Review: could Lipitor cause Underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism)?
Summary: Underactive thyroid is found among people who take Lipitor, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 129,898 people who have side effects while taking Lipitor from FDA and social media. Among them, 597 have Underactive thyroid. Find out below who they are, when they have Underactive thyroid and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Lipitor and have Underactive thyroid >>>
Lipitor has active ingredients of atorvastatin calcium. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 132,805 Lipitor users)
Underactive thyroid (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, depression, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 49,613 Underactive thyroid patients)
On Feb, 14, 2015: 129,898 people reported to have side effects when taking Lipitor. Among them, 597 people (0.46%) have Underactive Thyroid.
Time on Lipitor when people have Underactive thyroid * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Underactive thyroid||16.00%||20.00%||0.00%||20.00%||16.00%||26.00%||2.00% |
Gender of people who have Underactive thyroid when taking Lipitor * :
|Underactive thyroid||63.69%||36.31% |
Age of people who have Underactive thyroid when taking Lipitor * :
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.78%||2.52%||17.44%||20.74%||58.53% |
Severity of Underactive thyroid when taking Lipitor ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from Underactive thyroid ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Underactive thyroid||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (118 people, 19.77%)
- Hypertension (91 people, 15.24%)
- Depression (53 people, 8.88%)
- Osteoporosis (46 people, 7.71%)
- Blood cholesterol (42 people, 7.04%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (203 people, 34.00%)
- Synthroid (197 people, 33.00%)
- Lasix (118 people, 19.77%)
- Protonix (112 people, 18.76%)
- Zometa (112 people, 18.76%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Underactive Thyroid while taking Lipitor?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Lipitor and have Underactive Thyroid
- support group for people who take Lipitor
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Lithium Carbonate for a 67-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Dry Mouth, Weight Gain, Sleepiness - During The Day (excess sleeping during day time)
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metformin Hydrochloride; Repaglinide for a 53-year old man with High Blood Cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes. The patient has Muscular Weakness, Thoughts - Cloudy, Appetite - Decreased
- A study of side effects of Provera for a 20-year old woman with Amenorrhoea. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development)
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Atorvastatin Calcium, Omeprazole for a 69-year old man with Jet Lag, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Reflux Oesophagitis. The patient has Itching - Vaginal Area
- A study of drug interactions between Atorvastatin Calcium, Levothyroxine Sodium, Dilantin for a 66-year old man with High Blood Cholesterol, Hypothyroidism, Seizure - Grand Mal. The patient has Finger Cramps, No Energy, Difficulty Breathing, Irritability, Sensitivity To The Cold
Recent Lipitor related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.