Review: could Lexapro cause Binge eating?
Summary: Binge eating is reported only by a few people who take Lexapro.
We study 35,789 people who have side effects while taking Lexapro from FDA and social media. Among them, 5 have Binge eating. Find out below who they are, when they have Binge eating and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Lexapro and have Binge eating >>>
Lexapro has active ingredients of escitalopram oxalate. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 39,495 Lexapro users)
Binge eating (pattern of disordered eating which consists of episodes of uncontrollable eating) has been reported by people with insomnia, restless leg syndrome, depression, high blood pressure, quit smoking. (latest reports from 476 Binge eating patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 35,765 people reported to have side effects when taking Lexapro. Among them, 5 people (0.01%) have Binge Eating.
Time on Lexapro when people have Binge eating * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Binge eating||0.00%||66.67%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||33.33%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Binge eating when taking Lexapro * :
|Binge eating||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||83.33%||16.67%||0.00% |
Severity of Binge eating when taking Lexapro ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Binge eating||0.00%||66.67%||33.33%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Binge eating ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Binge eating||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Bipolar i disorder (3 people, 60.00%)
- Depression (2 people, 40.00%)
- Pain (1 people, 20.00%)
- Diabetes mellitus non-insulin-dependent (1 people, 20.00%)
- Insomnia (1 people, 20.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Clonazepam (2 people, 40.00%)
- Abilify (2 people, 40.00%)
- Klonopin (2 people, 40.00%)
- Cymbalta (1 people, 20.00%)
- Neurontin (1 people, 20.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Rosa (3 years ago):
I found that my side effects worsedned after raising my dose. I am not able to sleep at all. approximately 3-5 hours a nite, sometimes not at all. And when i can't sleep, I binge eat in the middle of the night. I have NEVER done this. I also take 1 mg of klonopin, and 150mg of lamictal. I will be weaning myself off of the lexapro. I had a horrible experience with celexa and cymbalta "withdrawal". I'm hoping lexapro isn't as bad. Wish me luck!!
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of lexapro and binge eating on
Do you have Binge Eating while taking Lexapro?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Lexapro and have Binge Eating
- support group for people who take Lexapro
- support group for people who have Binge Eating
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Lexapro for a 15-year old girl with Depression. The patient has Yawning - Excessive
- A study of drug interactions between Daytrana, Lorazepam, Lexapro, Risperdal for a 27-year old woman with ADHD, Anxiety, Major Depression, Depression. The patient has Thinking Slowed, Tingling And Numbness, Memory Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Protonix, Neurontin, Abilify, Lexapro, Lamictal, Humira for a 56-year old man with Acid Reflux, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Psoriasis.
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Lexapro, Risperdal, Concerta, Accutane for a 17-year old girl with Stomach Discomfort, Anxiety Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Adhd, Acne And Teenagers. The patient has Painful Menstrual Periods, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weakness
- A study of side effects of Lexapro for a 32-year old man with Depression. The patient has Parkinsonism - Secondary
Recent Lexapro related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.