Review: could Metformin cause Lower abdominal pain (Groin pain)?
Summary: Lower abdominal pain is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes mellitus.
We study 97,386 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 74 have Lower abdominal pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Lower abdominal pain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metformin and have Lower abdominal pain >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (view latest outcomes from 100,893 users)
Lower abdominal pain
Lower abdominal pain (pain in lower abdomen) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, birth control, osteopenia, pain, high blood pressure.(latest reports from Lower abdominal pain 4,375 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 97,351 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 74 people (0.08%) have Lower Abdominal Pain.
Time on Metformin when people have Lower abdominal pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Lower abdominal pain||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Lower abdominal pain when taking Metformin * :
|Lower abdominal pain||80.72%||19.28% |
Age of people who have Lower abdominal pain when taking Metformin * :
|Lower abdominal pain||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||7.69%||5.77%||9.62%||26.92%||50.00% |
Severity of Lower abdominal pain when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Lower abdominal pain||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Lower abdominal pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Lower abdominal pain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (30 people, 40.54%)
- Metastatic neoplasm (27 people, 36.49%)
- Breast cancer metastatic (27 people, 36.49%)
- Hypersensitivity (22 people, 29.73%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (10 people, 13.51%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (60 people, 81.08%)
- Aspirin (39 people, 52.70%)
- Ambien (32 people, 43.24%)
- Insulin (30 people, 40.54%)
- Lasix (29 people, 39.19%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Lower Abdominal Pain while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Lower Abdominal Pain
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Lower Abdominal Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What drugs cause male breast enlargement (2 answers)
(Asked by a 62 year old man who has Hydrocele, Breast Enlargement, and takes Hydrochlorothiazide, Metformin)
At age 62 breast seam to enlarge over the last two years
- How to deal with low blood pressure caused by metformin
(Asked by a 75 year old man who has Low Blood Pressure, and takes Metformin)
I was on Accupril 5 mg for more than 10 years with little or no side effects. I was diagnosed with early Type 2 diabetes and the doctor prescribed Metformin 500 mg 2 tablets a day. After about 3 months, the blood pressure was too low 88 Sistolic 45 diastolic and suffered syncope.
I reduced Accupr ...
- Methods to manage groin pain in parkinsons
(Asked by a 62 year old man who has NULL::character Varying, NULL::character Varying, Parkinson's Disease, Pain - Groin, and takes Ropinirole, Sinemet)
I have been fighting this for 3 years now and medications do not seem to have provided any relief. Meds taken are Sinemet and Ropinerole.
- Could prilosec cause an elevated blood sugar
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has DIABETES, and takes Metformin, Prilosec)
I've been on Prilosec for about 1 month & my blood sugars have been elevated starting shortly after I started on it. could Prilosec be causing it? Nothing else has changed with my meds or lifestyle.
- Can cold sores cause bs to elevate?
(Asked by a 65 year old woman who has Unusually Long Time Suffering With Outbreaks Of Cold Sores. BS Always In Normal Limits Unless Sick?, and takes Metformin)
type 2 non insulin dependent DM. Having severe flu like symptoms when I get cold sore. BS never out of normal range except when I get cold sores!
More questions for: Metformin, Lower abdominal pain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Hair Loss, and takes Metformin Hydrochloride)
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this dru ...
- Ranexa and erectile dysfunction
(Posted by a 67 year old man who has Metabolic Syndrome, Aortic Valve Replacement, Coronary Artery Disease, and takes Nitrostat, Acyclovir, Gabapentin, Hytrin, Metformin, Aspirin, Isosorbide Mononitrate, Ranexa, Hydrochlorothiazide, Carvedilol, Losartan Potassium)
I have experienced moderate ED with taking multiple heart and NO meds. This has been manageable and acceptable. Cardiologist added Ranexa (Ranalozine) 3 weeks ago and I am now experiencing complete erectile and ejaculatory failure.
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
(Posted by a 59 year old man who has Anaemia Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Cholangiocarcinoma (liver Cancer), and takes Diovan, Atenolol, Metformin, Victoza)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreati ...
- Olfactory issues due to metformin use
(Posted by a 33 year old woman who has Infertility, and takes Metformin)
I've found that the metformin does not smell especially bad, but when I first started taking it, I could smell something horrible - to the point where I pulled apart my cupboards and fridge, fully expecting to find some maggot-riddled rotting meat. Eventually I realized I was smelling normal smel ...
- Metformin changes in mentrual cycle
(Posted by a 55 year old woman who has Menstrual Periods - Heavy, Prolonged, Or Irregular, Menopause Transition, and takes Metformin)
At age 55, I started to enter menopause. When it began to taper off a couple of years ago, only one ovary was functioning, and my periods lasted only 1-2 days with minimal flow. Hadn't had a period in 4 months. Still had some PMS symptoms, but no flow. Was prescribed Metformin for pre-diabetes. My ...
More reviews for: Metformin, Lower abdominal pain
- A study of drug interactions between Atorvastatin Calcium, Losartan, Metformin, Glyburide, Bystolic, Pradaxa for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Diabetic Coma, Blood Pressure Increased, A-fib. The patient has Leg Cramping, Weakness
Comments: I stop pradaxa a week before having pain shot for lower back pain. I have no pain or weakness for about a week after going back on pradaxa. This has happended three times now. Can't say for sure the pradaxa is the cause or if that is the amount of time the pain shot last.
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin Xl, Norco, Simvastatin, Tricor, Lisinopril, Metformin, Gabapentin, Phentermine, Topiramate for a patient with Acid Reflux, Depression, Pain, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent, Inflammatory Pain, Weight Loss. The patient has Hair Loss
Comments: I had some hair thinning over the past 10+ years and was told it was due to HBP and medications. Since taking phentermine and topiramate for weight loss along with the other meds hair loss has tripled at a radical rate. I stopped taking topiramate about a month ago and still the hair keeps falling ...
- A study of drug interactions between Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Vicodin for a patient with Latent Tetany, Neuralgia. The patient has Ear Pain, Constant Thrumming Sound In Ears, Hypersensitivity, Hypersensitivity, Full Body Tetany, Full Body Numbness, Perineal Pain, Penile Pain, Renal Pain
Comments: All of this started after I finished masturbating one night two years ago. Upon climax, I was struck with an instant, excruciating pain in my rectum and scrotum areas. My penis immediately went numb and it felt as though every muscle in my perineum was seized up. I had no control, they would not ...
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium Gluconate, Butrans, Androgel, Viibryd, Livalo, Tribenzor, Nexium, Metformin, Lantus, Atenolol, Lovaza, Allopurinol for a patient with General Physical Health Deterioration, General Physical Condition, Muscle Weakness, Pain, Testosterone, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Gerd, Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, Gout. The patient has Diabetes Mellitus, Erectile Dysfunction, Peripheral Neuropathy
Comments: Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
- A study of drug interactions between Flonase, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Vyvanse, Metformin, Zyrtec, Omeprazole, Cymbalta for a patient with Multiple Allergies, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Add, Insulin Resistance, Acid Reflux, Mood Disorder. The patient has Urinary Incontinence, Fatigue, Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
Comments: 10 yrs ago, suddenly had allergic reaction to shampoo and deodorant that I had used for years. Changed deodorants. Still have issues with scalp flare ups while using any brand shampoo. Only thing that helps is Head and Shoulders medicated shampoo in dark blue bottle.
More related studies for: Metformin, Lower abdominal pain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.