Review: could Metformin cause Itching?
Summary: Itching is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes.
We study 97,507 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,866 have Itching. Find out below who they are, when they have Itching and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Itching >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,041 Metformin users)
Itching has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 88,292 Itching patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 97,488 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 1,866 people (1.91%) have Itching.
Time on Metformin when people have Itching * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Itching when taking Metformin * :
Age of people who have Itching when taking Metformin * :
Severity of Itching when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Itching ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (323 people, 17.31%)
- Hypertension (235 people, 12.59%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (223 people, 11.95%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (172 people, 9.22%)
- High density lipoprotein decreased (135 people, 7.23%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (1,002 people, 53.70%)
- Aspirin (527 people, 28.24%)
- Niaspan (461 people, 24.71%)
- Lisinopril (268 people, 14.36%)
- Metformin hydrochloride (219 people, 11.74%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and itching on
Do you have Itching while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Itching
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Itching
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Metformin for a 63-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes. The patient has Blood Urine
- A study of drug interactions between Norvasc, Multivitamin, Horse Chestnut, Omega 3, Saw Palmetto, Metformin, Aspirin, Atenolol, Glimepiride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Fosinopril Sodium for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Deficiency, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Ischaemic Heart Disease. The patient has Peripheral Artery Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar
- A study of drug interactions between Flonase, Voltaren for a 65-year old man with Allergy To Animal, Inflammation Localised. The patient has Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Sitagliptin Phosphate, Omeprazole, Prednisolone, Levothyroxine Sodium, Metformin for a 68-year old woman with Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Gallstones, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Restoril, Geodon, Brintellix, Ativan, Topamax, Lamictal for a 36-year old woman with Insomnia, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Anxiety. The patient has Macule, Dry Skin, Blisters, Hives, Itching - Burning Eyes, Itching
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Moexipril Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman who has Interactions
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.