Review: could Metformin cause Asthma?
Summary: Asthma is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Asthma.
We study 97,507 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 532 have Asthma. Find out below who they are, when they have Asthma and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Asthma >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in type 2 diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,036 Metformin users)
Asthma has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 84,471 Asthma patients)
On Apr, 1, 2015: 97,488 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 553 people (0.57%) have Asthma.
Time on Metformin when people have Asthma * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Asthma when taking Metformin * :
Age of people who have Asthma when taking Metformin * :
Severity of Asthma when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Asthma ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Asthma (136 people, 24.59%)
- Diabetes mellitus (112 people, 20.25%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (56 people, 10.13%)
- Hypertension (52 people, 9.40%)
- Depression (37 people, 6.69%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (373 people, 67.45%)
- Aspirin (157 people, 28.39%)
- Albuterol (105 people, 18.99%)
- Lisinopril (101 people, 18.26%)
- Singulair (93 people, 16.82%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and asthma on
Do you have Asthma while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Asthma
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Asthma
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Ventolin, Montelukast Sodium, Prednisolone, Cetirizine Hydrochloride Allergy, Losartan Potassium, Folic Acid, Fluticasone Propionate, Sertraline for a 54-year old woman with Asthma, Asthma Aggravated, High Blood Pressure, Blood Iron Abnormal, Depression. The patient has Asthma Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Xanax for a 61-year old woman with Diabetic Foot, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Brittle Nails
- A study of drug interactions between Levonorgestrel And Ethinyl Estradiol, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 37-year old woman with Contraception, Depression. The patient has Asthma, Gerd, Cough
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Losartan, Zetia for a 54-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Muscle Stiffness, Stiffness In A Joint
- A study of drug interactions between Meloxicam, Chlorthalidone, Spiriva, Symbicort, Lyrica, Omeprazole, Wellbutrin Xl, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar, Metformin, Requip for a 37-year old man with Information, Water Pill, Copd, Tingling And Numbness, Acid Refluc, Anxeity, Diabetic, Restless Legs.
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Moexipril Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman who has Interactions
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.