Review: could Mercaptopurine cause Hypoglycaemia (Hypoglycemia)?
Summary: Hypoglycaemia is found among people who take Mercaptopurine, especially for people who are male, 2-9 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Acute lymphocytic leukemia (all).
We study 5,723 people who have side effects while taking Mercaptopurine from FDA and social media. Among them, 19 have Hypoglycaemia. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypoglycaemia and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Mercaptopurine and have Hypoglycaemia >>>
Mercaptopurine has active ingredients of mercaptopurine. It is often used in crohn's disease. (latest outcomes from 5,825 Mercaptopurine users)
Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream) has been reported by people with diabetes, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, type 1 diabetes mellitus. (latest reports from 28,092 Hypoglycaemia patients)
On Apr, 25, 2015: 5,723 people reported to have side effects when taking Mercaptopurine. Among them, 19 people (0.33%) have Hypoglycaemia.
Time on Mercaptopurine when people have Hypoglycaemia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Hypoglycaemia when taking Mercaptopurine * :
Age of people who have Hypoglycaemia when taking Mercaptopurine * :
Severity of Hypoglycaemia when taking Mercaptopurine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Hypoglycaemia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Acute lymphocytic leukaemia (5 people, 26.32%)
- Crohn's disease (2 people, 10.53%)
- Colitis ulcerative (1 people, 5.26%)
- Pyoderma gangrenosum (1 people, 5.26%)
- Rectal lesion (1 people, 5.26%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (11 people, 57.89%)
- Vincristine (5 people, 26.32%)
- Prednisone (4 people, 21.05%)
- Vincristine sulfate (4 people, 21.05%)
- Dexamethasone (3 people, 15.79%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of mercaptopurine and hypoglycaemia on
Do you have Hypoglycaemia while taking Mercaptopurine?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Mercaptopurine and have Hypoglycaemia
- support group for people who take Mercaptopurine
- support group for people who have Hypoglycaemia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Probiotics, Ferrous Fumarate, Multivitamin, Amoxicillin And Clavulanate Potassium, Effexor Xr, Maxalt-mlt, Ibuprofen, Estrogel, Progesterone, Veramyst, Singulair, Spiriva, Aspirin, Atenolol, Ranolazine for a 53-year old woman with Vaginal Yeast Infection, Restless Leg Syndrome, General Physical Health Deterioration, Sinusitis Bacterial, Depression Postmenopausal, Migraine Without Aura, Headache, Menopause, Allergic Sinusitis, Asthma Late Onset, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Non-cardiac Chest Pain. The patient has Uti - Chronic Or Recurrent, Bacterial Rhinitis, Stress Incontinence, Tingling And Numbness, Hypoglycaemia
- A study of side effects of Prozac for a 35-year old woman with Depression. The patient has Hypoglycaemia
- A study of drug interactions between Pulmicort Flexhaler, Proair Hfa, Mirena for a 35-year old woman with Asthma, Birth Control. The patient has Nipple Pain, Insomnia, Thirst, Heart Pounding Or Racing, Confusion, Muscle Aches, Headache, Dizziness, Nosebleed, Hypoglycaemia
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Proair Hfa, Ginger Root, Simvastatin, Probiotic, Flomax, Humulin R, Atenolol, Rocephin, Doxycycline Hyclate for a 57-year old man with Hypertension, Chronic Bronchitis, Health, High Blood Cholesterol, General Physical Health Deterioration, Cancer - Prostate, Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Respiratory Tract Congestion, Infection - Ear. The patient has Low Blood Sugar
- A study of drug interactions between Lantus, Novolog, Strattera for a 7-year old boy with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity. The patient has Low Blood Sugar
Recent Mercaptopurine related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.