Review: could Lipitor cause Weight gain?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 3, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.6/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 129,745 people who take Lipitor. Among them, 3,068 have Weight gain. See who they are, when they have Weight gain and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Lipitor (latest outcomes from 132,452 users) has active ingredients of atorvastatin calcium. It is often used in high blood pressure, blood cholesterol decreased. Commonly reported side effects of Lipitor include weakness, muscle aches, myalgia aggravated, nausea, nausea aggravated.
Weight gain (latest reports from 509,402 patients) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, acupuncture and pain.
On Feb, 21, 2014: 123,600 people reported to have side effects when taking Lipitor. Among them, 2,982 people (2.41%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Lipitor when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||10.71%||20.54%||11.61%||15.18%||18.75%||14.73%||8.48% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Lipitor * :
|Weight gain||64.69%||35.31% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Lipitor * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.04%||0.20%||0.66%||4.10%||13.47%||29.83%||51.70% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Lipitor ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||3.33%||40.00%||53.33%||3.33% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (555 people, 18.61%)
- Hypertension (300 people, 10.06%)
- Depression (212 people, 7.11%)
- Diabetes mellitus (182 people, 6.10%)
- Pain (135 people, 4.53%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (644 people, 21.60%)
- Lasix (416 people, 13.95%)
- Avandia (411 people, 13.78%)
- Lisinopril (301 people, 10.09%)
- Neurontin (296 people, 9.93%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Lipitor, Weight gain
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium) is often used for high blood pressure. Find out below the conditions Lipitor is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Lipitor used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Lipitor side effects from A to Z:
Browse Lipitor drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 years ago):
anita.broker on Aug, 19, 2012:
Does Combivent react with Armour thyroid meds?
From this study (4 years ago):
sparky on May, 19, 2010:
I have taken Tegretol XR for many years without having a seizure in 17 years. After 1 week of taking Lipitor (for cholesterol) I suffered a grand mal seizure. They found my Tegretol level at zero when I got to the hospital. I completely believe the Lipitor stopped my body from absorbing the Tegretol. The neurologist thought so as well, but would not file this report as he should have!
From this study (4 years ago):
chrizzy_70 on Mar, 28, 2010:
I was on topamax for over 5 yrs with my dosage reaching 350 mg. I drank socially at least twice a month with no noted side affects. During the time on this medication, lab work was only done twice to moniter enzymes in my pancreas and liver. After a night of drinking (3 beers), I awoke with my stomache hurting. I was treated by my family dr for the flu and gasto disorder. After 3 weeks of pain I went to emergency room where I was diagnosed with pancrititus. I went of of topamax and have been off for a week and I am starting to feel better. This incodent could have been prevented with timely blood work by my dr!!
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Lipitor, Weight gain
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Stopping pristiq for my memory
I have been on Pristiq for 3 years. My short term memory loss is a great concern to me. I am 45 and I have questioned my doctor and given my concerns to the point she referred me to a neurologist but said it was not the Pristiq. There is no other drugs I am taking or have taken to cause this proble ...
- Lipitor bad reaction
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids ha ...
- Nausea with felodipine
I am incapacitated by nausea and headaches until mid afternoon. I take 5 mg felodipine each night about 11 pm. What can I do to manage it.
More reviews for: Lipitor, Weight gain
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Cymbalta, Seroquel Xr, Xanax Xr, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Lipitor, Valsartan, Thyrolar-1 - 0.05MG;0.0125MG, Glucophage for a patient with Depression - Major, Anxiety, Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes. The patient has Sweating - Excessive (Hyperhidrosis), Weight Gain (Weight increased), Sweet Tooth Addiction, Heightened Liver Ensymes, Anxiety (Stress and anxiety)
- A study of drug interactions between Mobic, Synthroid, Atenolol, Boniva, Allegra, Prilosec, Calcium Acetate, Zoloft, Lipitor for a patient with Arthritis - Osteoarthritis, Hypothyroidism, High Blood Pressure, Bone Density Decreased, Allergen, Gerd, Osteoarthritis, Depression, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal. The patient has Fatigue Aggravated, Fibromyalgia, Weight Gain (Weight increased), Lower Blood Pressure (Hypotension), Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness (Fatigue), Hot Flushes Aggravated (Hot Flush)
- A study of drug interactions between Lyrica, Glucophage, Voltaren, Lipitor for a patient with Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, Arthritis, Cholesterol. The patient has Joint Pain, Weight Gain (Weight increased), Muscle Pain (Muscle aches), Swelling Of Feet
More related studies for: Lipitor, Weight gain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.