Review: could Losartan cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Losartan, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Losartan potassium, and have High blood pressure.
We study 13,021 people who have side effects while taking Losartan from FDA and social media. Among them, 99 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Losartan and have Hair loss >>>
Losartan has active ingredients of losartan potassium. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from 14,103 Losartan users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,734 Hair loss patients)
On Mar, 13, 2015: 13,003 people reported to have side effects when taking Losartan. Among them, 99 people (0.76%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Losartan when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||0.00%||41.18%||0.00%||23.53%||23.53%||5.88%||5.88% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Losartan * :
|Hair loss||81.19%||18.81% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Losartan * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.14%||12.50%||23.86%||62.50% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Losartan ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||0.00%||60.00%||40.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (33 people, 33.33%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (14 people, 14.14%)
- Hypothyroidism (9 people, 9.09%)
- Acromegaly (7 people, 7.07%)
- High blood pressure (6 people, 6.06%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Losartan potassium (82 people, 82.83%)
- Aspirin (16 people, 16.16%)
- Furosemide (15 people, 15.15%)
- Amlodipine (12 people, 12.12%)
- Folic acid (11 people, 11.11%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
cora (2 years ago):
Disregard the posting from Cora information is incorrect.
Reply the comment
cora (2 years ago):
After taking Losartan Potassium for about 3 years, my doctor and I have determined this medication is the cause for my hair loss. What can we do to stop the hair loss?
Reply the comment
Lexi (3 years ago):
I have been on this drug since june 2012. I have enough hair loss to worry me and request a drug change. I am female in mid 40's.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of losartan and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Losartan?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Losartan and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Losartan
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of LARIAM for a 68-year old woman with Malaria. The patient has Asthenia (weakness), Scar Revision (when the skin is injured from a cut or tears the body heals by forming scar tissue), Loss Of Hair
- A study of drug interactions between Tamsulosin, Losartan Potassium, Hydralazine And Hydrochlorthiazide, Glimepiride, Chlorthalidone for a 80-year old man with Prostate Examination Abnormal, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes. The patient has Senile Dementia, Bad Breath
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Losartan Potassium, Simvastatin, Baclofen for a 51-year old woman with Vitamin D Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Muscle Spasms. The patient has Fear Of Eating, Uncontrollable Urination, Sudden Onset Of Sleep
- A study of drug interactions between Promethazine Hydrochloride And Codeine Phosphate, Pravachol, Protonix, Cozaar, Celexa, Coreg, Symbicort, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Albuterol Sulfate for a 71-year old woman with Cough, Hypercholesterolemia, Gerd, Cardiac Disorder, Depression, Dyspnea. The patient has Pancytopenia
- A study of side effects of Bupropion Hydrochloride for a 46-year old woman with Depression. The patient has Hair Loss
Recent Losartan related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.