Review: could Metformin cause Leg swelling (Foot, leg, and ankle swelling)?
Summary: Leg swelling is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Metformin hydrochloride, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 97,386 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 15 have Leg swelling. Find out below who they are, when they have Leg swelling and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metformin and have Leg swelling >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 100,917 users)
Leg swelling has been reported by people with high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression, gastroesophageal reflux disease, hypothyroidism.(latest reports from Leg swelling 1,358 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 97,351 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 15 people (0.02%) have Leg Swelling.
Time on Metformin when people have Leg swelling * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Leg swelling||7.14%||14.29%||7.14%||7.14%||35.71%||14.29%||14.29% |
Gender of people who have Leg swelling when taking Metformin * :
|Leg swelling||73.33%||26.67% |
Age of people who have Leg swelling when taking Metformin * :
|Leg swelling||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||13.33%||33.33%||26.67%||26.67% |
Severity of Leg swelling when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Leg swelling||0.00%||53.33%||46.67%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Leg swelling ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Leg swelling||20.00%||20.00%||60.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- High blood cholesterol (5 people, 33.33%)
- Diabetes (5 people, 33.33%)
- Hypothyroidism (4 people, 26.67%)
- Depression (3 people, 20.00%)
- High blood pressure (3 people, 20.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hydrochloride (5 people, 33.33%)
- Lipitor (3 people, 20.00%)
- Vitamin d (3 people, 20.00%)
- Lisinopril (3 people, 20.00%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (3 people, 20.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Leg Swelling while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Leg Swelling
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Leg Swelling
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What drugs cause male breast enlargement (2 answers)
At age 62 breast seam to enlarge over the last two years
- How to deal with low blood pressure caused by metformin
I was on Accupril 5 mg for more than 10 years with little or no side effects. I was diagnosed with early Type 2 diabetes and the doctor prescribed Metformin 500 mg 2 tablets a day. After about 3 months, the blood pressure was too low 88 Sistolic 45 diastolic and suffered syncope.
I reduced Accupril until I am completely off Accupril. Still the BP was too low and I then reduced Metformin to one tab a day. The BP came back and gradually became too high , i.e., 150/92. I have to put Accupril back on at 5/2 mg then 5/4 mg then finally at 5/8 mg. This seems to be optimal but the Blood Sugar is at just above 100, sometimes 106. I wish to increase Metformin back to 2 a day but afraid Bp will become too low.
Any input would be appreciated.
- Could prilosec cause an elevated blood sugar
I've been on Prilosec for about 1 month & my blood sugars have been elevated starting shortly after I started on it. could Prilosec be causing it? Nothing else has changed with my meds or lifestyle.
- Can cold sores cause bs to elevate?
type 2 non insulin dependent DM. Having severe flu like symptoms when I get cold sore. BS never out of normal range except when I get cold sores!
- I have an enlarged liver...could i use buprenorphine?
I want to know if i can take buprenorphine with an enlarged liver
More questions for: Metformin, Leg swelling
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this drug should post that this is a side effect as so many have been complaining of the same side effect. I also began having problems with my teeth and always prided myself of having great teeth with no problems. I also understand that if there is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 that this together with taking this drug can cause these issues of hair loss and mouth/teeth problems. Again; I feel this should be totally and more readily informed to anyone taking this drug. I don't feel that anyone should have to give up things important to them to maintain a healthy way of living...I am going to see my physician and discuss what other options that may exist as I am not feeling very comfortable with this drug and the side effects I am experiencing.
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreatic cancer are similar, is there a link between Victoza and cholangiocarcinoma?
- Androgel for secondary hypogonadism
Severe swelling in legs, ankles and feet after being on my feet for more than one hour. Pain in calves and ankles. Feels like they're being squeezed or compressed. Pain dissipates after laying down for a few hours. Swelling never completely dissipates. Always some swelling in ankles.
- Olfactory issues due to metformin use
I've found that the metformin does not smell especially bad, but when I first started taking it, I could smell something horrible - to the point where I pulled apart my cupboards and fridge, fully expecting to find some maggot-riddled rotting meat. Eventually I realized I was smelling normal smells as hideous. I was on metformin 1/2 pill twice daily for a month, then a full pill twice daily. After about a month of that, I went off metformin for a week, being out of town without my prescription. When I resumed, that night I thought my husband had hideous breath. After we both brushed our teeth, nothing has changed. I recognized the rotting meat smell from my previous experience, and this is when I decided to cross reference metformin and olfactory issues.
More reviews for: Metformin, Leg swelling
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- was put on Norvasc because of high blood pressure, I take Altace already
it brought down the blood pressure and could go for TURP surgery
after surgery my legs ankles, testicles twice the sice, face flushed , rapit heartbeat,
took myself off Norvasc
swelling almost gone after 1week off drug
- I stop pradaxa a week before having pain shot for lower back pain. I have no pain or weakness for about a week after going back on pradaxa. This has happended three times now. Can't say for sure the pradaxa is the cause or if that is the amount of time the pain shot last.
- I had some hair thinning over the past 10+ years and was told it was due to HBP and medications. Since taking phentermine and topiramate for weight loss along with the other meds hair loss has tripled at a radical rate. I stopped taking topiramate about a month ago and still the hair keeps falling ...
- I have severe swelling of the legs thighs all the way up to my groin which is also swelled up. I have been to the hospital twice to get fluids off but it does not seem to help a lot. I am taking a diuretic 20mg twice a day. The swelling seems to go down while I am sleeping but comes right back durin ...
- Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
More related studies for: Metformin, Leg swelling
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.