Home > Melatonin > Alopecia > Melatonin and Alopecia
Review: could Melatonin cause Alopecia (Hair loss)?
Summary: Alopecia is found among people who take Melatonin, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Prilosec, and have Sleep disorder.
We study 2,189 people who have side effects while taking Melatonin from FDA and social media. Among them, 31 have Alopecia. Find out below who they are, when they have Alopecia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Melatonin and have Alopecia >>>
Melatonin (latest outcomes from 2,653 users) has active ingredients of melatonin. It is often used in insomnia.
Alopecia (absence of hair from areas of the body) (latest reports from 229,504 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression.
On Oct, 31, 2014: 2,189 people reported to have side effects when taking Melatonin. Among them, 31 people (1.42%) have Alopecia.
Time on Melatonin when people have Alopecia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Alopecia when taking Melatonin * :
Age of people who have Alopecia when taking Melatonin * :
Severity of Alopecia when taking Melatonin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Alopecia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Sleep disorder (9 people, 29.03%)
- Osteoporosis (7 people, 22.58%)
- Muscle spasms (7 people, 22.58%)
- Insomnia (4 people, 12.90%)
- Headache (3 people, 9.68%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prilosec (11 people, 35.48%)
- Multi-vitamin (8 people, 25.81%)
- Clonazepam (8 people, 25.81%)
- Metoprolol succinate (8 people, 25.81%)
- Spiriva (7 people, 22.58%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Alopecia while taking Melatonin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Melatonin and have Alopecia
- support group for people who take Melatonin
- support group for people who have Alopecia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- If you stop taking oxcarbazepine will your hair grow back?
(Asked by a 47 year old man who has Hair Loss, and takes Oxcarbazepine)
has been getting thinner on top and now there's a little bald spot it just seems like the last month and a half maybe that I've noticed that my hair has been getting thinner on top and now there's a little bald spot where its really thin and you can see the scalp and he increased my dosage by 600 mi ...
- What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking fluticasone propionate for altmost 1 year and 6 months, now i've stopped using it, but i lost hair in frontal region and i want to regrow it.
(Asked by a 21 year old man who has Hair Loss, and takes Fluticasone Propionate)
What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking Fluticasone propionate for altmost 1 year and 6 months, now I've stopped using it, but I lost hair in frontal region and I want to regrow it.
- What can i do to grow hair back. i've been taking xanax. i understand it has caused my hair loss. i once had very thick hair. now i'm almost bald. i'm stopping the xanax. now what??
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has Loss Of Hair, and takes Xanax)
How can I get my hair to grow back if I stop xanax
- Is a side effect of losartan hair loss?
(Asked by a 66 year old woman who has Hair Loss, and takes Metformin, Amlodipine Besylate, Multivitamin)
My doctor took me off Lisinopril due to the cough and put me on Losartan. After about 1 year I noticed hair breakage and hair loss. Can the hair damage be reverse by going back to Lisinopril?
- What medications cause hair loss
(Asked by a 54 year old woman who has Hair Loss, and takes Gabapentin, Lisinopril, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Ambien Cr, Multivitamin, Acebutolol Hydrochloride, Lorazepam, Omeprazole, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Remeron)
Been experiencing hair loss for several months and the loss has increased the last couple of months. My doctor ran thyroid test and it was normal. The loss has been gradual and it is not breaking off, but coming out at the root.
More questions for: Melatonin, Alopecia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Hair Loss, and takes Metformin Hydrochloride)
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this dru ...
- Double vision on levothyroxine
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Joint Stiffness, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Itching, Allergy To Food, Allergy To Chemicals, Fatigue - Chronic, Confusional State, Hair Loss, Double Vision, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Le ...
- I need advise, badly ckd!!
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has Constipation, Peripheral Neuropathy, Orthostatic Hypotension, Chronic Kidney Disease, and takes Milk Thistle, Zolpidem, Melatonin, Xanax, Adderall 30, Zorvolex)
The orthostatic BP started in mid April, I was only dizzy upon wakening then it would subside. I have never been a big breakfast eater so I started doing that. We were in Disney later in April and I was extremely fatigued, to the point of not wanting to walk, Disney would be the first time I passe ...
- Melatonin reduces essential tremor of the hand
(Posted by a 64 year old woman who has Essential Tremor, and takes Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Atenolol, Melatonin)
After taking Melatonin 1mg as a sleep aid for several nights, I noticed that my essential tremor of the hand was showing improvement. Within a week the tremor was almost unnoticeable, and I could print and write neatly, even when slightly stressed at work. I haven't seen this response reported any ...
- Melatonin and diarrhea
(Posted by a 73 year old man who has Sleep Disorder, and takes Melatonin)
I have had difficulty sleeping most of my life. Difficulty going to sleep and waking up multiple times during the night were a usual pattern for me. Testing for sleep apnea did not show a positive result. A friend said to try Melatonin that for him it worked fine. I tried it and the diarrhea st ...
More reviews for: Melatonin, Alopecia
More related studies for: Melatonin, Alopecia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Multiple Sclerosis and Aspergillosis
- Calcium Carbonate, Famotidine And Magnesium Hydroxide
- Feeding tube complications flomax
Has anyone on feeding tube taken Flomax. Any complication ... (11 hours ago)
- What side effects do you experience from sulpfasalazine?
Answer: My hair falls out too, but it was falling out before I was ... (16 hours ago)
- Feeling dizziness in the morning. is it due to glaucoma
Since 3 days I am feeling dizziness in the morning for abo ... (1 day ago)
Recent user reviews
- Urea urine increased while taking topamax
I was on Topamax to lose weight. It worked for me, I lost ... (1 day ago)
- Jaw pain with avastin
My sister is currently taking Avastin and after each treat ... (1 day ago)
- Lipitor weight loss/ lisinipril ed issue
Response: Do Not, I repeat Do Not take Lipitor!!! I was on 20mg for ... (2 days ago)
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Norvasc, Calcium Carbonate, Famotidine And Magnesium Hydroxide, Celexa, Clozapine, Lotrimin, Enalapril Maleate, Simvastatin, Lovenox, Albuterol, Lorazepam, Meropenem, Nystatin, Zofran, Oxytocin, Quetiapine Fumarate, Vancomycin Hydrochloride for a 68-year old man who has Hypertension, Unknown, Depression, Anxiety Disorder, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Bedridden, Lung Disorder, Oral Thrush, Pain, Psychosis, Pneumonia Streptococcal (23 minutes ago)
- Gabapentin for a 69-year old man who has Pain - Back (45 minutes ago)
- Lexapro for a 45-year old man who has Anxiety Disorder (1 hour ago)