Home > Mercaptopurine > Hypoglycaemia > Mercaptopurine and Hypoglycaemia
Review: could Mercaptopurine cause Hypoglycaemia (Hypoglycemia)?
Summary: Hypoglycaemia is found among people who take Mercaptopurine, especially for people who are male, 2-9 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Methotrexate, and have Acute lymphocytic leukaemia.
We study 5,722 people who have side effects while taking Mercaptopurine from FDA and social media. Among them, 18 have Hypoglycaemia. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypoglycaemia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Mercaptopurine and have Hypoglycaemia >>>
Mercaptopurine (latest outcomes from 5,824 users) has active ingredients of mercaptopurine. It is often used in crohn's disease.
Hypoglycaemia (deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream) (latest reports from 28,062 patients) has been reported by people with diabetes, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, type 1 diabetes mellitus.
On Oct, 31, 2014: 5,722 people reported to have side effects when taking Mercaptopurine. Among them, 19 people (0.33%) have Hypoglycaemia.
Time on Mercaptopurine when people have Hypoglycaemia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Hypoglycaemia when taking Mercaptopurine * :
Age of people who have Hypoglycaemia when taking Mercaptopurine * :
Severity of Hypoglycaemia when taking Mercaptopurine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Hypoglycaemia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Acute lymphocytic leukaemia (5 people, 26.32%)
- Crohn's disease (2 people, 10.53%)
- Colitis ulcerative (1 people, 5.26%)
- Pyoderma gangrenosum (1 people, 5.26%)
- Rectal lesion (1 people, 5.26%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Methotrexate (11 people, 57.89%)
- Vincristine (5 people, 26.32%)
- Prednisone (4 people, 21.05%)
- Vincristine sulfate (4 people, 21.05%)
- Dexamethasone (3 people, 15.79%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hypoglycaemia while taking Mercaptopurine?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Mercaptopurine and have Hypoglycaemia
- support group for people who take Mercaptopurine
- support group for people who have Hypoglycaemia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can i connect by email with other patients that have hypoglycemia and stevens-johnson syndrome? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 52 year old woman who has Shingles Virus, Back Injury, MRSA Infection, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, Hypoglycemia, and takes Alcohol, Baclofen, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen)
I have had hypoglycemia since childhood, and I have managed it easily until just this weekend. I got S-J two years ago from Bactrim. As I have healed from S-J very slowly and painfully, I was exercising hard, and working hard and slipped a little on not eating enough protein. I started dropping into ...
- Hot flashes with palpitations and impending doom feelings (1 answer)
(Asked by a 60 year old woman who has Hot Flashes, Palpitations, Breathlessness, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Impending Doom Feelings, Low Blood Sugar, Anxiety, and takes Thiamine (vitamin B1))
I have suffered from chemotherapy premature menopause for 10 years causing hot flashes with severe palpitations, panic, muscle weakness and fatigue; also come after anaerobic exercise with breathlessness. Any physical stress and anxiety will provoke them. I also get low blood sugar.
I'm looking int ...
- Remicade or ulcerative colitis causing joint pain?
(Asked by a 35 year old woman who has Ulcerative Colitis, and takes Remicade, Mesalamine, Purinethol)
Im also on mesalamine, 6 mp and trazadone. Ive had joint pain in elbow before but i realised it was caused by taking cortenema. I stoped the med and pain went away. After my first infusion of remicade (2days) i started with the knee, ankle, elbows , wrists and hands pain. The more i do. The worst ...
- What studies have been done for the hypoglycemia/lipoma connection because i have both
(Asked by a 57 year old woman who has Lipomas, Hypoglycemia, Bad Protein Assimilation, Overweight, Degenerative Discs, Arthritis In Both Hips)
I have hypoglycemia (not diabetes related) that I was told is caused by faulty protein digestion. I also have numerous lipomas in my thighs. I also have degenerative discs in my back as well as hip arthritis. I would like to know how to deal with these problems. The hypoglycemia, which causes me sh ...
- My doctor has me on both mercaptopurine and cimzia. is this dangerous? do i need to take both for colitis and crohn's disease
(Asked by a 74 year old man who has Colitis, Crohn's, and takes Mercaptopurine, Cimzia)
is this dangerous to take both drugs for colitis crohn's diseaase
More questions for: Mercaptopurine, Hypoglycaemia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Allopurinol for 6-mp metabolism to 6-tgn
(Posted by a 30 year old woman who has Crohn's Disease, and takes Allopurinol, Purinethol)
I began taking Allopurinol 100mg to help metabolize the Purinethol I have been taking for 6 years for Crohn's disease after a blood test revealed my 6-MMP metabolites were too high and 6-TG were too low. Several published studies show Allopurinol to be helpful for "non-preferential metabolizers" lik ...
More reviews for: Mercaptopurine, Hypoglycaemia
- A study of side effects of Omeprazole for a patient with Acid Reflux. The patient has Low Blood Sugar (low blood sugar cause seizures)
Comments: This could be a coincidence, but after stopping 20mg/day Omeprazole just over a week ago, I've been experiencing feeling of low blood sugar starting within a few days, but I didn't make a connection between the two issues.
Although I wake up feeling fine, low blood sugar symptoms happen not long ...
- A study of side effects of Atenolol for a patient with Hypoglycemia. The patient has Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar cause seizures)
Comments: Currently hospitalized 27 year old taking Atenolol for BP at least 6 months. Blood sugars rise with glucose injections IM or IV for about 1 hour and then drop in the 40's and 50's continually. Start of decline is profuse sweating, feels dizzy, and general feeling bad
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Acetaminophen, Zyrtec, Klonopin, Celexa, Fluticasone Propionate for a patient with Deficiency Anaemia, Headache, Allergies, Panic Attacks, Allergic Sinusitis. The patient has Headache, Low Blood Sugar
Comments: I was prescribed Fluticasone Propionate for really bad Allergic Sinusitis however it gave me a real bad headache and it also effected my sugar level dropping it to 71 and I became very thirsty and disoriented and I had a small glass of orange juice to bring the sugar back up I'm a healthy 30 year ol ...
- A study of side effects of Remicade for a patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Low Blood Sugar (low blood sugar cause seizures)
Comments: I had my Remicade infusion (it also includes a corticosteroid - not sure of the name) on Tuesday. Same dosage as normal. Previous reaction to infusion 4 mos prior due to Benadryl, which was removed from the infusion thereafter. Doc prescribed 3000 unit Vitamin D.
On Tuesday, I ate normally. At abo ...
- A study of drug interactions between Ampicillin Sodium, Humalog for a patient with Urinary Tract Infection, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent. The patient has Hypoglycaemia
Comments: Blood glucose levels seem to be super low. I am on an insulin pump. My blood sugars have run so low while taking this drug that I have to be very careful in taking a bolus insulin dose with my meals. Most often if I do take my regular insulin-to-carb ratio my sugars will drop. Even if my blood sugar ...
More related studies for: Mercaptopurine, Hypoglycaemia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.