Home > Metformin > Parkinson's disease > Metformin and Parkinson's disease
Review: could Metformin cause Parkinson's disease?
We study 97,314 people who have side effects while taking Metformin from FDA and social media. Among them, 117 have Parkinson's disease. Find out below who they are, when they have Parkinson's disease and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Metformin and have Parkinson's disease >>>
Metformin (latest outcomes from 100,833 users) has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes.
Parkinson's disease (latest reports from 59,497 patients) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia.
On Oct, 29, 2014: 97,314 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin. Among them, 119 people (0.12%) have Parkinson's Disease.
Time on Metformin when people have Parkinson's disease * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Parkinson's disease||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Parkinson's disease when taking Metformin * :
|Parkinson's disease||42.40%||57.60% |
Age of people who have Parkinson's disease when taking Metformin * :
|Parkinson's disease||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.98%||8.91%||9.90%||79.21% |
Severity of Parkinson's disease when taking Metformin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Parkinson's disease||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Parkinson's disease ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Parkinson's disease||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes mellitus (20 people, 16.81%)
- Hypertension (17 people, 14.29%)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (13 people, 10.92%)
- Parkinson's disease (13 people, 10.92%)
- Bipolar disorder (10 people, 8.40%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metformin hcl (65 people, 54.62%)
- Aspirin (43 people, 36.13%)
- Lipitor (19 people, 15.97%)
- Clonazepam (17 people, 14.29%)
- Glipizide (17 people, 14.29%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Parkinson's Disease while taking Metformin?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Metformin and have Parkinson's Disease
- support group for people who take Metformin
- support group for people who have Parkinson's Disease
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Metformin, Parkinson's disease
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreati ...
- Olfactory issues due to metformin use
I've found that the metformin does not smell especially bad, but when I first started taking it, I could smell something horrible - to the point where I pulled apart my cupboards and fridge, fully expecting to find some maggot-riddled rotting meat. Eventually I realized I was smelling normal smel ...
- Metformin changes in mentrual cycle
At age 55, I started to enter menopause. When it began to taper off a couple of years ago, only one ovary was functioning, and my periods lasted only 1-2 days with minimal flow. Hadn't had a period in 4 months. Still had some PMS symptoms, but no flow. Was prescribed Metformin for pre-diabetes. My ...
More reviews for: Metformin, Parkinson's disease
On eHealthMe, Metformin (metformin hydrochloride) is often used for diabetes. Find out below the conditions Metformin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Metformin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Recent related drug studies:
More related studies for: Metformin, Parkinson's disease
Recent Metformin related drug comparison:
More related comparison studies for: Metformin, Parkinson's disease
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
44 million health professionals and patients have studied on eHealthMe. Recent studies:
- Phenergan, Imitrex, Protonix, Xanax, Buspar for a 35-year old woman who has Nausea In The Morning - Females, Migraine, GERD, Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension, Chronic Depression (1 minute ago)
- Melatonin for a 58-year old man who has Insomnia (35 minutes ago)
- Abilify, Topiramate, Cymbalta, Adderall 30 for a 30-year old woman who has Anxiety Disorder, Mood Disorder, Chronic Depression, Depression (39 minutes ago)
Recent mobile support groups
- Inflammation and Wellbutrin
- Irbesartan and Platelet Count Decreased
- Pustular Psoriasis
- Pelvic Pain and Birth Control
- Vomiting and Blood Pressure
Recent user comments
- "Generally happens every couple of mnths has now moved ... " (52 minutes ago)
- "Edema of ankles and lower legs, blister-like or pimpl ... " (1 hour ago)
- "I gave myself 2 injections of Humira one on each thig ... " (8 hours ago)