Review: could Metformin hydrochloride cause Tinnitus?
Summary: Tinnitus is found among people who take Metformin hydrochloride, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Diabetes.
We study 12,773 people who have side effects while taking Metformin hydrochloride from FDA and social media. Among them, 30 have Tinnitus. Find out below who they are, when they have Tinnitus and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride and have Tinnitus >>>
Metformin hydrochloride has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 14,614 Metformin hydrochloride users)
Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 20,240 Tinnitus patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 12,773 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin hydrochloride. Among them, 33 people (0.26%) have Tinnitus.
Time on Metformin hydrochloride when people have Tinnitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Tinnitus when taking Metformin hydrochloride * :
Age of people who have Tinnitus when taking Metformin hydrochloride * :
Severity of Tinnitus when taking Metformin hydrochloride ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Tinnitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (13 people, 39.39%)
- Hypertension (10 people, 30.30%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (5 people, 15.15%)
- Diabetes mellitus non-insulin-dependent (5 people, 15.15%)
- Hyperchlorhydria (3 people, 9.09%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (9 people, 27.27%)
- Lexapro (6 people, 18.18%)
- Actos (5 people, 15.15%)
- Digoxin (5 people, 15.15%)
- Coreg (5 people, 15.15%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Metformin hydrochloride and tinnitus on
Do you have Tinnitus while taking Metformin Hydrochloride?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride and have Tinnitus
- support group for people who take Metformin hydrochloride
- support group for people who have Tinnitus
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Tamiflu, Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide, Nitrostat, Ondansetron, Oxycodone, Actemra, Nasonex, Spiriva, Victoza, Arava, Diovan Hct, Lipitor, Ranexa, Lantus Solostar, Wellbutrin Xl, Tricor, Carvedilol, Plavix, Xarelto for a 71-year old woman with Influenza B, Copd, Angina, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rhinitis, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control, Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Stop Smoking, Blood Clots. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Neuropathy, Tinnitus, Loss Of Coordination, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Loss, Appetite - Decreased, Diarrhea, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 57-year old woman with Cough. The patient has Cough Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Bisoprolol Fumarate, Cephalexin, Gliclazide, Glucophage for a 61-year old man with Cardiac Disorder, Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Eosinophilia
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 60-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes. The patient has Heart Rate Irregular
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Onglyza, Crestor, Farxiga for a 64-year old man with Diabetes, Lower Cholesterol. The patient has Swelling, Pain In Jaw, Nasal Congestion
Recent Metformin hydrochloride related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Metformin, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar for a 50-year old woman who has Diabetes
- Comparions of Actos, Metformin, Onglyza for a 24-year old man who has Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Klonopin, Celexa, Clozapine for a 55-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Glipizide for a 44-year old man who has Type 2 Diabetes
- Comparions of Lexapro, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lisinopril, Metformin, Garcinia Cambogia for a 60-year old woman who has Tramadol
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.