Review: could Lipitor cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Lipitor, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 129,920 people who have side effects while taking Lipitor from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,269 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Lipitor and have Hair loss >>>
Lipitor has active ingredients of atorvastatin calcium. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 132,828 Lipitor users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,762 Hair loss patients)
On Mar, 27, 2015: 129,909 people reported to have side effects when taking Lipitor. Among them, 1,269 people (0.98%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Lipitor when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||12.78%||18.80%||16.54%||23.31%||10.53%||12.78%||5.26% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Lipitor * :
|Hair loss||78.64%||21.36% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Lipitor * :
|Hair loss||0.20%||0.10%||0.00%||0.30%||2.51%||9.83%||20.96%||66.10% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Lipitor ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||5.56%||44.44%||38.89%||11.11% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||18.18%||81.82% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (302 people, 23.80%)
- Hypertension (119 people, 9.38%)
- Hyperlipidaemia (44 people, 3.47%)
- Depression (39 people, 3.07%)
- Diabetes mellitus (36 people, 2.84%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (200 people, 15.76%)
- Synthroid (93 people, 7.33%)
- Atenolol (91 people, 7.17%)
- Norvasc (82 people, 6.46%)
- Toprol-xl (81 people, 6.38%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of lipitor and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Lipitor?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Lipitor and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Lipitor
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Chondroitin And Glucosamine, Lipitor, Cardizem for a 65-year old man with Osteoarthritis, Cholesterol, Hypertension. The patient has Urinary Incontinence
- A study of side effects of Welchol for a 74-year old woman with Diareaha. The patient has Hair Thinning
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Amlodipine Besylate, Nexium for a 55-year old woman with Pain, High Blood Pressure, Acid Reflux. The patient has Increased Thirst, Dry Skin, Diarrhea, Skin Rash, Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Implanon for a 26-year old woman with Birth Control. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metformin for a 63-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes. The patient has Blood Urine
Recent Lipitor related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Tadalafil, Atorvastatin Calcium, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Ramipril for a 56-year old man who has Pain In Limb
- Comparions of Flecainide Acetate, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Eliquis, Lipitor, Zoloft for a 56-year old woman who has Blood Pressure Fluctuation
- Comparions of Prazosin Hydrochloride, PROZAC, Sildenafil Citrate, Atorvastatin Calcium, Amlodipine Besylate for a 49-year old man who has Major Depression, Anxiety
- Comparions of Plavix, Lipitor, Losartan for a 70-year old man who has Health
- Comparions of Topiramate, Lipitor, Lamictal for a 33-year old man who has Bipolar
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.