Review: could Metformin cause Back pain?
Summary: Back pain is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes.
We study 97,488 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,852 have Back pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Back pain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Back pain >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,018 Metformin users)
Back pain has been reported by people with osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, pain, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis. (latest reports from 107,077 Back pain patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 97,488 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 1,852 people (1.90%) have Back Pain.
Time on Metformin when people have Back pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Back pain||23.44%||31.25%||7.81%||9.38%||9.38%||12.50%||6.25% |
Gender of people who have Back pain when taking Metformin * :
|Back pain||59.22%||40.78% |
Age of people who have Back pain when taking Metformin * :
|Back pain||0.00%||0.06%||1.02%||1.28%||6.14%||15.15%||26.15%||50.19% |
Severity of Back pain when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Back pain||0.00%||31.25%||62.50%||6.25% |
How people recovered from Back pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Back pain||22.22%||0.00%||77.78% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (436 people, 23.54%)
- Hypertension (324 people, 17.49%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (193 people, 10.42%)
- Pain (152 people, 8.21%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (118 people, 6.37%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (1,219 people, 65.82%)
- Aspirin (461 people, 24.89%)
- Lisinopril (286 people, 15.44%)
- Lipitor (233 people, 12.58%)
- Simvastatin (231 people, 12.47%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and back pain on
Do you have Back Pain while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Back Pain
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Back Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Metformin, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar for a 50-year old woman who has Diabetes
- Comparions of Actos, Metformin, Onglyza for a 24-year old man who has Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Klonopin, Celexa, Clozapine for a 55-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Glipizide for a 44-year old man who has Type 2 Diabetes
- Comparions of Lexapro, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lisinopril, Metformin, Garcinia Cambogia for a 60-year old woman who has Tramadol
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.