Review: could Methotrexate cause Basal cell carcinoma?
Summary: Basal cell carcinoma is found among people who take Methotrexate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Folic acid, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 129,908 people who have side effects while taking Methotrexate from FDA and social media. Among them, 720 have Basal cell carcinoma. Find out below who they are, when they have Basal cell carcinoma and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Basal cell carcinoma >>>
Methotrexate has active ingredients of methotrexate sodium. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 131,250 Methotrexate users)
Basal cell carcinoma
Basal cell carcinoma (a skin cancer, it rarely metastasizes or kills) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia. (latest reports from 5,211 Basal cell carcinoma patients)
On Feb, 26, 2015: 129,897 people reported to have side effects when taking Methotrexate. Among them, 720 people (0.55%) have Basal Cell Carcinoma.
Time on Methotrexate when people have Basal cell carcinoma * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Basal cell carcinoma||10.94%||10.94%||21.88%||15.62%||18.75%||15.62%||6.25% |
Gender of people who have Basal cell carcinoma when taking Methotrexate * :
|Basal cell carcinoma||67.35%||32.65% |
Age of people who have Basal cell carcinoma when taking Methotrexate * :
|Basal cell carcinoma||0.00%||0.81%||0.16%||1.13%||1.77%||14.01%||16.26%||65.86% |
Severity of Basal cell carcinoma when taking Methotrexate ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Basal cell carcinoma||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Basal cell carcinoma ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Basal cell carcinoma||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (470 people, 65.28%)
- Osteoporosis (56 people, 7.78%)
- Crohn's disease (49 people, 6.81%)
- Psoriatic arthropathy (43 people, 5.97%)
- Prophylaxis (37 people, 5.14%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Folic acid (409 people, 56.81%)
- Remicade (319 people, 44.31%)
- Prednisone (140 people, 19.44%)
- Aspirin (113 people, 15.69%)
- Omeprazole (104 people, 14.44%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of methotrexate and basal cell carcinoma on
Do you have Basal Cell Carcinoma while taking Methotrexate?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Basal Cell Carcinoma
- support group for people who take Methotrexate
- support group for people who have Basal Cell Carcinoma
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Methotrexate, Enbrel for a 51-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Nausea, Abdominal Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Succinate, Methotrexate Sodium Preservative Free, Plavix, Plaquenil, Humira, Folic Acid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 59-year old woman with Coronary Artery Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisolone, Plaquenil, Leflunomide, Methotrexate for a 63-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Folliculitis
- A study of drug interactions between Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Zoloft, Methotrexate, Plaquenil for a 53-year old woman with Hair Loss, Iga Deficiency, Depression, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus Erythematosus. The patient has Don't Want To Socialize At All
- A study of drug interactions between Fluoxetine, Omeprazole, Prednisone, Folic Acid, Enbrel, Methotrexate for a 56-year old woman with Depression, Chest Tightness Or Pressure, Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Tremor
Recent Methotrexate related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.