Review: could Metformin hydrochloride cause Potassium - low (Hypokalemia)?
Summary: Potassium - low is found among people who take Metformin hydrochloride, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Zometa, and have Diabetes.
We study 12,773 people who have side effects while taking Metformin hydrochloride from FDA and social media. Among them, 92 have Potassium - low. Find out below who they are, when they have Potassium - low and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride and have Potassium - low >>>
Metformin hydrochloride has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 14,614 Metformin hydrochloride users)
Potassium - low
Potassium - low (low potassium) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain, depression, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 24,885 Potassium - low patients)
On Apr, 28, 2015: 12,773 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin hydrochloride. Among them, 92 people (0.72%) have Potassium - Low.
Time on Metformin hydrochloride when people have Potassium - low * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Potassium - low||13.33%||20.00%||6.67%||0.00%||26.67%||13.33%||20.00% |
Gender of people who have Potassium - low when taking Metformin hydrochloride * :
|Potassium - low||67.03%||32.97% |
Age of people who have Potassium - low when taking Metformin hydrochloride * :
|Potassium - low||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||10.14%||23.19%||18.84%||47.83% |
Severity of Potassium - low when taking Metformin hydrochloride ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Potassium - low||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Potassium - low ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Potassium - low||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (20 people, 21.74%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (17 people, 18.48%)
- Metastatic neoplasm (13 people, 14.13%)
- Breast cancer metastatic (11 people, 11.96%)
- Hypersensitivity (10 people, 10.87%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (33 people, 35.87%)
- Oxycontin (27 people, 29.35%)
- Aspirin (27 people, 29.35%)
- Ambien (22 people, 23.91%)
- Lantus (20 people, 21.74%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Metformin hydrochloride and potassium - low on
Do you have Potassium - Low while taking Metformin Hydrochloride?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride and have Potassium - Low
- support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride
- support group for people who have Potassium - Low
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Pioglitazone Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 67-year old man with Blood Pressure, Diabetes. The patient has Copd, Diabetes
- A study of drug interactions between Norvasc, Maxide, Metformin Hydrochloride for a 63-year old woman with Hypertension, Blood Pressure Increased, Type 2 Diabetes. The patient has Blood Pressure Increased
- A study of drug interactions between L - Carnitine, Glucophage for a 22-year old woman with Weight Loss, Insuline Intolerance.
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 56-year old man with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. The patient has Sudden Hearing Loss
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 57-year old man with Diabetes. The patient has Diabetes
Recent Metformin hydrochloride related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Synthroid, Metformin for a 61-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.