Review: could Metformin cause Bladder cancer?
Summary: Bladder cancer is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes.
We study 97,488 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 230 have Bladder cancer. Find out below who they are, when they have Bladder cancer and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Bladder cancer >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,018 Metformin users)
Bladder cancer has been reported by people with type 2 diabetes, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 6,590 Bladder cancer patients)
On Mar, 14, 2015: 97,464 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 230 people (0.24%) have Bladder Cancer.
Time on Metformin when people have Bladder cancer * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Bladder cancer||0.00%||21.74%||0.00%||26.09%||4.35%||47.83%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Bladder cancer when taking Metformin * :
|Bladder cancer||19.47%||80.53% |
Age of people who have Bladder cancer when taking Metformin * :
|Bladder cancer||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||10.37%||89.63% |
Severity of Bladder cancer when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Bladder cancer||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Bladder cancer ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Bladder cancer||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (87 people, 37.83%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (85 people, 36.96%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (26 people, 11.30%)
- Erectile dysfunction (26 people, 11.30%)
- Hyperlipidaemia (25 people, 10.87%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (155 people, 67.39%)
- Actos (142 people, 61.74%)
- Aspirin (79 people, 34.35%)
- Furosemide (50 people, 21.74%)
- Metformin hydrochloride (41 people, 17.83%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and bladder cancer on
Do you have Bladder Cancer while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Bladder Cancer
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Bladder Cancer
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Bisoprolol Fumarate, Cephalexin, Gliclazide, Glucophage for a 61-year old man with Cardiac Disorder, Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Eosinophilia
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 60-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes. The patient has Heart Rate Irregular
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Onglyza, Crestor, Farxiga for a 64-year old man with Diabetes, Lower Cholesterol. The patient has Swelling, Pain In Jaw, Nasal Congestion
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide, Synthroid, Cymbalta, Glumetza for a 60-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Thyroid Cancer - Papillary Carcinoma, Pain - Back, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. The patient has Insomnia, Hip Pain, Back Pain
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 52-year old woman with Diabetes. The patient has Uterine Fibroids (benign growths of the muscle inside the uterus)
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Actos, Metformin, Onglyza for a 24-year old man who has Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Klonopin, Celexa, Clozapine for a 55-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Glipizide for a 44-year old man who has Type 2 Diabetes
- Comparions of Lexapro, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lisinopril, Metformin, Garcinia Cambogia for a 60-year old woman who has Tramadol
- Comparions of Metformin, Propranolol Hydrochloride for a 56-year old man who has Hypertension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.