Review: could Metformin cause Muscle atrophy?
Summary: Muscle atrophy is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 97,488 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 115 have Muscle atrophy. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle atrophy and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Muscle atrophy >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,018 Metformin users)
Muscle atrophy (a decrease in the mass of the muscle) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 5,641 Muscle atrophy patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 97,488 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 115 people (0.12%) have Muscle Atrophy.
Time on Metformin when people have Muscle atrophy * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle atrophy||20.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||60.00%||20.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Muscle atrophy when taking Metformin * :
|Muscle atrophy||38.26%||61.74% |
Age of people who have Muscle atrophy when taking Metformin * :
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.01%||5.05%||5.05%||25.25%||63.64% |
Severity of Muscle atrophy when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||66.67%||33.33%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle atrophy ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle atrophy||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypercholesterolaemia (17 people, 14.78%)
- Pain (11 people, 9.57%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (11 people, 9.57%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (10 people, 8.70%)
- Neoplasm malignant (9 people, 7.83%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (82 people, 71.30%)
- Lipitor (25 people, 21.74%)
- Actos (22 people, 19.13%)
- Aspirin (20 people, 17.39%)
- Glyburide (17 people, 14.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Metformin and muscle atrophy on
Do you have Muscle Atrophy while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Muscle Atrophy
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Muscle Atrophy
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan, Actos, Metformin, Synthroid, Invokana for a 53-year old woman with Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Binge Eating
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 57-year old woman with Cough. The patient has Cough Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Bisoprolol Fumarate, Cephalexin, Gliclazide, Glucophage for a 61-year old man with Cardiac Disorder, Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Eosinophilia
- A study of drug interactions between Gabapentin, Celebrex for a 60-year old woman with Fibromyalgia, Spinal Column Stenosis. The patient has Weakness, Muscle Atrophy
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 60-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes. The patient has Heart Rate Irregular
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Metformin, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar for a 50-year old woman who has Diabetes
- Comparions of Actos, Metformin, Onglyza for a 24-year old man who has Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent
- Comparions of Metformin, Klonopin, Celexa, Clozapine for a 55-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Metformin, Januvia, Glipizide for a 44-year old man who has Type 2 Diabetes
- Comparions of Lexapro, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lisinopril, Metformin, Garcinia Cambogia for a 60-year old woman who has Tramadol
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.