Review: could Lipitor cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Lipitor, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 129,845 people who have side effects while taking Lipitor from FDA and social media. Among them, 3,073 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Lipitor and have Weight gain >>>
Lipitor has active ingredients of atorvastatin calcium. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from Lipitor 132,739 users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Weight gain 75,856 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 129,823 people reported to have side effects when taking Lipitor. Among them, 3,073 people (2.37%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Lipitor when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||9.96%||21.16%||10.79%||14.11%||18.67%||14.11%||11.20% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Lipitor * :
|Weight gain||64.84%||35.16% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Lipitor * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.04%||0.19%||0.64%||4.35%||13.21%||29.42%||52.14% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Lipitor ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||2.86%||40.00%||54.29%||2.86% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||22.22%||77.78% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (580 people, 18.87%)
- Hypertension (308 people, 10.02%)
- Depression (216 people, 7.03%)
- Diabetes mellitus (183 people, 5.96%)
- Pain (142 people, 4.62%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (658 people, 21.41%)
- Lasix (426 people, 13.86%)
- Avandia (413 people, 13.44%)
- Lisinopril (310 people, 10.09%)
- Neurontin (303 people, 9.86%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Lipitor?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Lipitor and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Lipitor
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Are an increase in appetite & tiredness side effects of the birth control tri-sprintec?
In the past I have taken the birth control Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and have never had any problems. I just switched to the generic brand, Tri-sprintec. I have now officially been taking Tri-Sprintec for 2 months. I recently started to notice that my appetite has increased and I've been eating A LOT more than normal; I have definitely started to gain weight. I also have been a lot more tired than usual.
- Bisoprolol ,ive gained 56 pounds
i had a triple by pass,and was prescribed bisoprolol.since taking it i have gained 4 stones in weight ,ive tried diets ,exercise nothing takes the weight off ,should i stop the tablets.
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid dreams that carry over when she awakens, or if she wakes up and sees visions. I do not want to change her meds, if possible. This combination of Aricept, Namenda and Lexapro have allowed her to be sharper mentally than she has in a number of years. Except for the hallucinations, it's been nothing short of amazing. Please help. Thank you
- Do the side effects of prolia either stop or lessen over the 6 month period between injections?
I am wondering if the side effects of Prolia go away or lessen during the six months it is taken for.
- Laryngitis from depression?
I had a heart attack 3yrs ago, finding it hard to handle. Waiting for a complete knee replacement, also long history of back problems. Chronic pain. Diabetic on insulin.
More questions for: Lipitor, Weight gain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lipitor weight loss/ lisinipril ed issue (1 response)
40 mg Lipitor for two months caused 8 pounds weight loss,thoughts of losing my mind ,racing heart rate,mental confusion,emergency visits twice,never in my life have gone to hospital by ambulance..5'11 178 BM 17 ,faithful gym rat ,all test ruled out physical issues,informed doctor, he didn't feel Lipitor was the cause,I stopped Lipitor 3 weeks later not losing weight ,bad dreams gone,feeling like myself again,hoping to regain the weight in time,Lisinpril 10 mg started two years ago ,has issues but did not connect until recently,3 months after taking started to have problems in the bedroom,only within the last 5 months did it occur to me was that was the cause of my sexual performance...had all test done testosterone ,blood work and all came back normal,stopped taking Lisinpril for 4 days a my manhood returned to normal!! Just spoke with doctor and says that shouldn't be????? Really ,he has since written me a new BP prescription,recent BP readings have been normal and will not take until BP rises....eating better ,with supplements ,,why Doctors don't believe the patient is incredulous ,thanks to sites like this people need to really question the health care their getting .....
- Lipitor caused gout attack.
My doctor gave me Lipitor to lower my Collestoral (240). Three days later I had lower stomach pains and the beginning of a Gout attack on my foot. I stopped taking the drug after 4 days when the full blown Gout attack came. I had been watching my diet and had not had a Gout attack for two years (my first one). Nothing changed except the Lipitor. I have no doubt the attack was brought on by the Lipitor. If you have Gout DO NOT TAKE LIPITOR (or its generic). Im now in my second week of pain and it's terrible.
- Nexium improves my constipation
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
- Lyrica varied widely
I was prescribed Lyrica for treatment of chronic pain. It was ineffective, but it knocked out the symptoms of interstitial. However, it also caused rapid weight gain (I went from 110 to 130 lbs. in just a few weeks) and my ankles started to swell. The pain doctor advised me to discontinue the drug, but the urologist suggested lowering the dose. I did, and the swelling went down. I weighed myself daily and watched what I ate, and my weight returned to normal within a month. Subsequently, I continued taking the lower dose and had no further problems. Then I developed severe spinal stenosis, and my dosage of Lyrica was increased to six 75 capsules daily, in addition to 480 mg of morphine sulphate. I tolerated the Lyrica well. After surgery, however, my ankles began to swell again, and although I didn't have a problem with weight gain, I developed a bright red rash from ankles to knees. I dropped the dosage of Lyrica to 50 mg twice daily, and had no further side effects. The rash simply disappeared, with no damage to the skin. Following the surgery, I was able to titrate off morphine completely. I continue to take Lyrica twice daily. It doesn't seem to affect pain (I still ache a bit, as I have degenerative changes in all joints) but it does dampen peripheral neuropathy, which I experience both in my toes and balls of my feet. It also dampens the neuropathy in my forehead, where I had four surgeries to remove a malignant melanoma. I have had no side effects other than those mentioned, and find it interesting the I could tolerate a high dosage of Lyrica prior to surgery, but after surgery could not, and that adverse side effects varied not only with the dosage but with my own physical condition. I don't find it to be highly effective in treating neuropathy, but it does still the tingling enough to let me sleep and take my mind off the condition.
- Motor neuron and periphal neurophy
Took Lipitor for 5years ,3 years later have periphal neurophy plus motor neuron disease. Now totally incompasitated..
More reviews for: Lipitor, Weight gain
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and I had surgery on my intestine. 5 1/2 inches were taken removed from my rectum because of a polyp that was flat against the wall of my intestine. My joints and muscles are really sore and because I was given prednisone for years my bones are very bad. I get a shot of ...
- My mother has overactive bladder symptoms. She has tried oxybutin, vesicare and now myrbetriq. She had increased confusion with oxybutin and vesicare...so we stopped taking them. Now she has been taking myrbetriq for a week now and I am wondering if I am seeing increased confusion again even thou ...
- I stop pradaxa a week before having pain shot for lower back pain. I have no pain or weakness for about a week after going back on pradaxa. This has happended three times now. Can't say for sure the pradaxa is the cause or if that is the amount of time the pain shot last.
- Diagnosed with Gout about 5 weeks ago,Prescribed Indomethacin but little relief.Feelings of electrical shocks have now started.Researched and my symptoms seem to be more in line with Peripheral Neuropathy than Gout.Have found that Indomethacin contributes to P.N Pain.
- The lesions on face are like zits but not acne. They swell and pulsate and ooze throughout the day and have hard white or yellow waxy pits in them when popped. They respond to calamine lotion somewhat but have not gone away in 6 months, always occurring in the same place. From ear to ear under the j ...
More related studies for: Lipitor, Weight gain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.