Review: could Melatonin cause Aggression?
Summary: Aggression is found among people who take Melatonin, especially for people who are male, 10-19 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Differin, and have Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
We study 2,199 people who have side effects while taking Melatonin from FDA and social media. Among them, 32 have Aggression. Find out below who they are, when they have Aggression and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Melatonin and have Aggression >>>
Melatonin has active ingredients of melatonin. It is often used in insomnia. (view latest outcomes from 2,658 users)
Aggression has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, stress and anxiety, pain.(latest reports from Aggression 28,616 patients)
On Nov, 24, 2014: 2,189 people reported to have side effects when taking Melatonin. Among them, 32 people (1.46%) have Aggression.
Time on Melatonin when people have Aggression * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Aggression when taking Melatonin * :
Age of people who have Aggression when taking Melatonin * :
Severity of Aggression when taking Melatonin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Aggression ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (8 people, 25.00%)
- Insomnia (7 people, 21.88%)
- Migraine (5 people, 15.62%)
- Headache (5 people, 15.62%)
- Schizophrenia (3 people, 9.38%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Differin (5 people, 15.62%)
- Zithromax (5 people, 15.62%)
- Tannic acid (5 people, 15.62%)
- Effexor xr (5 people, 15.62%)
- Sansert (5 people, 15.62%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Aggression while taking Melatonin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Melatonin and have Aggression
- support group for people who take Melatonin
- support group for people who have Aggression
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Melatonin, Aggression
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Massive aggression within first 4 days at 50mg (1 response)
am only taking 50mg and have only been taking it for 4 days(this is the evening of the 4th day)as a preventative for migraine headaches that I have suffered from from 16 years. I have had pins and needles in my hands and feet as well as spontaneous crying fits since day 2 and Major aggression since yesterday. With normally an insurmountable amount of patience with my 1 year old son, I outright yelled at him last night. This is unacceptable. I have never felt such quick and sudden rage over nothing before, well, over anything before.
- Aggression with law enforcement officers who use provigil
I'm a former police officer. I say former because on the second day of ever taking provigil, I flipped out and kicked a handcuffed arestee. After 10 years of being an award winning police officer I totally lost it after taking this drug. needless to say, I immediately quit taking the pill; however, my career is over. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? Do I have any rights?
- I need advise, badly ckd!! (1 response)
The orthostatic BP started in mid April, I was only dizzy upon wakening then it would subside. I have never been a big breakfast eater so I started doing that. We were in Disney later in April and I was extremely fatigued, to the point of not wanting to walk, Disney would be the first time I passed out when getting dizzy. I of course said I had gotten too warm and was exhausted from work the previous week. The dizziness continued in the mornings & I passed out several more times. On May 1st, I passed out while putting my make-up on and hit my eye on the faucet and head on the tile floor, despite that I went to work thinking it would subside, it didn't. I went to the ER directly after work. They ran a B-met on me and my GFR was 11 and creatinine 3.95. They admitted me to a larger hospital for evaluation. While in there, they pumped me with fluids continuously, saying I had severe dehydration. My kidney function improved, my creatinine levels went back down to 1.34. After 5 days I was discharged and told to see a cardiologist and endo. The endo doc cancelled my appointment on the basis it was not his area. I had had a cortisol and ACTH testing which I guess was normal. I saw the cardiologist, who said it wasn't cardio. I had had an echocardiogram in the hospital and EKG monitoring. Cardio sent me to neurology, the PNRN did a basic neurological exam and drew blood for disease markers such as Lupus, sjorgens, hepatitis, ect. All disease markers came back negative, but my GFR was at 11 again and creatinine was 4.25, BUN 50 along with an elevated ACE level. They called me and said I sarcoidosis. I really don't have any of the primary S/S of this autoimmune disease. I don't know where to go from here, they are referring me to another neurologist at a bigger hospital. I can't live my normal life, can't walk on my feet due extreme pain and I pass out at least 2x a week, which is not good for my old body. My BP upon laying and sitting runs like 117/72, upon standing it drops to like 70/50-50/30. I am on 0.1 mg of florinef, I tried increasing it but then my legs swelled up for a gain of 23#. I talked to Mayo Clinic today and all there specialists are booked out thru December. I have to be able to work, I can't stay home any longer than September 8th! Please advise me!
- Melatonin reduces essential tremor of the hand
After taking Melatonin 1mg as a sleep aid for several nights, I noticed that my essential tremor of the hand was showing improvement. Within a week the tremor was almost unnoticeable, and I could print and write neatly, even when slightly stressed at work. I haven't seen this response reported anywhere else; have other people noticed this effect?
- Melatonin and diarrhea
I have had difficulty sleeping most of my life. Difficulty going to sleep and waking up multiple times during the night were a usual pattern for me. Testing for sleep apnea did not show a positive result. A friend said to try Melatonin that for him it worked fine. I tried it and the diarrhea started almost immediately. Within days it was full blown water diarrhea. For fear of dehydration I stopped using Melatonin before two weeks time. And the hoped for results of helping my sleep problems were not solved with the Melatonin.
More reviews for: Melatonin, Aggression
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Our son is very high IQ and has ADHD. He had been on Adderal xr until recently. The psychiatrist said that that may be causing the tics. He has been off the Adderall for 3 days now and still is having this body spasms...it's very weird looking and he does not realize it's happening.
- After years of abusing the drugs listed for 20+ years and being on life support for 4 day my husband has emerged forever changed in my eyes. He is a rambler of words, Bipolar, never sleeps, uses adderal for his sleep disorder that does no good because he refuses to sleep and uses excuses of being ab ...
- I have been on lorazepam for about almost 8 months. I used it since march because of me losing sleep and having panic attacks in middle or during my sleep. I also used it for anxiety. I was once in er for having panic attacks and they gave me this and other medicines I was on was lexapro and that di ...
- Depression diagnosed first, and eventually identified as cyclothymia. Arthritis second. Hypothyroid and high cholesterol next. Headaches resolved with menopause, but have come back. Allergic reactions to unknown things about same time as headaches.
- I use Melatonin Pura for about more than two weeks and from the last two weeks I noticed that there are white hard tiny bumps on my forehead mostly. I have had only one on my cheek that is there for 4 years. And the others on my forehead and cheeks are new and they appear every day. I think it can b ...
More related studies for: Melatonin, Aggression
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.