Review: could Metformin cause Blood pressure increased (High blood pressure)?
Summary: Blood pressure increased is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes mellitus.
We study 97,386 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 3,321 have Blood pressure increased. Find out below who they are, when they have Blood pressure increased and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metformin and have Blood pressure increased >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 100,917 users)
Blood pressure increased
Blood pressure increased has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, depression, multiple sclerosis, pain.(latest reports from Blood pressure increased 305,782 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 97,351 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 3,321 people (3.41%) have Blood Pressure Increased.
Time on Metformin when people have Blood pressure increased * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Blood pressure increased||21.71%||17.11%||13.16%||8.55%||20.39%||13.16%||5.92% |
Gender of people who have Blood pressure increased when taking Metformin * :
|Blood pressure increased||61.26%||38.74% |
Age of people who have Blood pressure increased when taking Metformin * :
|Blood pressure increased||0.03%||0.03%||0.41%||1.20%||5.84%||13.76%||27.36%||51.37% |
Severity of Blood pressure increased when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Blood pressure increased||0.00%||77.78%||22.22%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Blood pressure increased ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Blood pressure increased||5.26%||42.11%||52.63% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (807 people, 24.30%)
- Hypertension (749 people, 22.55%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (421 people, 12.68%)
- Depression (221 people, 6.65%)
- Pain (155 people, 4.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (2,164 people, 65.16%)
- Aspirin (826 people, 24.87%)
- Lisinopril (640 people, 19.27%)
- Simvastatin (462 people, 13.91%)
- Metformin hydrochloride (394 people, 11.86%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Blood Pressure Increased while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Blood Pressure Increased
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Blood Pressure Increased
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I took flonase and meloxicam and my blood pressure is up. normal?
(Asked by a 67 year old man who has High Blood Pressure)
I took my blood pressure medicine but my blood pressure is higher than normal I took Flonase and Meloxicam. Is that normal and if I've left pressure is still high should I take another blood pressure pill?
- Plendil and pad interaction with arteries
(Asked by a 61 year old man who has High Blood Pressure, PAD, and takes Lisinopril, Plendil)
I'm currently taking 10 MG of Plendil with 20MG of Lisinopril. I've developed PAD a couple of years ago. I used to take 40MG of Lisinopril but since retiring my blood pressure had calmed down. My doctor reduced my Lisinopril to 20MG and kept the Plendil at 10MG. I was wondering is I should go back to the 40MG Lisinopril and discontinue the Plendil. I'm confused about the effects that Plendil has on my arteries. Does Plendil dialate the arteries ? If so, then wouldn't it be better that I stop the Plendil to reduce the pain of my PAD ?
- Can i take a cold medicing while taking metoprolol succinate er 25mg (2 answers)
(Asked by a 66 year old man who has High Blood Pressure, and takes Metoprolol Succinate)
Just want to know if can I take a cold medicine while Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg
- Alprazolam & amoxicillin
(Asked by a 72 year old man who has Enlarged Prostate, High Blood Pressure, Diverticulitis, and takes Meclizine, Clonidine, Norvasc, Flomax, Avodart)
Have Diverticulitis from having Diverticulosis. Have had high blood pressure for
about 4 years and it is controlled with the Norvasc & Clonidine. Enlarged prostate is controlled with Flomax & Avodart. Meclizine is for vertigo, take 2 25mg per day, 1 Am & 1 PM. Take 1 Norvasc AM & 1 Flomax PM.
- What drugs cause male breast enlargement (2 answers)
(Asked by a 62 year old man who has Hydrocele, Breast Enlargement, and takes Hydrochlorothiazide, Metformin)
At age 62 breast seam to enlarge over the last two years
More questions for: Metformin, Blood pressure increased
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Bloody semen after taking amlodipine besylate
(Posted by a 50 year old man who has Liver Fatty, Hypertension, and takes Amlodipine Besylate)
Was started on Amlodipine Besylate 11-13-14. Now -not quite three weeks later- I have bloody semen (Hematospermia)ranging from light pink to dark red. It was fine, and normal before. I feel it is the medication causing this.
