Review: could Lexapro cause Loose bowel movements (Diarrhea)?
Summary: Loose bowel movements is found among people who take Lexapro, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Depression.
We study 35,765 people who have side effects while taking Lexapro from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,927 have Loose bowel movements. Find out below who they are, when they have Loose bowel movements and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Lexapro and have Loose bowel movements >>>
Lexapro has active ingredients of escitalopram oxalate. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 39,475 Lexapro users)
Loose bowel movements
Loose bowel movements (weak bowel movement) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, depression, osteoporosis. (latest reports from 139,352 Loose bowel movements patients)
On Mar, 10, 2015: 35,756 people reported to have side effects when taking Lexapro. Among them, 1,919 people (5.37%) have Loose Bowel Movements.
Time on Lexapro when people have Loose bowel movements * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Loose bowel movements||39.79%||32.46%||6.81%||5.24%||7.85%||3.66%||4.19% |
Age of people who have Loose bowel movements when taking Lexapro * :
|Loose bowel movements||0.06%||0.45%||3.14%||6.12%||8.36%||20.26%||24.69%||36.92% |
Severity of Loose bowel movements when taking Lexapro ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Loose bowel movements||13.51%||43.24%||37.84%||5.41% |
How people recovered from Loose bowel movements ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Loose bowel movements||7.14%||0.00%||92.86% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (486 people, 25.33%)
- Anxiety (210 people, 10.94%)
- Hypertension (155 people, 8.08%)
- Pain (142 people, 7.40%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (85 people, 4.43%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (378 people, 19.70%)
- Ambien (289 people, 15.06%)
- Xanax (283 people, 14.75%)
- Zometa (256 people, 13.34%)
- Nexium (237 people, 12.35%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of lexapro and loose bowel movements on
Do you have Loose Bowel Movements while taking Lexapro?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Lexapro and have Loose Bowel Movements
- support group for people who take Lexapro
- support group for people who have Loose Bowel Movements
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Tamiflu, Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide, Nitrostat, Ondansetron, Oxycodone, Actemra, Nasonex, Spiriva, Victoza, Arava, Diovan Hct, Lipitor, Ranexa, Lantus Solostar, Wellbutrin Xl, Tricor, Carvedilol, Plavix, Xarelto for a 71-year old woman with Influenza B, Copd, Angina, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rhinitis, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control, Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Stop Smoking, Blood Clots. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Neuropathy, Tinnitus, Loss Of Coordination, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Loss, Appetite - Decreased, Diarrhea, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of drug interactions between Topiramate, Atenolol, Alprazolam, Lexapro for a 54-year old man with Migraine, Hypertension, Anxiety Disorder, Depression. The patient has Folliculitis
- A study of side effects of Cellcept for a 21-year old woman with Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. The patient has Chills (felling of cold), Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Sweating - Excessive (abnormally increased sweating), Fever, Sleepiness (excess sleeping), Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness (feeling of tiredness), Diarrhoea, Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)
- A study of side effects of Magnesium for a 59-year old woman with Hypomagnesemia. The patient has Diarrhea
- A study of drug interactions between Cialis, Omega 3, Sinemet, Escitalopram, Bystolic, Lotrel, Simvastatin, Clonazepam, Vesicare for a 60-year old man with Incontinence, Age-related Hearing Loss, Parkinson's Disease, Depression, Blood Pressure Inadequately Controlled, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Sleep Disorder, Urgent Urination. The patient has Fatigue, Parkinsonian Gait, Tremor
Recent Lexapro related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Sertraline, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Prozac, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Lexapro for a 69-year old man who has Depression, Anxiety, Panic Disorders
- Comparions of Zyprexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Prozac, Mirtazapine for a 45-year old woman who has OCD
- Comparions of Depo-provera, Escitalopram, Lamotrigine for a 38-year old woman who has Bipolar I Disorder
- Comparions of Sertraline, Escitalopram, Duloxetine Hydrochloride, Paxil for a 27-year old man who has Depression
- Comparions of Pristiq, Lexapro for a 58-year old woman who has Depression
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.