Review: could Metformin hydrochloride cause Potassium - low (Hypokalemia)?
Summary: Potassium - low is found among people who take Metformin hydrochloride, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Zometa, and have Diabetes.
We study 12,771 people who have side effects while taking Metformin hydrochloride from FDA and social media. Among them, 92 have Potassium - low. Find out below who they are, when they have Potassium - low and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride and have Potassium - low >>>
Metformin hydrochloride has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 14,612 Metformin hydrochloride users)
Potassium - low
Potassium - low (low potassium) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain, depression, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 24,856 Potassium - low patients)
On Feb, 25, 2015: 12,771 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin hydrochloride. Among them, 92 people (0.72%) have Potassium - Low.
Time on Metformin hydrochloride when people have Potassium - low * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Potassium - low||13.33%||20.00%||6.67%||0.00%||26.67%||13.33%||20.00% |
Gender of people who have Potassium - low when taking Metformin hydrochloride * :
|Potassium - low||67.03%||32.97% |
Age of people who have Potassium - low when taking Metformin hydrochloride * :
|Potassium - low||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||10.14%||23.19%||18.84%||47.83% |
Severity of Potassium - low when taking Metformin hydrochloride ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Potassium - low||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Potassium - low ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Potassium - low||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (20 people, 21.74%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (17 people, 18.48%)
- Metastatic neoplasm (13 people, 14.13%)
- Breast cancer metastatic (11 people, 11.96%)
- Hypersensitivity (10 people, 10.87%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (33 people, 35.87%)
- Oxycontin (27 people, 29.35%)
- Aspirin (27 people, 29.35%)
- Ambien (22 people, 23.91%)
- Lantus (20 people, 21.74%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin hydrochloride and potassium - low on
Do you have Potassium - Low while taking Metformin Hydrochloride?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride and have Potassium - Low
- support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride
- support group for people who have Potassium - low
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Gabapentin, Glipizide, Metformin, Nexium, Tramadol for a 53-year old woman with Leg Pain, Hyperglycemia, Gerd, Pain - Back. The patient has Rash
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Metformin, Klonopin, Lamictal, Prozac, Abilify for a 41-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar I Disorder, Depression. The patient has Pain - Muscles, Joint Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Victoza for a 51-year old man with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. The patient has Blurred Vision
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Lexapro, Lamictal, Prilosec, Simvastatin, Niaspan, Levoxyl, Actos, Januvia, Metformin Hydrochloride for a 64-year old man with Abdominal Pain Lower, Anxiety Disorder, Mood Disorder, Gerd, Hypercholesterolemia, High Trigylycerides, Hypothyroidism - Primary, Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Diabetes. The patient has Low Platelet Count
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 68-year old man with Diabetes. The patient has Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension
Recent Metformin hydrochloride related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Actos, Metformin, Onglyza for a 24-year old man who has Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Klonopin, Celexa, Clozapine for a 55-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Glipizide for a 44-year old man who has Type 2 Diabetes
- Comparions of Lexapro, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lisinopril, Metformin, Garcinia Cambogia for a 60-year old woman who has Tramadol
- Comparions of Metformin, Propranolol Hydrochloride for a 56-year old man who has Hypertension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.