Review: could Metformin cause Acid reflux (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)?
Summary: Acid reflux is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Type 2 diabetes.
We study 97,507 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 143 have Acid reflux. Find out below who they are, when they have Acid reflux and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Acid reflux >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,041 Metformin users)
Acid reflux (stomach acids rise up) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 19,300 Acid reflux patients)
On Mar, 28, 2015: 97,488 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 143 people (0.15%) have Acid Reflux.
Time on Metformin when people have Acid reflux * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Acid reflux||9.09%||27.27%||15.15%||3.03%||21.21%||21.21%||3.03% |
Gender of people who have Acid reflux when taking Metformin * :
|Acid reflux||65.73%||34.27% |
Age of people who have Acid reflux when taking Metformin * :
|Acid reflux||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||4.41%||4.41%||18.38%||29.41%||43.38% |
Severity of Acid reflux when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Acid reflux||3.57%||50.00%||42.86%||3.57% |
How people recovered from Acid reflux ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Acid reflux||6.25%||25.00%||68.75% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (36 people, 25.17%)
- Hypertension (19 people, 13.29%)
- Depression (17 people, 11.89%)
- Diabetes mellitus non-insulin-dependent (14 people, 9.79%)
- Diabetes mellitus (13 people, 9.09%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (75 people, 52.45%)
- Aspirin (34 people, 23.78%)
- Byetta (33 people, 23.08%)
- Metformin hydrochloride (29 people, 20.28%)
- Lisinopril (23 people, 16.08%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and acid reflux on
Do you have Acid Reflux while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Acid Reflux
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Acid Reflux
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Levonorgestrel And Ethinyl Estradiol, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 37-year old woman with Contraception, Depression. The patient has Asthma, Gerd, Cough
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Losartan, Zetia for a 54-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Muscle Stiffness, Stiffness In A Joint
- A study of drug interactions between Meloxicam, Chlorthalidone, Spiriva, Symbicort, Lyrica, Omeprazole, Wellbutrin Xl, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar, Metformin, Requip for a 37-year old man with Information, Water Pill, Copd, Tingling And Numbness, Acid Refluc, Anxeity, Diabetic, Restless Legs.
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metformin for a 63-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes. The patient has Blood Urine
- A study of drug interactions between Norvasc, Multivitamin, Horse Chestnut, Omega 3, Saw Palmetto, Metformin, Aspirin, Atenolol, Glimepiride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Fosinopril Sodium for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Deficiency, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Ischaemic Heart Disease. The patient has Peripheral Artery Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Moexipril Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman who has Interactions
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.