Review: could Metformin hydrochloride cause Muscle atrophy?
Summary: Muscle atrophy is found among people who take Metformin hydrochloride, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Simvastatin, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 12,773 people who have side effects while taking Metformin hydrochloride from FDA and social media. Among them, 8 have Muscle atrophy. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle atrophy and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride and have Muscle atrophy >>>
Metformin hydrochloride has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 14,614 Metformin hydrochloride users)
Muscle atrophy (a decrease in the mass of the muscle) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 5,641 Muscle atrophy patients)
On Mar, 5, 2015: 12,773 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin hydrochloride. Among them, 8 people (0.06%) have Muscle Atrophy.
Time on Metformin hydrochloride when people have Muscle atrophy * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Muscle atrophy when taking Metformin hydrochloride * :
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||100.00% |
Age of people who have Muscle atrophy when taking Metformin hydrochloride * :
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Severity of Muscle atrophy when taking Metformin hydrochloride ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle atrophy ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypercholesterolaemia (3 people, 37.50%)
- Myocardial infarction (2 people, 25.00%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (2 people, 25.00%)
- Bph (1 people, 12.50%)
- Neuropathy (1 people, 12.50%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Simvastatin (4 people, 50.00%)
- Ramipril (3 people, 37.50%)
- Furosemide (1 people, 12.50%)
- Metolazone (1 people, 12.50%)
- All other therapeutic products (1 people, 12.50%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin hydrochloride and muscle atrophy on
Do you have Muscle Atrophy while taking Metformin Hydrochloride?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride and have Muscle Atrophy
- support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride
- support group for people who have Muscle Atrophy
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 25-year old woman with PCOS. The patient has Scar - Hypertrophic
- A study of drug interactions between Loratadine, Lansoprazole, Pulmicort, Metformin, Aspirin, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Irbesartan, Januvia for a 51-year old woman with Hay Fever, Ulcer - Duodenal Or Gastric, Asthma, Diabetes Mellitus, Abnormal Clotting Factor, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control. The patient has Elevated Liver Enzymes
- A study of drug interactions between Candesartan Cilexetil And Hydrochlorothiazide, Metoprolol Tartrate, Levothyroxine Sodium, Metformin, Simvastatin for a 68-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism, High Blood Sugar, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Urinary Incontinence, Urinary Tract Infection Enterococcal
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 58-year old woman with Diabetic Coma. The patient has Loser Tan 50-12.5
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Flonase, Singulair, Protonix, Synthroid, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide for a 61-year old woman with Diabetes, Allergic Sinusitis, Acid Reflux, Hypothyroidism, High Blood Pressure. The patient has White Blood Cells Urine
Recent Metformin hydrochloride related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Moexipril Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman who has Interactions
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Metformin Hydrochloride for a 40-year old woman who has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.