Review: could Melatonin cause Irregular heartbeat (Heart palpitations)?
Summary: Irregular heartbeat is found among people who take Melatonin, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Neurontin, and have Insomnia.
We study 2,228 people who have side effects while taking Melatonin from FDA and social media. Among them, 27 have Irregular heartbeat. Find out below who they are, when they have Irregular heartbeat and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Melatonin and have Irregular heartbeat >>>
Melatonin has active ingredients of melatonin. It is often used in insomnia. (latest outcomes from 2,693 Melatonin users)
Irregular heartbeat (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, pain. (latest reports from 52,180 Irregular heartbeat patients)
On Mar, 28, 2015: 2,225 people reported to have side effects when taking Melatonin. Among them, 26 people (1.17%) have Irregular Heartbeat.
Time on Melatonin when people have Irregular heartbeat * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Irregular heartbeat||0.00%||60.00%||20.00%||0.00%||20.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Irregular heartbeat when taking Melatonin * :
|Irregular heartbeat||76.92%||23.08% |
Age of people who have Irregular heartbeat when taking Melatonin * :
|Irregular heartbeat||0.00%||4.00%||16.00%||4.00%||24.00%||12.00%||20.00%||20.00% |
Severity of Irregular heartbeat when taking Melatonin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Irregular heartbeat||14.29%||71.43%||14.29%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Irregular heartbeat ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Irregular heartbeat||20.00%||20.00%||60.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Insomnia (6 people, 23.08%)
- Pain (4 people, 15.38%)
- Multiple sclerosis (3 people, 11.54%)
- Depression (3 people, 11.54%)
- Asthma (3 people, 11.54%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Neurontin (5 people, 19.23%)
- Doxycycline (4 people, 15.38%)
- Lisinopril (4 people, 15.38%)
- Vitamin d (4 people, 15.38%)
- Fish oil (3 people, 11.54%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of melatonin and irregular heartbeat on
Do you have Irregular Heartbeat while taking Melatonin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Melatonin and have Irregular Heartbeat
- support group for people who take Melatonin
- support group for people who have Irregular Heartbeat
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Melatonin for a 67-year old man with Melasma. The patient has Rash Erythematous
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Pepcid Ac, Aspirin, Claritin-d 24 Hour, Calcium, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Metoprolol Succinate, Advair Diskus 100/50, Concerta, Imiquimod for a 53-year old man with Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Acid Reflux, General Physical Health Deterioration, Allergy, Constipation, High Blood Pressure, Asthma, Adhd, Plantar Warts. The patient has Blood Potassium Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Hydromorphone Hydrochloride, Bisacodyl, Piperine, Curcumin, Fish Oil, Ativan, Coreg, Prilosec Otc, Wellbutrin Xl, Oxycodone for a 39-year old woman with Chronic Pain, Constipation, Adjuvant For Curcumin, Depression, Inflammatory Pain, Anxiety Disorder, Atrial Tachycardia, Ulcer - Peptic, Breakthrough Pain. The patient has Tricuspid Regurgitation, Chronic Mitral Valve Regurgitation, Heart Murmurs, Ventricular Extrasystoles, Palpitations
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Keppra for a 19-year old boy with Sleep Disorder, Hyperactivity, Seizure - Grand Mal. The patient has Insomnia, Hyperactivity, Erythromelalgia
- A study of drug interactions between Toprol-xl, Melatonin for a 54-year old woman with Tachycardia, Insomnia. The patient has Loose Stools
Recent Melatonin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.