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Hair Loss, and takes Metformin Hydrochloride)
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this drug should post that this is a side effect as so many have been complaining of the same side effect. I also began having problems with my teeth and always prided myself of having great teeth with no problems. I also understand that if there is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 that this together with taking this drug can cause these issues of hair loss and mouth/teeth problems. Again; I feel this should be totally and more readily informed to anyone taking this drug. I don't feel that anyone should have to give up things important to them to maintain a healthy way of living...I am going to see my physician and discuss what other options that may exist as I am not feeling very comfortable with this drug and the side effects I am experiencing.
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
(Posted by a 67 year old man who has Metabolic Syndrome, Aortic Valve Replacement, Coronary Artery Disease, and takes Nitrostat, Acyclovir, Gabapentin, Hytrin, Metformin, Aspirin, Isosorbide Mononitrate, Ranexa, Hydrochlorothiazide, Carvedilol, Losartan Potassium)
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Amlo dipine and terazosin
(Posted by a 66 year old man who has High Blood Pressure, BPH, and takes Terazosin Hydrochloride, Amlodipine Besylate)
I have taken combination since 04/13 I have experienced ED lower testosterone and elevated PSA. Prior to that I was taking terazosin and hydrochorizide without any side effects. I stop taking the amlodipine during a juice fast and my PSA levels decreased when I stopped fasting and returned to taking the amlodipine my PSA levels rose.
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
(Posted by a 59 year old man who has Anaemia Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Cholangiocarcinoma (liver Cancer), and takes Diovan, Atenolol, Metformin, Victoza)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreatic cancer are similar, is there a link between Victoza and cholangiocarcinoma?
More reviews for: Metformin, Blood pressure increased
- A study of drug interactions between Atorvastatin Calcium, Losartan, Metformin, Glyburide, Bystolic, Pradaxa for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Diabetic Coma, Blood Pressure Increased, A-fib. The patient has Leg Cramping, Weakness
Comments: I stop pradaxa a week before having pain shot for lower back pain. I have no pain or weakness for about a week after going back on pradaxa. This has happended three times now. Can't say for sure the pradaxa is the cause or if that is the amount of time the pain shot last.
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin Xl, Norco, Simvastatin, Tricor, Lisinopril, Metformin, Gabapentin, Phentermine, Topiramate for a patient with Acid Reflux, Depression, Pain, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent, Inflammatory Pain, Weight Loss. The patient has Hair Loss
Comments: I had some hair thinning over the past 10+ years and was told it was due to HBP and medications. Since taking phentermine and topiramate for weight loss along with the other meds hair loss has tripled at a radical rate. I stopped taking topiramate about a month ago and still the hair keeps falling ...
- A study of side effects of Bisoprolol Fumarate for a patient with Hypertension. The patient has Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Comments: Over a period of some two years on the Hypertensive drug it was noticed a possible increase in symptoms that could be BPH. After the two years I stopped taking the drug as it made little apparent difference to the Hypertension. Two weeks later the BPH problem has gone away !!! The only way to ass ...
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Klonopin, Lamictal, Vyvanse, Duloxetine Hydrochloride for a patient with Thyroid Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Mood Disorder, Adhd, Depression. The patient has Hypertension, Muscle Twitching, Eye Twitch, Memory Loss, Confusional State, Tremor, Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine, Eye Zaps, Eye Redness
Comments: I take the following doses of the above listed meds: vyvanse 70mg duloxetine 60mg klonopin 1mg 3xday as needed, levothyroxin 100mcg lamicatal 200 mg. My PCP suspects seratonin syndrome as I have all of the symptoms. Daily, I constantly get an electrical shock feeling in my brain when moving my eyes. ...
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium Gluconate, Butrans, Androgel, Viibryd, Livalo, Tribenzor, Nexium, Metformin, Lantus, Atenolol, Lovaza, Allopurinol for a patient with General Physical Health Deterioration, General Physical Condition, Muscle Weakness, Pain, Testosterone, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Gerd, Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, Gout. The patient has Diabetes Mellitus, Erectile Dysfunction, Peripheral Neuropathy
Comments: Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
More related studies for: Metformin, Blood pressure increased
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.