Review: could Metformin cause Leg pain?
Summary: Leg pain is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are male, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Hydrochlorothiazide, and have Diabetes.
We study 97,507 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 14 have Leg pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Leg pain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Leg pain >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in type 2 diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,036 Metformin users)
Leg pain has been reported by people with high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression, gastroesophageal reflux disease, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 1,087 Leg pain patients)
On Apr, 8, 2015: 97,488 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 14 people (0.01%) have Leg Pain.
Time on Metformin when people have Leg pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Leg pain||0.00%||7.69%||23.08%||30.77%||15.38%||23.08%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Leg pain when taking Metformin * :
|Leg pain||50.00%||50.00% |
Age of people who have Leg pain when taking Metformin * :
|Leg pain||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||14.29%||28.57%||35.71%||21.43% |
Severity of Leg pain when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Leg pain||0.00%||28.57%||64.29%||7.14% |
How people recovered from Leg pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Leg pain||0.00%||20.00%||80.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes (5 people, 35.71%)
- High blood cholesterol and triglycerides (3 people, 21.43%)
- Type 2 diabetes (3 people, 21.43%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (2 people, 14.29%)
- High blood cholesterol (2 people, 14.29%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Hydrochlorothiazide (3 people, 21.43%)
- Metformin hydrochloride (3 people, 21.43%)
- Atenolol (2 people, 14.29%)
- Glyburide (2 people, 14.29%)
- Victoza (2 people, 14.29%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and leg pain on
Do you have Leg Pain while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Leg Pain
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Leg Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 57-year old woman with Diabetes. The patient has Sinus Infection (inflammation of sinus), Cramps - Muscle (muscle contraction), Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit), Runny Nose (discharge from nose), Hot Flashes (sudden feelings of heat), Bronchitis Acute (acute inflammation of the mucous membrane in the bronchial tubes), Low Back Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Cinnamon, Simvastatin, Metformin, Lisinopril, Levothyroxine Sodium for a 63-year old woman with General Health, Blood Glucose, Hypercholesterolemia, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Blood Glucose Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Crestor, Synthroid, Ranitidine, Singulair, Zoloft, Omeprazole; Sodium Bicarbonate, Victoza, Metformin for a 65-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Thyroid Disorder, Acid Reflux, Asthma, Anxiety Disorder, Gerd, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Stomach Pain, Gerd, Cough
- A study of side effects of Farxiga for a 63-year old woman with Low Blood Sugar. The patient has Leg Pain
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 68-year old man with Diabetes. The patient has Kidney Infection
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Moexipril Hydrochloride for a 60-year old woman who has Interactions
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Metformin Hydrochloride for a 40-year old woman who has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.