Review: could Metformin cause Chest pain?
Summary: Chest pain is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes.
We study 97,507 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 2,861 have Chest pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Chest pain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Chest pain >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,041 Metformin users)
Chest pain has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis. (latest reports from 136,865 Chest pain patients)
On Apr, 27, 2015: 97,507 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 2,861 people (2.93%) have Chest Pain.
Time on Metformin when people have Chest pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Chest pain||11.19%||11.94%||8.21%||18.66%||31.34%||17.91%||0.75% |
Gender of people who have Chest pain when taking Metformin * :
|Chest pain||55.54%||44.46% |
Age of people who have Chest pain when taking Metformin * :
|Chest pain||0.11%||0.04%||0.90%||1.88%||5.57%||15.12%||28.36%||48.03% |
Severity of Chest pain when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Chest pain||5.56%||66.67%||22.22%||5.56% |
How people recovered from Chest pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Chest pain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (573 people, 20.03%)
- Hypertension (413 people, 14.44%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (351 people, 12.27%)
- Depression (172 people, 6.01%)
- Pain (156 people, 5.45%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (1,946 people, 68.02%)
- Aspirin (916 people, 32.02%)
- Lisinopril (576 people, 20.13%)
- Simvastatin (446 people, 15.59%)
- Lipitor (428 people, 14.96%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and chest pain on
Do you have Chest Pain while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Chest Pain
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Chest Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Losartan, Zetia for a 54-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Muscle Stiffness, Stiffness In A Joint
- A study of drug interactions between Meloxicam, Chlorthalidone, Spiriva, Symbicort, Lyrica, Omeprazole, Wellbutrin Xl, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar, Metformin, Requip for a 37-year old man with Information, Water Pill, Copd, Tingling And Numbness, Acid Refluc, Anxeity, Diabetic, Restless Legs.
- A study of side effects of Adipex-p for a 38-year old woman with Weight Loss. The patient has Chest Discomfort
- A study of side effects of Concerta for a 42-year old woman with Disturbance In Attention. The patient has Chest Discomfort
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metformin for a 63-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes. The patient has Blood Urine
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Moexipril Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman who has Interactions
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.