Review: could Metformin cause Kidney failure (Acute kidney failure)?
Summary: Kidney failure is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes.
We study 97,464 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,904 have Kidney failure. Find out below who they are, when they have Kidney failure and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metformin and have Kidney failure >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 100,991 Metformin users)
Kidney failure (loss of kidney function) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, coronary artery bypass, multiple myeloma, diabetes, pain. (latest reports from 57,659 Kidney failure patients)
On Feb, 20, 2015: 97,464 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 1,904 people (1.95%) have Kidney Failure.
Time on Metformin when people have Kidney failure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Kidney failure||10.62%||25.66%||8.85%||14.16%||26.55%||2.65%||11.50% |
Gender of people who have Kidney failure when taking Metformin * :
|Kidney failure||47.37%||52.63% |
Age of people who have Kidney failure when taking Metformin * :
|Kidney failure||0.12%||0.06%||0.36%||0.30%||2.10%||9.70%||20.96%||66.41% |
Severity of Kidney failure when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Kidney failure||0.00%||33.33%||66.67%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Kidney failure ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Kidney failure||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (373 people, 19.59%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (343 people, 18.01%)
- Hypertension (261 people, 13.71%)
- Depression (77 people, 4.04%)
- Diabetes mellitus non-insulin-dependent (77 people, 4.04%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (1,333 people, 70.01%)
- Aspirin (439 people, 23.06%)
- Lisinopril (327 people, 17.17%)
- Lasix (270 people, 14.18%)
- Furosemide (239 people, 12.55%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Kidney Failure while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Kidney Failure
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Kidney Failure
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Byetta, Metformin, Lantus for a 58-year old woman with Diabetes. The patient has Thirst, Dry Mouth, Fruity Smell
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Lipidil, Simvastatin, Metformin, Valproate Sodium, Seroquel for a 59-year old man with Low Thyroid, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Cholesterol, Diabetes, Bipolar Mania. The patient has Sleep Apnea, Anaemia, Red Blood Cell Count, Neutrophil Count Decreased
- A study of drug interactions between Atorvastatin Calcium, Glimepiride, Metformin, Lantus Solostar, Victoza for a 42-year old woman with Diabetes, Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent. The patient has Reflux Gastritis
- A study of drug interactions between Victoza, Spironolactone, Metformin for a 45-year old woman with Pcos. The patient has Vaginal Bleeding Between Periods
- A study of side effects of Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide for a 57-year old man with Hypertension. The patient has Renal Failure - Acute (rapid kidney dysfunction)
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Actos, Metformin, Onglyza for a 24-year old man who has Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Klonopin, Celexa, Clozapine for a 55-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Glipizide for a 44-year old man who has Type 2 Diabetes
- Comparions of Lexapro, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lisinopril, Metformin, Garcinia Cambogia for a 60-year old woman who has Tramadol
- Comparions of Metformin, Propranolol Hydrochloride for a 56-year old man who has Hypertension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.