Review: could Levofloxacin cause Metallic taste (Taste - impaired)?
Summary: Metallic taste is found among people who take Levofloxacin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lansoprazole, and have Aplastic anaemia.
We study 5,445 people who have side effects while taking Levofloxacin from FDA and social media. Among them, 12 have Metallic taste. Find out below who they are, when they have Metallic taste and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Levofloxacin and have Metallic taste >>>
Levofloxacin has active ingredients of levofloxacin; sodium chloride. It is often used in pneumonia. (latest outcomes from Levofloxacin 5,539 users)
Metallic taste (a bad taste in the mouth) has been reported by people with insomnia, quit smoking, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression.(latest reports from Metallic taste 24,191 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 5,444 people reported to have side effects when taking Levofloxacin. Among them, 12 people (0.22%) have Metallic Taste.
Time on Levofloxacin when people have Metallic taste * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Metallic taste||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Metallic taste when taking Levofloxacin * :
|Metallic taste||55.00%||45.00% |
Age of people who have Metallic taste when taking Levofloxacin * :
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||15.79%||0.00%||0.00%||15.79%||21.05%||47.37% |
Severity of Metallic taste when taking Levofloxacin ** :
How people recovered from Metallic taste ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Aplastic anaemia (3 people, 25.00%)
- Hiv infection (2 people, 16.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lansoprazole (9 people, 75.00%)
- Losartan potassium (8 people, 66.67%)
- Timolol maleate (8 people, 66.67%)
- Pilocarpine (8 people, 66.67%)
- Losartan potassijm (8 people, 66.67%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Metallic Taste while taking Levofloxacin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Levofloxacin and have Metallic Taste
- support group for people who take Levofloxacin
- support group for people who have Metallic Taste
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Levofloxacin, Metallic taste
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Celebrex and taste loss
Following foot surgery, I have taken Celebrex for most of the last 4 months. I can no longer taste or smell. I just started a Z pack for a sinus problem and am hoping that will clear any infection that could be contributing to this loss. I have also stopped taking Celebrex in the meantime.
- Loss of taste & recovery
Condition appeared upon use of Simvastatin. Mostly corrected by liberal use of MSG.
More reviews for: Levofloxacin, Metallic taste
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was prescribed Voltaren gel for tenosynovitis of my thumb. Helped the pain somewhat, but I woke up feeling terrible. I am sensitive to stronger oral pain medications, which is why this was prescribed in the first place, but the side effects are worse than when I have taken codeine. Felt somewhat be ...
- Hot flash onset ca. 30 mins post oral admin of levofloxacin. Prednisone listed due to potential x reaction. Prednisone spaced at least 4 hours prior to levofloxacin. Results in moderate hot flashes and reddening of skin as well as raised basal temperature for 8 hours. Normality restored approx. 1 ...
- Patient was in constant pain with no ability to move (wasn't even able to pick a glass of water). No supplements were given while on Levofloxacin and inspite of family questioning the high dosage for an unconfirmed Koch's spine diagnosis, patient was prescribed 750mgs of Levoflox twice a day; making ...
- The taste is so bad that it can turn my stomach. I have been told to stay
on the drug due to having a very bad case of shingles in the ear and mouth.
Will it go away when I am off the medication
- I took the prednisone on 9/29/13 for 7 days and stopped as per my doctor said when I complained of leg pain. It got so severe I ended up in ER. Took pain meds till it was gone in 5 days. I could not walk on own.
I took the Levofloxacin in January of this year for 7 days. My left leg started hurti ...
More related studies for: Levofloxacin, Metallic taste
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.