Review: could Losartan cause Loss of smell (Smell - impaired)?
Summary: Loss of smell is found among people who take Losartan, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Losartan potassium, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 13,043 people who have side effects while taking Losartan from FDA and social media. Among them, 16 have Loss of smell. Find out below who they are, when they have Loss of smell and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Losartan and have Loss of smell >>>
Losartan has active ingredients of losartan potassium. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from 14,119 Losartan users)
Loss of smell
Loss of smell has been reported by people with nasopharyngitis, high blood pressure, sinusitis, nasal congestion, asthma. (latest reports from 6,771 Loss of smell patients)
On Apr, 2, 2015: 13,021 people reported to have side effects when taking Losartan. Among them, 16 people (0.12%) have Loss Of Smell.
Time on Losartan when people have Loss of smell * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Loss of smell||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Loss of smell when taking Losartan * :
|Loss of smell||61.54%||38.46% |
Age of people who have Loss of smell when taking Losartan * :
|Loss of smell||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||30.77%||30.77%||38.46% |
Severity of Loss of smell when taking Losartan ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Loss of smell||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from Loss of smell ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Loss of smell||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (4 people, 25.00%)
- Bronchitis (2 people, 12.50%)
- Tobacco user (2 people, 12.50%)
- High blood pressure (1 people, 6.25%)
- Blood triglycerides increased (1 people, 6.25%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Losartan potassium (15 people, 93.75%)
- Clavulanate potassium (4 people, 25.00%)
- Ubidecarenone (4 people, 25.00%)
- Metoprolol (4 people, 25.00%)
- Vytorin (4 people, 25.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of losartan and loss of smell on
Do you have Loss Of Smell while taking Losartan?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Losartan and have Loss Of Smell
- support group for people who take Losartan
- support group for people who have Loss Of Smell
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Phentermine, Lovastatin, Losartan for a 39-year old woman with Appetite - Decreased, Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure.
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Losartan, Zetia for a 54-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Muscle Stiffness, Stiffness In A Joint
- A study of drug interactions between Clonidine, Levothyroxine Sodium, Simvastatin, Losartan Potassium, Metoprolol Succinate, Furosemide, Prednisone, Neoral for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Thyroxine Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, Duretic, Anti Rejection, Suppress Immune System.
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Multivitamin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Losartan, Metoprolol Succinate, Synthroid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 72-year old woman with Supplement, Sjogren's Syndrome, Hypertension, Cardiac Flutter, Hypothyroidism, Ldl/hdl Ratio Increased. The patient has Laboratory Test Abnormal
- A study of drug interactions between Flonase, Zyrtec Allergy, Adderall 20 for a 55-year old man with Sinus Congestion, Allergy To Animal, Adhd. The patient has Loss Of Taste, Loss Of Smell
Recent Losartan related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Losartan, Perindopril Erbumine for a 62-year old man who has Hypertension
- Comparions of Plavix, Lipitor, Losartan for a 70-year old man who has Health
- Comparions of Losartan Potassium, Captopril for a 65-year old man who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Diovan, Cozaar, Benicar, Avapro for a 62-year old woman who has High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.