Metformin and Cataract - from FDA reports
Cataract is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lantus, and have Diabetes. This review analyzes which people have Cataract with Metformin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 191,114 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from FDA, and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Apr, 29, 2017
191,114 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 1,068 people (0.56%) have Cataract
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Cataract *:
- < 1 month: 33.33 %
- 1 - 6 months: 19.05 %
- 6 - 12 months: 9.52 %
- 1 - 2 years: 9.52 %
- 2 - 5 years: 4.76 %
- 5 - 10 years: 14.29 %
- 10+ years: 9.52 %
Gender of people who have Cataract when taking Metformin *:
- female: 63.74 %
- male: 36.26 %
Age of people who have Cataract when taking Metformin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.14 %
- 10-19: 0.27 %
- 20-29: 0.68 %
- 30-39: 3.27 %
- 40-49: 8.87 %
- 50-59: 17.05 %
- 60+: 69.71 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Diabetes (307 people, 28.75%)
- Type 2 Diabetes (232 people, 21.72%)
- High Blood Pressure (169 people, 15.82%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (147 people, 13.76%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (63 people, 5.90%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Lantus (147 people, 13.76%)
- Lipitor (139 people, 13.01%)
- Aspirin (132 people, 12.36%)
- Lisinopril (118 people, 11.05%)
- Humalog (95 people, 8.90%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure (164 people, 15.36%)
- Pain (155 people, 14.51%)
- Vision Blurred (136 people, 12.73%)
- Visual Acuity Reduced (133 people, 12.45%)
- Breathing Difficulty (127 people, 11.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Cataract when taking Metformin?
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 198,696 users)
Cataract (clouding of the lens inside the eye) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol (latest reports from 29,303 Cataract patients).