Review: could Lithium carbonate cause Dry eyes?
Summary: Dry eyes is found among people who take Lithium carbonate, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Seroquel, and have Depression.
We study 14,813 people who have side effects while taking Lithium carbonate from FDA and social media. Among them, 15 have Dry eyes. Find out below who they are, when they have Dry eyes and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Lithium carbonate and have Dry eyes >>>
Lithium carbonate has active ingredients of lithium carbonate. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from 16,081 Lithium carbonate users)
Dry eyes (lack of adequate tears) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, acne, depression. (latest reports from 10,650 Dry eyes patients)
On Mar, 20, 2015: 14,813 people reported to have side effects when taking Lithium carbonate. Among them, 13 people (0.09%) have Dry Eyes.
Time on Lithium carbonate when people have Dry eyes * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Dry eyes||0.00%||0.00%||66.67%||33.33%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Dry eyes when taking Lithium carbonate * :
|Dry eyes||33.33%||66.67% |
Age of people who have Dry eyes when taking Lithium carbonate * :
|Dry eyes||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||15.38%||7.69%||7.69%||30.77%||38.46% |
Severity of Dry eyes when taking Lithium carbonate ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Dry eyes||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
How people recovered from Dry eyes ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Dry eyes||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (8 people, 61.54%)
- Bipolar i disorder (7 people, 53.85%)
- Bipolar disorder (5 people, 38.46%)
- Insomnia (4 people, 30.77%)
- Restless legs syndrome (3 people, 23.08%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (8 people, 61.54%)
- Lamictal (7 people, 53.85%)
- Lexotan (4 people, 30.77%)
- Abilify (4 people, 30.77%)
- Nitrazepam (4 people, 30.77%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of lithium carbonate and dry eyes on
Do you have Dry Eyes while taking Lithium Carbonate?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Lithium carbonate and have Dry Eyes
- support group for people who take Lithium carbonate
- support group for people who have Dry Eyes
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Lithium Carbonate for a 55-year old woman with Bipolar. The patient has Hand Tremor
- A study of drug interactions between Pravastatin Sodium, Nexium, Lexapro, Lamotrigine, Truvada, Isentress, Clonazepam for a 68-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Gerd, Depression, Bipolar 2, Hiv Infection Cdc Category A1, Sleep Phase Rhythm Disturbance. The patient has Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine, Dry Eyes
- A study of drug interactions between Clonazepam, Lithium Carbonate, Seroquel, Rozerem, Gabapentin, Buspirone Hydrochloride, Lamotrigine for a 45-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder, Insomnia. The patient has Anorgasmia
- A study of drug interactions between Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Lithium Carbonate for a 32-year old woman with Depression, Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Appetite Decreased, Weakness, Abdominal Pain Aggravated, Dizziness Aggravated, Nausea, Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine
- A study of drug interactions between Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Adderall 20, Lyrica for a 53-year old woman with Depression, Fatigue - Chronic, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Vertigo, Itching, Burning Sensation, Nasal Dryness, Bursitis, Chest Pain, Restless Legs Syndrome, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Weight Gain, Breathing-related Sleep Disorder, Sleep Apnoea Syndrome, Mouth Dry Aggravated, Eyes - Dry, Recurrent Leg Pain And Cramping, Weakness, Hands - Chapped And Dry, Glaucoma, Pain In Jaw, Headache, Pain - Eye, Vision Problems, Numbness In Hands Or Feet, Hair Loss, Pain Exacerbated
Recent Lithium carbonate related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.