Review: could Metformin cause Neuropathy peripheral?
Summary: Neuropathy peripheral is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Metformin hcl, and have Diabetes.
We study 97,507 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 549 have Neuropathy peripheral. Find out below who they are, when they have Neuropathy peripheral and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Metformin and have Neuropathy peripheral >>>
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in type 2 diabetes. (latest outcomes from 101,036 Metformin users)
Neuropathy peripheral (surface nerve damage) has been reported by people with multiple myeloma, osteoporosis, depression, pain, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 27,674 Neuropathy peripheral patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 97,488 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 549 people (0.56%) have Neuropathy Peripheral.
Time on Metformin when people have Neuropathy peripheral * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Neuropathy peripheral||0.00%||7.69%||15.38%||38.46%||7.69%||15.38%||15.38% |
Gender of people who have Neuropathy peripheral when taking Metformin * :
|Neuropathy peripheral||52.95%||47.05% |
Age of people who have Neuropathy peripheral when taking Metformin * :
|Neuropathy peripheral||0.00%||0.00%||0.23%||0.90%||5.86%||21.62%||29.73%||41.67% |
Severity of Neuropathy peripheral when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Neuropathy peripheral||16.67%||33.33%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Neuropathy peripheral ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Neuropathy peripheral||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (97 people, 17.67%)
- Depression (71 people, 12.93%)
- Hypertension (58 people, 10.56%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (57 people, 10.38%)
- Anxiety (47 people, 8.56%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (343 people, 62.48%)
- Aspirin (192 people, 34.97%)
- Lisinopril (148 people, 26.96%)
- Lipitor (112 people, 20.40%)
- Seroquel (100 people, 18.21%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of metformin and neuropathy peripheral on
Do you have Neuropathy Peripheral while taking Metformin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Neuropathy Peripheral
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Neuropathy Peripheral
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Metformin Hydrochloride for a 58-year old woman with Diabetes. The patient has Seveer Upper Back Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Glucophage, Ramipril, Sertraline for a 52-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, High Blood Pressure, Depression. The patient has Hot Flushes, Cough, Headache
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Xanax for a 61-year old woman with Diabetic Foot, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Brittle Nails
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Losartan, Zetia for a 54-year old woman with Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Muscle Stiffness, Stiffness In A Joint
- A study of drug interactions between Meloxicam, Chlorthalidone, Spiriva, Symbicort, Lyrica, Omeprazole, Wellbutrin Xl, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar, Metformin, Requip for a 37-year old man with Information, Water Pill, Copd, Tingling And Numbness, Acid Refluc, Anxeity, Diabetic, Restless Legs.
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Synthroid, Metformin for a 61-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism
- Comparions of Januvia, Glimepiride, Glucophage, Depakote, Abilify for a 45-year old woman who has Mental Disability
- Comparions of Lisinopril, Armour Thyroid, Metformin, Glipizide, Prednisone for a 64-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Metformin, Losartan, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 61-year old man who has Mood Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Metformin for a 58-year old woman who has Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.