Review: could Metformin cause Acid reflux (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)?
Summary: Acid reflux is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Type 2 diabetes mellitus.
We study 97,386 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 142 have Acid reflux. Find out below who they are, when they have Acid reflux and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metformin and have Acid reflux >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 100,917 users)
Acid reflux (stomach acids rise up) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, pain, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Acid reflux 10,551 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 97,351 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 142 people (0.15%) have Acid Reflux.
Time on Metformin when people have Acid reflux * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Acid reflux||9.38%||28.12%||15.62%||3.12%||18.75%||21.88%||3.12% |
Gender of people who have Acid reflux when taking Metformin * :
|Acid reflux||65.49%||34.51% |
Age of people who have Acid reflux when taking Metformin * :
|Acid reflux||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||4.44%||4.44%||18.52%||29.63%||42.96% |
Severity of Acid reflux when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Acid reflux||3.70%||51.85%||40.74%||3.70% |
How people recovered from Acid reflux ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Acid reflux||6.67%||26.67%||66.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (36 people, 25.35%)
- Hypertension (19 people, 13.38%)
- Depression (17 people, 11.97%)
- Diabetes mellitus non-insulin-dependent (13 people, 9.15%)
- Diabetes mellitus (13 people, 9.15%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (75 people, 52.82%)
- Aspirin (34 people, 23.94%)
- Byetta (33 people, 23.24%)
- Metformin hydrochloride (29 people, 20.42%)
- Lisinopril (23 people, 16.20%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Acid Reflux while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Acid Reflux
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Acid Reflux
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Metformin, Acid reflux
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this drug should post that this is a side effect as so many have been complaining of the same side effect. I also began having problems with my teeth and always prided myself of having great teeth with no problems. I also understand that if there is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 that this together with taking this drug can cause these issues of hair loss and mouth/teeth problems. Again; I feel this should be totally and more readily informed to anyone taking this drug. I don't feel that anyone should have to give up things important to them to maintain a healthy way of living...I am going to see my physician and discuss what other options that may exist as I am not feeling very comfortable with this drug and the side effects I am experiencing.
- Loss of voice and stomach issues
Prescribed to take 2 - 300 mg tablets of Clindamycin prior to dental procedure to to knee implant done a month and half before dental procedure. Took two pills one hour prior and immediate severe burning of throat, esophagous and stomach with constant nausea. Still have symptons - ie loss of voice, low grade nausea. have had multitude of tests - ie. EGD's, monometry, transesophageal (with transmitter to determine extent of now reflux) Have to eat small amounts of food at a time. Have lost 23 lbs. Affects my every day life - difficult to talk on phone, talking in groups - just limit my socialization. Could not work if I wanted to with voice. Throat is constantly sore.
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreatic cancer are similar, is there a link between Victoza and cholangiocarcinoma?
- Nexium improves my constipation
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
More reviews for: Metformin, Acid reflux
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I stop pradaxa a week before having pain shot for lower back pain. I have no pain or weakness for about a week after going back on pradaxa. This has happended three times now. Can't say for sure the pradaxa is the cause or if that is the amount of time the pain shot last.
- I had some hair thinning over the past 10+ years and was told it was due to HBP and medications. Since taking phentermine and topiramate for weight loss along with the other meds hair loss has tripled at a radical rate. I stopped taking topiramate about a month ago and still the hair keeps falling ...
- I've taken oxybutynin for 20+ years. Some 10 years ago my stomach seemingly stopped being able to digest food well. Symptoms include acid reflux/GERD, belching, abdominal bloating, increased spasms, and severely decreased sleep. UCSF, Stanford, and gastroenterologists have not been able to diagnose ...
- I have been experiencing reoccurring UTI's and now have symptoms of acid reflux. I started taking Savella about 2 years ago. So I am trying to determine if these symptoms could be being caused by the medications.
- Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
More related studies for: Metformin, Acid reflux
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.