Review: could Metformin cause Gluten intolerance (Celiac disease - sprue)?
Summary: Gluten intolerance is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Depression.
We study 97,507 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 10 have Gluten intolerance. Find out below who they are, when they have Gluten intolerance and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Gluten intolerance >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,041 Metformin users)
Gluten intolerance (spectrum of disorders, including celiac disease and wheat allergy) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, hypothyroidism, multiple sclerosis, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 2,286 Gluten intolerance patients)
On Apr, 16, 2015: 97,507 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 10 people (0.01%) have Gluten Intolerance.
Time on Metformin when people have Gluten intolerance * :
Gender of people who have Gluten intolerance when taking Metformin * :
|Gluten intolerance||90.00%||10.00% |
Age of people who have Gluten intolerance when taking Metformin * :
|Gluten intolerance||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||14.29%||14.29%||28.57%||42.86% |
Severity of Gluten intolerance when taking Metformin ** :
How people recovered from Gluten intolerance ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (3 people, 30.00%)
- Hypertension (3 people, 30.00%)
- Multiple sclerosis (2 people, 20.00%)
- Thyroid disorder (2 people, 20.00%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (1 people, 10.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (5 people, 50.00%)
- Atenolol (4 people, 40.00%)
- Nasonex (3 people, 30.00%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (3 people, 30.00%)
- Triazolam (2 people, 20.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and gluten intolerance on
Do you have Gluten Intolerance while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Gluten Intolerance
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Gluten Intolerance
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metformin for a 63-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes. The patient has Blood Urine
- A study of drug interactions between Norvasc, Multivitamin, Horse Chestnut, Omega 3, Saw Palmetto, Metformin, Aspirin, Atenolol, Glimepiride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Fosinopril Sodium for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Deficiency, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Ischaemic Heart Disease. The patient has Peripheral Artery Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar
- A study of drug interactions between Sitagliptin Phosphate, Omeprazole, Prednisolone, Levothyroxine Sodium, Metformin for a 68-year old woman with Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Gallstones, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Coenzyme Q10, ASA, Plavix, Actos, Metformin, Glucotrol, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Zocor, Glipizide, Byetta for a 73-year old man with Hyperlipidemia, Hyperlipidaemia, Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Parkinsonian Rest Tremor, Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependenet.
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Lovaza, Trilipix, Simvastatin, Qsymia for a 43-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Weight Loss. The patient has Muscle Spasms
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Moexipril Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman who has Interactions
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.