringing across my eye. Occasionally it would dry overnight and becoming crusty. I took this medication for over a year and the doctor kept prescribing me medication for conjunctivitis.
When I finally stopped taking this medication, ...
- Lamotrigine and indigestion
(Posted by a 54 year old woman who has Indigestion,constipation, and takes Lamotrigine)
I started taking Lamotrigine about a month or two ago. I think it has alleviated my depression somewhat but it has also been causing me pretty severe gastric and intestinal problems. I wake up every morning with indigestion/ and pressure in my stomach, I also have constipation I have gone several da ...
- Severe night sweats and hot flashes with cymbalta?
(Posted by a 25 year old woman who has Night Sweats, Hot Flashes, and takes Lamictal, Cymbalta)
I am 24 years old and I have been having severe night sweats for about the last 2 and a half years. I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 and a half years. These night sweats are so severe that I typically wake up 2-4 times a night drenched in sweat where I have to change the sheets, get a new blanket ...
- Hit and miss sleep with dextroamphetamine
(Posted by a 45 year old man who has Social, Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Ii Disorder, ADHD, and takes Trazodone Hydrochloride, Ziprasidone Hydrochloride, Lamotrigine, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate)
Started drug 2 months ago and have seen an improvement in my focus. Ziprosidone for my depression causes me to get dead tired by 7 pm. Once I started taking Dextroamphetamine I started having insomnia 2 times a week. I think I would rather sleep early than stay up all night and then try and stay a ...
- My ex-boyfriend's effexor effects
(Posted by a 49 year old man who has Incontinence - Urinary, Pedophilia, Nightmares, Acute Kidney Failure, and takes Effexor)
In my fifth year of living with my ex-boyfriend, he began taking Effexor and soon developed urinary incontinence, kidney failure and nightmares or night terrors so severe that he frequently screamed for prolonged periods, flailed and threw punches in his sleep. Upon ceasing to take Effexor, his sle ...
More reviews for: Lamotrigine, Renal failure
- A study of drug interactions between Concerta, Loestrin Fe 1/20, Lamictal, Prozac for a patient with ADHD, Birth Control, Mood Disorder, Depression. The patient has Mood Swings, Headache, Confusion Aggravated, Absence Seizure, Fainting
Comments: Lamictal was doubled and during menses, the episodes started
- A study of side effects of Lamictal for a patient with Bipolar. The patient has Dry Eye (lack of adequate tears)
Comments: I have been experiencing symptoms of dry eye, stinging and burning and dryness in my eyes for 10 years shortly after being put on lamictal. I'm trying to see if there is anyone else who has experienced this.
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Calcium Hydroxyapatite, Lamictal Xr, Actonel for a patient with Osteoporosis, Epilepsy. The patient has Dysphasia
Comments: Started about 6 months ago.
- A study of drug interactions between Fetzima, Ranitidine, Omeprazole, Gabapentin, Loratadine, Seroquel, Lamotrigine, Clonazepam, Baclofen, Levaquin, Oxycontin for a patient with Bipolar Ii Disorder, Acid Reflux, Nervous System Disorder, Allergic Cough, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Anxiety Disorder, Pain - Back, Chronic Bronchitis, Crps. The patient has Pulse Abnormal, Shakes, Fever, Chills, Chest Tightness, Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine, Cough, Weakness
Comments: I just had surgery on my left calf 11/03/14 and the infection disease center called today and said I had NOCARDIA growth.
- A study of side effects of Lamictal for a patient with Epilepsy. The patient has Rheumatoid Arthritis (a chronic progressive disease causing inflammation in the joints)
Comments: Left temporal lobe, no gm, 2-3 partials over 5 years that I know of, headache really bad 1 times week or so.
More related studies for: Lamotrigine, Renal failure
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.