Home > Lexapro > Serotonin syndrome > Lexapro and Serotonin syndrome
Review: could Lexapro cause Serotonin syndrome?
We study 35,665 people who have side effects while taking Lexapro from FDA and social media. Among them, 151 have Serotonin syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Serotonin syndrome and more.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who take Lexapro and have Serotonin syndrome >>>
Lexapro (latest outcomes from 39,369 users) has active ingredients of escitalopram oxalate. It is often used in depression.
Serotonin syndrome (occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time) (latest reports from 34,546 patients) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, major depression, bipolar disorder.
On Oct, 26, 2014: 35,665 people reported to have side effects when taking Lexapro. Among them, 151 people (0.42%) have Serotonin Syndrome.
Time on Lexapro when people have Serotonin syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Serotonin syndrome||61.63%||26.74%||2.33%||1.16%||8.14%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Lexapro * :
|Serotonin syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||11.92%||17.22%||13.25%||19.87%||13.25%||24.50% |
Severity of Serotonin syndrome when taking Lexapro ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Serotonin syndrome||0.00%||66.67%||0.00%||33.33% |
How people recovered from Serotonin syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Serotonin syndrome||66.67%||0.00%||33.33% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (79 people, 52.32%)
- Anxiety (22 people, 14.57%)
- Hypertension (15 people, 9.93%)
- Insomnia (14 people, 9.27%)
- Major depression (11 people, 7.28%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ambien (17 people, 11.26%)
- Effexor xr (15 people, 9.93%)
- Ativan (14 people, 9.27%)
- Morphine (13 people, 8.61%)
- Maxzide (12 people, 7.95%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Serotonin Syndrome while taking Lexapro?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Lexapro and have Serotonin Syndrome
- support group for people who take Lexapro
- support group for people who have Serotonin Syndrome
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 years ago):
Have had several episodes of seratonin syndrome with mild to moderate symptoms. Reglan causes severe muscle spasms in the jaw.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Lexapro, Serotonin syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Lexapro and memory loss
I actually have no idea what other medicine I was on the week I took Lexapro, it was back at the end of February 2014 right before I checked myself into the psych hospital. I formed no memory for a whole week just because of one drug! My friends and family tell me what happened that week and I have ...
- Patients having false positives while on remeron
I have had a few patients complain they are failing drug tests for Amphetamines while on remeron, and have claimed to have not used any type of Amphetamine or any (Mixed Salts). These patients are all or were on probation, parole, or under some stipulation. Iv realized most of these patients are tak ...
- Yes, lexapro does cause tinnitus!
Whenever I forget to take my Lexapro in the morning, I get a high pitched ringing in my ears which starts around 1:00 pm, which won't go away until a few hours after I take the drug. Once I was out of the medication and I almost screamed because the ringing got so bad! I don't think it is as "rare" ...
More reviews for: Lexapro, Serotonin syndrome
On eHealthMe, Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) is often used for depression. Find out below the conditions Lexapro is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Lexapro used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
44 million health professionals and patients have studied on eHealthMe. Recent studies:
- Vyvanse, Celexa for a 12-year old girl who has Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity, Depression (13 minutes ago)
- Tylenol, Benadryl, Lialda, Azathioprine, Prednisone, Ambien, Zoloft for a 24-year old man who has Pain, Itching, Ulcerative Colitis, Insomnia, Depression (49 minutes ago)
- Nexium, Singulair, Flovent Hfa, Ambien, Seroquel, Prozac for a 33-year old woman who has Acid Reflux, Asthma, Sleep Disorder, Depression (54 minutes ago)
Recent mobile support groups
- Mucinex and Double Vision
- Chest Pain
- Excessive Masturbation
- Fastin for Weight Loss
Recent user comments
- "My ears were bothering me last week and were clogged ... " (50 minutes ago)
- "Had clogged ears with ear wax this week. Got them cle ... " (2 hours ago)
- "My son also has epilepsy. His seisures are always un ... " (3 hours ago)
- Infective Exacerbation Of Chronic Obstructive Airways Disease
- Reaction To Drug Preservatives
- Ultrasound Abdomen Abnormal
- Adhesive Capsulitis