Review: could Levaquin cause Clostridium difficile colitis?
Summary: Clostridium difficile colitis is found among people who take Levaquin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Flagyl, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 27,853 people who have side effects while taking Levaquin from FDA and social media. Among them, 123 have Clostridium difficile colitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Clostridium difficile colitis and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Levaquin and have Clostridium difficile colitis >>>
Levaquin has active ingredients of levofloxacin. It is often used in sinusitis. (latest outcomes from 28,795 Levaquin users)
Clostridium difficile colitis
Clostridium difficile colitis (inflammation of colon by clostridium difficile bacteria infection) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, multiple myeloma, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 3,640 Clostridium difficile colitis patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 27,853 people reported to have side effects when taking Levaquin. Among them, 123 people (0.44%) have Clostridium Difficile Colitis.
Time on Levaquin when people have Clostridium difficile colitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Clostridium difficile colitis||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Levaquin * :
|Clostridium difficile colitis||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||2.78%||2.78%||12.04%||31.48%||50.93% |
Severity of Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Levaquin ** :
How people recovered from Clostridium difficile colitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (23 people, 18.70%)
- Pain (21 people, 17.07%)
- Hypertension (13 people, 10.57%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (13 people, 10.57%)
- Insomnia (12 people, 9.76%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Flagyl (48 people, 39.02%)
- Protonix (44 people, 35.77%)
- Lisinopril (39 people, 31.71%)
- Aspirin (39 people, 31.71%)
- Reglan (38 people, 30.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of levaquin and clostridium difficile colitis on
Do you have Clostridium Difficile Colitis while taking Levaquin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Levaquin and have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
- support group for people who take Levaquin
- support group for people who have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Levaquin for a 49-year old woman with Respiratory Disorder. The patient has Neck Pain, Back Pain, Hypertensive Heart Disease, Rash Generalised, Skin Burning Sensation, Skin Sensitisation, Sun-induced Skin Changes - Keratosis, Short-term Memory Loss, Tendon Pain, Headache - Migraine With Aura, Neuropathy, Arterial Spasm
- A study of drug interactions between Lutein, CoQ-10, Saccharomyces Boulardii, Vitamin B12, Chelated Magnesium, Vitamin D, Levaquin, Escitalopram, Atorvastatin Calcium, Climara, Levothyroxine Sodium for a 56-year old woman with Vision Problems, Cardiovascular Antioxidant, Lack Of Regular Bowel Movements, Low Energy, Muscle Pain, C4 Level, Infection, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Menopause, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Tendon Pain, Muscle Pain, Joint Stiffness
- A study of drug interactions between Simvastatin, Omeprazole, Atenolol, Levaquin, Jantoven, Synthroid for a 73-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol, Gerd, Hypertension, Acute Bronchitis, Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Knee Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Adderall, Nexium, Metformin, Lexapro, Levaquin for a 52-year old woman with ADHD, Acid Reflux, Diabetes, Depression, Respiratory Disorder. The patient has Fatigue, Numbness And Tingling, Mouth Ulcers
Recent Levaquin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.