Review: could Metformin cause Coronary heart disease?
Summary: Coronary heart disease is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes.
We study 97,507 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,251 have Coronary heart disease. Find out below who they are, when they have Coronary heart disease and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Coronary heart disease >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in type 2 diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,036 Metformin users)
Coronary heart disease
Coronary heart disease (narrowing or blockage of the coronary arteries) has been reported by people with diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 30,651 Coronary heart disease patients)
On Apr, 4, 2015: 97,488 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 1,251 people (1.28%) have Coronary Heart Disease.
Time on Metformin when people have Coronary heart disease * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Coronary heart disease||5.97%||4.48%||1.49%||29.85%||40.30%||16.42%||1.49% |
Gender of people who have Coronary heart disease when taking Metformin * :
|Coronary heart disease||36.11%||63.89% |
Age of people who have Coronary heart disease when taking Metformin * :
|Coronary heart disease||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.26%||2.20%||14.01%||34.10%||49.43% |
Severity of Coronary heart disease when taking Metformin ** :
How people recovered from Coronary heart disease ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (409 people, 32.69%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (162 people, 12.95%)
- Hypertension (81 people, 6.47%)
- Depression (41 people, 3.28%)
- Anxiety (30 people, 2.40%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (813 people, 64.99%)
- Avandia (750 people, 59.95%)
- Aspirin (418 people, 33.41%)
- Lisinopril (320 people, 25.58%)
- Lipitor (280 people, 22.38%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and coronary heart disease on
Do you have Coronary Heart Disease while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Coronary Heart Disease
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Coronary Heart Disease
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Xanax for a 61-year old woman with Diabetic Foot, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Brittle Nails
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Losartan, Zetia for a 54-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Muscle Stiffness, Stiffness In A Joint
- A study of drug interactions between Meloxicam, Chlorthalidone, Spiriva, Symbicort, Lyrica, Omeprazole, Wellbutrin Xl, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar, Metformin, Requip for a 37-year old man with Information, Water Pill, Copd, Tingling And Numbness, Acid Refluc, Anxeity, Diabetic, Restless Legs.
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metformin for a 63-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes. The patient has Blood Urine
- A study of drug interactions between Norvasc, Multivitamin, Horse Chestnut, Omega 3, Saw Palmetto, Metformin, Aspirin, Atenolol, Glimepiride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Fosinopril Sodium for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Deficiency, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Ischaemic Heart Disease. The patient has Peripheral Artery Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Moexipril Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman who has Interactions
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.