Review: could Levothyroxine sodium cause Heartburn (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)?
Summary: Heartburn is found among people who take Levothyroxine sodium, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Coumadin, and have Hypothyroidism.
We study 67,569 people who have side effects while taking Levothyroxine sodium from FDA and social media. Among them, 107 have Heartburn. Find out below who they are, when they have Heartburn and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Levothyroxine sodium and have Heartburn >>>
Levothyroxine sodium has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism. (latest outcomes from 70,258 Levothyroxine sodium users)
Heartburn (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, gastroesophageal reflux disease, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis. (latest reports from 19,208 Heartburn patients)
On Apr, 1, 2015: 67,569 people reported to have side effects when taking Levothyroxine sodium. Among them, 107 people (0.16%) have Heartburn.
Time on Levothyroxine sodium when people have Heartburn * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Heartburn when taking Levothyroxine sodium * :
Age of people who have Heartburn when taking Levothyroxine sodium * :
Severity of Heartburn when taking Levothyroxine sodium ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Heartburn ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypothyroidism (17 people, 15.89%)
- Depression (12 people, 11.21%)
- Hypertension (12 people, 11.21%)
- Thyroid disorder (9 people, 8.41%)
- Uterine leiomyoma (8 people, 7.48%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Coumadin (14 people, 13.08%)
- Aspirin (14 people, 13.08%)
- Lasix (14 people, 13.08%)
- Synthroid (11 people, 10.28%)
- Omeprazole (11 people, 10.28%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Levothyroxine sodium and heartburn on
Do you have Heartburn while taking Levothyroxine Sodium?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Levothyroxine sodium and have Heartburn
- support group for people who take Levothyroxine sodium
- support group for people who have Heartburn
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Levothyroxine Sodium for a 41-year old woman with Possible Thyroid Issue, Not Confirmed By Tests. The patient has Migraine (headache), Widespread Body Aches, Loss Of Hair, Anxiety, Sometimes Unable To Retrieve Words, Brain Fog, Weight Gain - Unintentional, Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan, Actos, Metformin, Synthroid, Invokana for a 53-year old woman with Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Binge Eating
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Wellbutrin for a 63-year old woman with Thyroid Disorder, Depression. The patient has Constipation
- A study of side effects of Levothyroxine Sodium for a 54-year old man with Thyroid Disorder. The patient has Numb & Painful Feet Pain. Possible Metatarsalgia, Mortans Nueroma
- A study of side effects of Synthroid for a 52-year old man with Hypothyroidism. The patient has Raynaud's Phenomenon (discoloration of the fingers, toes, and occasionally other areas)
Recent Levothyroxine sodium related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Citalopram Hydrobromide, Mebeverine Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Omeprazole, Lamotrigine for a 41-year old woman who has Temporal Lobe Nocturnal Epilepsy, Underactive Thyroid, IBS,depression, GERD
- Comparions of Lyrica, Flexeril, Adderall 10, Levothyroxine Sodium, Norco for a 39-year old woman who has Cervical Spinal Stenosis
- Comparions of Meloxicam, Synthroid for a 45-year old woman who has Antiinflammatory Therapy
- Comparions of Dexilant, Aldactone, Lamictal, Viibryd, Synthroid for a 33-year old woman who has Weight Loss
- Comparions of Omeprazole Magnesium, Synthroid for a 40-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.