Metformin and Irritable bowel syndrome - from FDA reports
Irritable bowel syndrome is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Diabetes. This review analyzes which people have Irritable bowel syndrome with Metformin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 191,114 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from FDA, and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Apr, 22, 2017
191,114 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 232 people (0.12%) have Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Irritable Bowel Syndrome *:
- < 1 month: 22.22 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 11.11 %
- 2 - 5 years: 33.33 %
- 5 - 10 years: 22.22 %
- 10+ years: 11.11 %
Gender of people who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome when taking Metformin *:
- female: 71.63 %
- male: 28.37 %
Age of people who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome when taking Metformin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 1.78 %
- 20-29: 2.96 %
- 30-39: 4.14 %
- 40-49: 17.16 %
- 50-59: 30.18 %
- 60+: 43.79 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Diabetes (46 people, 19.83%)
- Type 2 Diabetes (44 people, 18.97%)
- High Blood Pressure (43 people, 18.53%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (36 people, 15.52%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (18 people, 7.76%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Aspirin (33 people, 14.22%)
- Lisinopril (30 people, 12.93%)
- Lipitor (29 people, 12.50%)
- Simvastatin (24 people, 10.34%)
- Lantus (22 people, 9.48%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Diarrhea (58 people, 25.00%)
- Pain (49 people, 21.12%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (47 people, 20.26%)
- Constipation (44 people, 18.97%)
- Stress And Anxiety (42 people, 18.10%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Irritable bowel syndrome when taking Metformin?
- Check symptoms - is irritable bowel syndrome caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- More tools...
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 198,499 users)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome has been reported by people with acne, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, multiple sclerosis (latest reports from 24,476 Irritable bowel syndrome patients).
Browse all side effects of Metformina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Irritable bowel syndromeIrritable bowel syndrome
Could your condition cause Irritable bowel syndromeIrritable bowel syndrome
What would happen?
Can you answer these questions?
My husband is in the early stages of what is probably Lewy Body Dementia (he has had REM sleep disorder for several years and is starting to show Parkinsonian type muscle tremors, trouble swallowing, etc.). There are interesting studies out there about the potential mitigative impacts of ...
You may be interested in these reviews
one of my close relative female at the age 50 takes spironolactone since a long time.. recently she got pre diabetic. control the diabetic she takes Metformin.. need some information about how safe taking this to meditation. also, what is the good time to take them? is this 2 medication interact ...
Had moderate dry mouth prior to starting Metformin, but much worse and disabling (especially sleep-I'm exhausted) during the time that I have been taking 500 mg daily Metformin. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks. Steve