Review: could Levaquin cause Clostridium difficile colitis?
Summary: Clostridium difficile colitis is found among people who take Levaquin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Flagyl, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 27,850 people who have side effects while taking Levaquin from FDA and social media. Among them, 123 have Clostridium difficile colitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Clostridium difficile colitis and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Levaquin and have Clostridium difficile colitis >>>
Levaquin has active ingredients of levofloxacin. It is often used in sinusitis. (latest outcomes from 28,794 Levaquin users)
Clostridium difficile colitis
Clostridium difficile colitis (inflammation of colon by clostridium difficile bacteria infection) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, multiple myeloma, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 3,640 Clostridium difficile colitis patients)
On Feb, 28, 2015: 27,850 people reported to have side effects when taking Levaquin. Among them, 123 people (0.44%) have Clostridium Difficile Colitis.
Time on Levaquin when people have Clostridium difficile colitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Clostridium difficile colitis||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Levaquin * :
|Clostridium difficile colitis||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||2.78%||2.78%||12.04%||31.48%||50.93% |
Severity of Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Levaquin ** :
How people recovered from Clostridium difficile colitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (23 people, 18.70%)
- Pain (21 people, 17.07%)
- Hypertension (13 people, 10.57%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (13 people, 10.57%)
- Insomnia (12 people, 9.76%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Flagyl (48 people, 39.02%)
- Protonix (44 people, 35.77%)
- Lisinopril (39 people, 31.71%)
- Aspirin (39 people, 31.71%)
- Reglan (38 people, 30.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of levaquin and clostridium difficile colitis on
Do you have Clostridium Difficile Colitis while taking Levaquin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Levaquin and have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
- support group for people who take Levaquin
- support group for people who have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Levaquin for a 41-year old woman with Infection - Ear. The patient has Pain - Hip
- A study of side effects of Levaquin for a 74-year old man with Bronchitis. The patient has Skin Rash (redness)
- A study of drug interactions between Levaquin, Floxin for a 58-year old man with Pneumonia. The patient has Gait Disturbance, Fatigue, Not Breathing, Cataract, Peripheral Neuropathy, Bedridden, Pain, Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Tramadol And Acetaminophen, Skelaxin, Alprazolam, Triamterene And Hydrochlorothiazide, Coumadin, Levaquin for a 55-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Pain, Neck Pain, Sleep Disorder, Diuretic Effect, Blood Clots, Urinary Tract Infection. The patient has Feeling Cold
- A study of drug interactions between Triamcinolone Acetonide, Bactrim, Ciprofloxacin, Methadone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone, Vitamin D, Zomig, Vancomycin Hydrochloride for a 56-year old woman with Atopic Eczema, Kidney Infection, Uti - Acute, Fibromyalgia, Joint Pain, Migraine, C. Difficile Colitis. The patient has Atopic Eczema, Uti - Acute, Fibromyalgia, Migraine, C. Difficile Colitis, Pain - Bones
Recent Levaquin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.