Review: could Losartan cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Losartan, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Losartan potassium, and have High blood pressure.
We study 13,043 people who have side effects while taking Losartan from FDA and social media. Among them, 99 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Losartan and have Hair loss >>>
Losartan has active ingredients of losartan potassium. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from 14,130 Losartan users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,762 Hair loss patients)
On Apr, 12, 2015: 13,021 people reported to have side effects when taking Losartan. Among them, 99 people (0.76%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Losartan when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||0.00%||41.18%||0.00%||23.53%||23.53%||5.88%||5.88% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Losartan * :
|Hair loss||81.19%||18.81% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Losartan * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.14%||12.50%||23.86%||62.50% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Losartan ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||0.00%||60.00%||40.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (33 people, 33.33%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (14 people, 14.14%)
- Hypothyroidism (9 people, 9.09%)
- Acromegaly (7 people, 7.07%)
- High blood pressure (6 people, 6.06%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Losartan potassium (82 people, 82.83%)
- Aspirin (16 people, 16.16%)
- Furosemide (15 people, 15.15%)
- Amlodipine (12 people, 12.12%)
- Folic acid (11 people, 11.11%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
cora (2 years ago):
Disregard the posting from Cora information is incorrect.
Reply the comment
cora (2 years ago):
After taking Losartan Potassium for about 3 years, my doctor and I have determined this medication is the cause for my hair loss. What can we do to stop the hair loss?
Reply the comment
Lexi (3 years ago):
I have been on this drug since june 2012. I have enough hair loss to worry me and request a drug change. I am female in mid 40's.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of losartan and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Losartan?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Losartan and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Losartan
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Multivitamin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Losartan, Metoprolol Succinate, Synthroid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 72-year old woman with Supplement, Sjogren's Syndrome, Hypertension, Cardiac Flutter, Hypothyroidism, Ldl/hdl Ratio Increased. The patient has Laboratory Test Abnormal
- A study of side effects of Hydralazine Hydrochloride for a 56-year old man with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Amlodipine Besylate for a 66-year old woman with Hypertension. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Diazepam for a 32-year old woman with Stress And Anxiety. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Centrum, Biotin, Lexapro, Vitamin D, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Losartan for a 65-year old woman with Vitamin B2 Deficiency, Hair Growth Abnormal, Anxiety Disorder, Vitamin D Decreased, Blood Pressure Increased. The patient has Hair Loss, Night Sweats
Recent Losartan related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Losartan, Perindopril Erbumine for a 62-year old man who has Hypertension
- Comparions of Plavix, Lipitor, Losartan for a 70-year old man who has Health
- Comparions of Losartan Potassium, Captopril for a 65-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Diovan, Cozaar, Benicar, Avapro for a 62-year old woman who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.