Home > Lipitor > Underactive thyroid > Lipitor and Underactive thyroid
Review: could Lipitor cause Underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism)?
Summary: Underactive thyroid is found among people who take Lipitor, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Blood cholesterol increased.
We study 129,823 people who have side effects while taking Lipitor from FDA and social media. Among them, 597 have Underactive thyroid. Find out below who they are, when they have Underactive thyroid and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Lipitor and have Underactive thyroid >>>
Lipitor (latest outcomes from 132,722 users) has active ingredients of atorvastatin calcium. It is often used in high blood cholesterol.
Underactive thyroid (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) (latest reports from 43,269 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, depression, multiple sclerosis.
On Nov, 15, 2014: 129,823 people reported to have side effects when taking Lipitor. Among them, 597 people (0.46%) have Underactive Thyroid.
Time on Lipitor when people have Underactive thyroid * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Underactive thyroid||16.00%||20.00%||0.00%||20.00%||16.00%||26.00%||2.00% |
Gender of people who have Underactive thyroid when taking Lipitor * :
|Underactive thyroid||63.69%||36.31% |
Age of people who have Underactive thyroid when taking Lipitor * :
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.78%||2.52%||17.44%||20.74%||58.53% |
Severity of Underactive thyroid when taking Lipitor ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from Underactive thyroid ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (118 people, 19.77%)
- Hypertension (91 people, 15.24%)
- Depression (53 people, 8.88%)
- Osteoporosis (46 people, 7.71%)
- Blood cholesterol (42 people, 7.04%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (203 people, 34.00%)
- Synthroid (197 people, 33.00%)
- Lasix (118 people, 19.77%)
- Protonix (112 people, 18.76%)
- Zometa (112 people, 18.76%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Underactive Thyroid while taking Lipitor?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Lipitor and have Underactive Thyroid
- support group for people who take Lipitor
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is it okay to take co enzyme q 10 with levothyroxine
(Asked by a 66 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
Is it okay to take Co Enzyme Q10 with Lovothyroxine. Will it stop my Levothyroxine from working properly. I am also on Simvastaton. Would appreciate any advice on this.
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
(Asked by a 88 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Dementia (controlled), and takes Multivitamin, Lipitor, Claritin, Allopurinol, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Namenda Xr, Aricept, Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Bystolic, Lexapro)
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid ...
- Omeprazole or pantoprazole?
(Asked by a 39 year old woman who has Hormone Level Nos Abnormal, Hypothyroidism, Tinnitus, Migraine With Aura, Blood Pressure Fluctuation, Insomnia, Ulcer - Stomach, and takes Lasix, Topamax, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Inderal, Pantoprazole)
I take an oral contraceptive, Diane-35 ED, which is not in the list of drugs to choose from on this site.
Recently, the medication I was taking for my stomach ulcer (Omeprazole) became unavailable in my country of residence and was replaced by Patoprazole. I started taking it yesterday morning a ...
- Laryngitis from depression?
(Asked by a 59 year old woman who has Diabetic, Heart Attack, Hardly Any Voice For 8wks. Long History Of Depression. , and takes Lipitor, Metformin, Insulin, Prozac)
I had a heart attack 3yrs ago, finding it hard to handle. Waiting for a complete knee replacement, also long history of back problems. Chronic pain. Diabetic on insulin.
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
(Asked by a 59 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, Granuloma Annulare, and takes Topamax, Calcium , Vitamin D, Zetia, Effexor Xr, Levoxyl)
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Met ...
More questions for: Lipitor, Underactive thyroid
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lipitor weight loss/ lisinipril ed issue
(Posted by a 62 year old man who has Erection Problems, Bad Dreams, Weight Loss, and takes Lisinopril, Lipitor)
40 mg Lipitor for two months caused 8 pounds weight loss,thoughts of losing my mind ,racing heart rate,mental confusion,emergency visits twice,never in my life have gone to hospital by ambulance..5'11 178 BM 17 ,faithful gym rat ,all test ruled out physical issues,informed doctor, he didn't feel Lip ...
- Lipitor caused gout attack.
(Posted by a 68 year old man who has Gout, High Collestoral, and takes Lipitor)
My doctor gave me Lipitor to lower my Collestoral (240). Three days later I had lower stomach pains and the beginning of a Gout attack on my foot. I stopped taking the drug after 4 days when the full blown Gout attack came. I had been watching my diet and had not had a Gout attack for two years ( ...
- Nexium improves my constipation
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Constipation, GERD, and takes Lyrica, Methadone Hydrochloride, Lipitor)
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
- Motor neuron and periphal neurophy
(Posted by a 76 year old man who has Motor Neurone Disease, and takes Lipitor)
Took Lipitor for 5years ,3 years later have periphal neurophy plus motor neuron disease. Now totally incompasitated..
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
(Posted by a 38 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
More reviews for: Lipitor, Underactive thyroid
- A study of drug interactions between Myrbetriq, Pradaxa, Mirtazapine, Lipitor, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Calcium, Namenda Xr, Exelon for a patient with Overactive Bladder, Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, Depression - Elderly, Lower Cholesterol, Hypothyroidism, Osteoporosis And Aging, Senile Dementia. The patient has Confusional State
Comments: My mother has overactive bladder symptoms. She has tried oxybutin, vesicare and now myrbetriq. She had increased confusion with oxybutin and vesicare...so we stopped taking them. Now she has been taking myrbetriq for a week now and I am wondering if I am seeing increased confusion again even thou ...
- A study of drug interactions between Atorvastatin Calcium, Losartan, Metformin, Glyburide, Bystolic, Pradaxa for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Diabetic Coma, Blood Pressure Increased, A-fib. The patient has Leg Cramping, Weakness
Comments: I stop pradaxa a week before having pain shot for lower back pain. I have no pain or weakness for about a week after going back on pradaxa. This has happended three times now. Can't say for sure the pradaxa is the cause or if that is the amount of time the pain shot last.
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Atorvastatin Calcium, Methadone Hydrochloride, Indomethacin for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol, Pain, Gout. The patient has Toe Swelling, Painful Response To Normal Stimuli
Comments: Diagnosed with Gout about 5 weeks ago,Prescribed Indomethacin but little relief.Feelings of electrical shocks have now started.Researched and my symptoms seem to be more in line with Peripheral Neuropathy than Gout.Have found that Indomethacin contributes to P.N Pain.
- A study of side effects of Lipitor for a patient with Coronary Artery Atherosclerosis. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
Comments: I have copd and also take symbicort and spireva for the copd. I am on Metropolol
and isosorbide and was prescribed 80 mg Lipitor daily. The stiff hear was diagnosed after the Lipitor was prescribed.
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Niacin, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Pantoprazole, Tramadol Hydrochloride And Acetaminophen for a patient with Supplement, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Vitamin B-12 Level, Acid Reflux, Pain In Limb. The patient has Hypothyroidism
Comments: I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in Sept. 2012 after 6 yrs. of taking Tramadol 50mg. I had gotten it under control using Red Yeast Rice 200mg 3 times a day, Niacin, and Multi-vitamin with iodine. I was told to eat more fish and add iodized salt to my diet which I had done. Then after starting t ...
More related studies for: Lipitor, Underactive thyroid
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.